Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I've had the bike for 3 weeks now and I keep throwing the chain in an odd way. The lower side wraps up and pinches up past the rear triangle and big ring.then I have to tear the chain back thru, a little fun on the side of the trail.

First thoughts are to just remove the big ring and toss some shims on Race Face Chainring Shims > Components > Drivetrain > Chainring Bolts | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop , and take a few links out. I was thinking about a Race Face stinger ( won't work on this frame, my neighbor has one laying around and we tried ) what other options do i have?

I eventually want to swap to a 2x front 22/36 , (the way it should have come) but it's a few months away. Are there any guides/bash guards that work on this frame, and will any of the guides/bash guards work with a 3x concerted to 2x until I buy a different crank set. Please school me a bit.

image.jpg

·
Registered
203 Posts
Remove the big ring and install a bash. and then just lockout the front derailleur. I have done this to both mine and my wifes bikes. She has a Heckler and I have a Bronson I removed the big ring and replaced them with gamut bashguards. I have p20 on mine and a p30 on hers. I wish I ordered the p20 for hers but I didn't know when I got hers. I will post some pictures of mine when I get home.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, now should I throw a small 1.5mm crank spacer in while im doing this to make the small cog more usable ?

I still want to know if there is a usable guide for this bike.

When I remove the big, I should remove about 10 links from the chain?

·
Registered
203 Posts
10009866_515562140481_229699154_n.jpg

Here is an image of the the bash i installed it is a p20. The p20 only supports up to a 34 tooth chainring the p30 will support up to a 38 i believe. I ordered them from gamuts site as they where on sale for like 30 bucks or something.

As for the chain i didn't remove any links on mine, and then the chain device i don't have an answer for that as i don't own an intense. This thread might be of some help http://forums.mtbr.com/intense/tracer-2-double-ring-chain-guide-problem-pics-722281.html

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
133 Posts
When I ran a 2x, I adjusted the front derailleur as close to the left side of the chain as possible. That helps to keep the chain from dropping off.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got my blackspire ring god in, the bolts that came with it do not work for me. The seem a bit long and of course wrong size for the nuts . Hopefully the LBS has something to make it work. If not , I'll return it and order a race Face lite. Sucks have to wait 2 weeks for shipping.

·
kneecap
1,639 Posts
Kinda off topic, but I have the same issue with my carbine & a triple front. It absolutely will not shift down fast front middle to granny without not tossing the chain on the bb shell.
I have an older trance with the exact same drive train, & that never happens.
Does the chain loosen with rear compression on vpp? If so, I can take another link outa the chain I guess..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts