Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
MTBR Mafia
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Already put this in the technique category, but thought i'd give you "noobs" a gander too.

1) start leaning your weight back well before the obstacle

2) Get the front wheel higher and begin to lean forward. (NOTE: at this stage, give a small pump from your feet to the rear tire. as the tire is rebounding from being pushed down, thats when you actually have flight)

3) Pull up on the handlebars, turn your toes so they are almost pointing to the ground and enjoy the ride

4) sorry but its a little obscured. but bring the bike up close to your body and really try to squeeze out those last few inches.

Hope this helps and please ask if you have any Q's

-Cory

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Cool. Thanks for the info. I checked your profile to see if it said where you lived and I was right......the landscape around the house looks familiar. I lived in PHX for 10 years.

Thanks again.

Later.

·
Registered
56 Posts
This is very well done; thanks for the tips and photos!

blk

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
cdub said:
Already put this in the technique category, but thought i'd give you "noobs" a gander too.

1) start leaning your weight back well before the obstacle

2) Get the front wheel higher and begin to lean forward. (NOTE: at this stage, give a small pump from your feet to the rear tire. as the tire is rebounding from being pushed down, thats when you actually have flight)

3) Pull up on the handlebars, turn your toes so they are almost pointing to the ground and enjoy the ride

4) sorry but its a little obscured. but bring the bike up close to your body and really try to squeeze out those last few inches.

Hope this helps and please ask if you have any Q's

-Cory
Hey Cory,

Great instructions. I'm impressed at your skills along with many other techniques like big drops I see you do.

But I'm just not getting it from the snapshots of you and others instructions. It also seems like there's many different techniques going on and I'm getting them confused. Like this J-hop seems a little like a bunny hop procedure shown in the movies by flowmaster, or by Rachael in this series of pics referenced by Cyco-Dude on this thread. What's the difference if any?

It seems you need to start with a manual - sort of a wheelie but not, what the difference? I probably need to practice that. On a lark, I started practicing wheelies a few years ago and the bike flipped up suprisingly fast and I landed very hard flat on my tail bone and about broke my back. So I'm fearfull of trying that again. Maybe on a very padded grassy area? I won't keep clipped in this time either.

Some people talk about twisting handlebars to get the rear up. What's with that? Is it needed? Or is it more important to just do a scrape up and back on the pedals I keep hearing about?

On a different subject of drops, I've seen your amazing pictures of 14' drops. I'm getting that it's essential to pull up with the right timing so you land just right on the rear wheel. I'm practicing the timing on curbs but have yet to get it right. I seem to only land on the rear wheel if I go fast and even then only once in 10 tries. Should I also be doing a manual before the drop like on the j-hop? Again, maybe my problem is just being able to do a manual?

Another thing, on these jumps and big drops, can you jump about the same height on a bike as you can using only your legs off your bike? And same on a drop, does the bike help you take bigger drops than you could (would) do on your feet without a bike? That is, does the landing feel the same on your feet, legs, and knees as if you jumped off a roof of the same height without the bike? I want to make sure my legs have enough strength for landing and I've been checking my strength by jumping off the end of stairs without a bike. I start getting uncomfortable around 4 steps or 3-4 feet. Would that feel the same on a bike?

I may just need to practice a lot more, but in my initial attempts it seems I'm not even coming close to getting it. Maybe I just want to go to a skills clinic and get some advice directly. I also think I need to get smaller and stronger as well in order to get the bigger air on hops and do larger drops (over 3' for me is a large drop).

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
Another question

On the shock forum, you mentioned

cdub said:
are you riding clipless with the heckler? cause you "should be able to do 30" j-hop no problem if the technique is right. if you switch over to flats you are garenteed at least a few inches.
Yes, I use clipless. Did you mean I can get the bike up higher a few more inches with flats? That's odd. I'd think being able to pull the bike up with my feet using clipless would be easier. :confused:

·
MTBR Mafia
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BigLarry said:
On the shock forum, you mentioned

Yes, I use clipless. Did you mean I can get the bike up higher a few more inches with flats? That's odd. I'd think being able to pull the bike up with my feed using clipless would be easier. :confused:
yes thats exactly what i mean. i know its extremely odd and i wouldn't even believe it except i have experienced it first hand. while i am not a real physics guy that can give you an explanation as to why this is, i can say that it works. i rode eggbeaters for a year and could only get about 10 inches if i was lucky. i was going to ride a super burly trail one day and threw on my friends flats. i rode with more confidence and was actually less worried about falling out. so i got home and we had a little trials sesh and i immediately did 25 inches on my first attempt. this was with a gt i-drive too. if you really want to be good at j-hopping it is a necessity to ride flats. please give this a try and let me know how it works. this phenominom happened to three of my friends and myself so im guessing it will work for you. keep me posted if you try it out

·
MTBR Mafia
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BigLarry said:
Hey Cory,

Great instructions. I'm impressed at your skills along with many other techniques like big drops I see you do.

But I'm just not getting it from the snapshots of you and others instructions. It also seems like there's many different techniques going on and I'm getting them confused. Like this J-hop seems a little like a bunny hop procedure shown in the movies by flowmaster, or by Rachael in this series of pics referenced by Cyco-Dude on this thread. What's the difference if any?

It seems you need to start with a manual - sort of a wheelie but not, what the difference? I probably need to practice that. On a lark, I started practicing wheelies a few years ago and the bike flipped up suprisingly fast and I landed very hard flat on my tail bone and about broke my back. So I'm fearfull of trying that again. Maybe on a very padded grassy area? I won't keep clipped in this time either.

Some people talk about twisting handlebars to get the rear up. What's with that? Is it needed? Or is it more important to just do a scrape up and back on the pedals I keep hearing about?

On a different subject of drops, I've seen your amazing pictures of 14' drops. I'm getting that it's essential to pull up with the right timing so you land just right on the rear wheel. I'm practicing the timing on curbs but have yet to get it right. I seem to only land on the rear wheel if I go fast and even then only once in 10 tries. Should I also be doing a manual before the drop like on the j-hop? Again, maybe my problem is just being able to do a manual?

Another thing, on these jumps and big drops, can you jump about the same height on a bike as you can using only your legs off your bike? And same on a drop, does the bike help you take bigger drops than you could (would) do on your feet without a bike? That is, does the landing feel the same on your feet, legs, and knees as if you jumped off a roof of the same height without the bike? I want to make sure my legs have enough strength for landing and I've been checking my strength by jumping off the end of stairs without a bike. I start getting uncomfortable around 4 steps or 3-4 feet. Would that feel the same on a bike?

I may just need to practice a lot more, but in my initial attempts it seems I'm not even coming close to getting it. Maybe I just want to go to a skills clinic and get some advice directly. I also think I need to get smaller and stronger as well in order to get the bigger air on hops and do larger drops (over 3' for me is a large drop).
ok lets see. where to start........
um all of those links you gave me where of j-hops. while flowmaster makes great vids, he is sadly mistaken in calling it a bunny hop. clearly his front tire comes up first. and the same goes for all the links.
when i go for a big j-hop, i dont think about manualing before the obstaclle, its more of a,,,, you cant go up something if your front tire isnt high enough to clear it. so i start to rise my front tire up early because it has to come up so far. this will come naturally and should not be worried about.
as far as twisting the handlebars, thats the most ridiculous thing ive heard in a while. i always keep mine straight on j-hops.
for drops, i usually try to land both tires at the same time or slightly rear tire first. if you are practicing off curbs, try to land both wheels at the same time. you will immediately know you have because it is soooo much smoother than landing front or rear first. if the landing is flat i go rear first, but if its sloped ill do either. and no i dont think you really need to manual before it. again, just enough to keep the tires almost level.
for j-hop vs. vertical jump. i am a rare case, my vertical is 33 inches standing, i play basketball. so i guess that has a little to do with it. but my friend who has "white boy hops" can j-hop pretty high. so i think it has an impact, but they are not a direct correlation.
And no the landing is no where close to as rough as if you did it with your bike. i couldnt do half the stuff i have pics of with just my feet. my ankles + knees would be gone. for the stairs, most people do get a little uncomfortable at that height simply becuase they land stiff legged when the jump without a bike. try really using your knees and it will feel better. you should have no problem doing a 4 stair on your heckler in fact you should hardly feel it.
just keep trying to progress and expect, dont initiate, but expect to crash, that only means your pushing yourself. i could show you so many crashes ive had and all the cuts. and ive sen my shin bone on numerous occasions. bottom line is just keep pushing yourself and going out of the comfort zone. thats when your riding will skyrocket.
please ask me anything else you are wodering about or i didnt make clear, which i tend to do

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
just a suggestion

since many here don't possess your superior skill set for riding, I might suggest that in the "Beginners" forum you take the time to put on a helmet, especially offering jumping advice :rolleyes:

Not everyone in here is a kid without the foresight for protection, just so you know.

I know you're trying to help; in my city (Vancouver) it's law to wear a helmet. Too many kids cracked skulls, that's why. Apparently death is pretty final, even for an immortal 16-year -old that might take your advice.

Jim

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
cdub said:
as far as twisting the handlebars, thats the most ridiculous thing ive heard in a while. i always keep mine straight on j-hops.
I think they're referring to a twist forwards on the grips. That is, the front wheel stays straight, but they're twisting with their wrists to help, along with the feet, to bring up the back end of the bike, from what I understand.

Apparantly you don't do this, at least not consciously.

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
Helmet Lessons

JimC. said:
since many here don't possess your superior skill set for riding, I might suggest that in the "Beginners" forum you take the time to put on a helmet, especially offering jumping advice :rolleyes:

Not everyone in here is a kid without the foresight for protection, just so you know.

I know you're trying to help; in my city (Vancouver) it's law to wear a helmet. Too many kids cracked skulls, that's why. Apparently death is pretty final, even for an immortal 16-year -old that might take your advice.

Jim
cdub has been properly lectured, but it's not clear if it's sinking in yet. See his original thread on his painful method for creating an avator here, along with similar suggestions for his use of a helmet.

We'll see if any of it sinks in so he'll keep his orthodontia straightened teeth in his mouth and his brain matter inside his skull. If not, well,... Darwin has a theory about that. Cory seems like a well-skilled and smart kid so I'm very much hoping his signature is sarcastic....:rolleyes:

There's some signs of growing intellegence on his original thread and maybe here. I don't know if by "FF" he means the Full Face helmet is towards the end of his priority list - a bad sign, or it's a typo for a "burly FS" bike - maybe worse.

Anyway, thanks Jim for helping keep up the pressure on Cory. Maybe he'll at least put on a helmet for pictures.

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
Thanks Cdub

Thanks for the advice on the bike skills. It answers a lot of questions. Now I'm going to have to practice more.

Oh, in case noone's mentioned it. Wear a helmet! At least for the pics and big stunts.

·
MTBR Mafia
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i took those pics before the crash. notice thats the same bike i snapped. i usually try to wear a helmet but i'll never wear one for easy street riding like that. i mean come on, now that i have a strong bike, nothing bad is really going to happen on street. and yes FF is full face helmet. sorry but i still am going with my regular one. i just cant justify spending money on something i already have.

Jimc. so i posted without a helmet. i think your trying to tell me that i influence begginers by not wearing one. do you honestly think next time they try to j-hop, they will think "oh i remember that really good rider on mtbr that didnt wear a helmet, that means i dont need one either" if they think that then they are dumber than me.

i spent effing forever writing up that last post and all i get are lectures on helmets. yes my sig is sarcastic too, hope it doesnt offend anyone and if it does well deal with it.

i'll go film some j-hops on my heckler tommorow and if i plan on posting them, i swear i will wear a helmet. in fact im going to so look out tommorow for the same stairs on my heckler with a helmet. hooray

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
cdub said:
i took those pics before the crash. notice thats the same bike i snapped. i usually try to wear a helmet but i'll never wear one for easy street riding like that. i mean come on, now that i have a strong bike, nothing bad is really going to happen on street. and yes FF is full face helmet. sorry but i still am going with my regular one. i just cant justify spending money on something i already have.

Jimc. so i posted without a helmet. i think your trying to tell me that i influence begginers by not wearing one. do you honestly think next time they try to j-hop, they will think "oh i remember that really good rider on mtbr that didnt wear a helmet, that means i dont need one either" if they think that then they are dumber than me.

i spent effing forever writing up that last post and all i get are lectures on helmets. yes my sig is sarcastic too, hope it doesnt offend anyone and if it does well deal with it.

i'll go film some j-hops on my heckler tommorow and if i plan on posting them, i swear i will wear a helmet. in fact im going to so look out tommorow for the same stairs on my heckler with a helmet. hooray
I very much appreciate the effort you made in your responses. I'm getting a lot out of your advice and appreciate your skill and the time you took to post.

We're just putting pressure on you about the helmet because we care about your head stayin intact so you can continue post more.

You have to use your own judgement. Yea, you're a great rider and are particularly well controlled. But mess-ups still happen when we don't plan them and safety is about an added layer of backup. And yes, as an smart skilled instructor, you are setting an example for new riders that they follow, like it or not.

I also understand a helmet is not a magic shield. We've got a couple of very talented riders here in NorCal (Dan'ger and Old Dog) who were recently laid up with broken clavicle and separated shoulder, respectively, even though they are very skilled riders, and even though they wore helmets that weren't magic. But their accidents could have been worse. Mark (Old Dog) said even his simple screw-up that caused massive pain and permanent damage from a separated shoulder with surgery and muscle grafts would likely been protected with simple body armor that he wears in his BMX riding, where he's at the top of the rankings this year.

There's so many ways to get badly hurt in a big jump that the best protection is being a skilled rider. But again, added protection gear can minimize the down side in the occasional accident. I'm sure you've seen many examples of riders who were saved serious or fatal injuries by a helmet and other protection gear.

I understand your point in that we don't all wear FF helmets and body armor just to ride down the street. There's got to be some reasonable compromise. But helmets are a simple protection that don't cost much or affect you much with the great ventilation of the new styles around. So it's well worth doing.

I'm still looking for a FF helmet myself for doing bigger stunts, and unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any comfortable FF helmets around that can be ridden for long periods. So I'll probably just use it, along with body armor, only for practicing the bigger stunts. As you said, there's probably no learning without crashing.

End of lecture. I won't go here again. It's been said often enough by enough people that I hope you've got the point by now and if not, you won't. I'm very happy to see you were indeed being sarcastic in your signature, as implied with your avatar example. I'm also happy to hear you're wearing a helmet in at least some of your riding. Keep your good head intact and keep posting!

Oh, and I'd enjoy seeing your stunts done on a Heckler if you're serious about that. I think the FS damping will affect the jump in some ways, and I also own an Heckler and would love to see what the beast can do in the hands of a skilled rider.

·
MTBR Mafia
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ya well i already have cleared those stairs no problem on my heckelr ill just be interested to see what it looks like frame by frame in terms of damping or whatever. last time i did those stairs the people living there came to my house to tell my parents what i was doing so ill have to wait till they leave.
oh biglarry you should appreciate this, i dont know if you saw this http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=107137 but right after those shots, i hit the lip wrong and did a HUGE endo off the jump and smacked head first into the hardpack. i was clipped in so i coulndt bail. i was out cold, had massive cuts and my helmet had huge dents from rocks and was cracked. so you see when i go big or do somethin "dangerous" in my eyes, i wear a helmet. so sleep easy tonight knowing that i am smart enough to know when to wear a helmet.
and this was BEFORE i started my extremely long and grueling history with the helmet cops on this site

haha and thanks much for the compliments i try to help some people out.
and you better be checkin this sight tomorow cause im gonna have the sequence ridin a heckler. ahh i cant wait till i find an STP 1 then ill really be able to j-hop

·
Registered
105 Posts
What your pictures show is a bunny hop. Ther is nothing J-hop about it.

The nomenclature of what a j-hop is exactly isn't completely clear, but it entails landing on your rear wheel. (depending on who you ask, it might be called a pedal-up, a japslap, a touchhop, a slap... all of these moves land on the rear wheel)

This is a video of a j-hop, (or something similar)

http://www.trials-online.com/video/japslap_pillar.mov

·
MTBR Mafia
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
nikolai said:
What your pictures show is a bunny hop. Ther is nothing J-hop about it.

The nomenclature of what a j-hop is exactly isn't completely clear, but it entails landing on your rear wheel. (depending on who you ask, it might be called a pedal-up, a japslap, a touchhop, a slap... all of these moves land on the rear wheel)

This is a video of a j-hop, (or something similar)

http://www.trials-online.com/video/japslap_pillar.mov
im sorry but you are mistaken. a bunny hop is lifting both tires up at the same time while a j-hop is lifting gront tire first but still landing even

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
From where I stand

you earn the right to advise beginners.

Check any site with qualified instructors that have, like you, often been self taught. They will all tell you "safety first".

Will your helmet-less shot influence a beginner? If just one, yes 1 kid falls and gets injured because you refuse to be sensible and do only what you want, then you are responsible for that kid's injuries or worse.
If you don't understand what I'm trying to get across to you, then I'm sorry for you. And from the "pics worth a thousand words dept.", here's a video that just might bring the point home for you. I hope so.

Or...be one of the 29,000 traumatic head injury stats each year, that's your choice. but you don't have the right to foist your ideas on beginners, it's just that simple.

Is this a bit harsh? Considering the possible consequences, not in the least. Just as not wearing a car seat belt because of short trip makes zero sense, the same applies for a helmet. After all, you don't need either....until you're involved in a crash.

Jim

·
MTBR Mafia
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
JimC. said:
you earn the right to advise beginners.

Check any site with qualified instructors that have, like you, often been self taught. They will all tell you "safety first".

Will your helmet-less shot influence a beginner? If just one, yes 1 kid falls and gets injured because you refuse to be sensible and do only what you want, then you are responsible for that kid's injuries or worse.
If you don't understand what I'm trying to get across to you, then I'm sorry for you. And from the "pics worth a thousand words dept.", here's a video that just might bring the point home for you. I hope so.

Or...be one of the 29,000 traumatic head injury stats each year, that's your choice. but you don't have the right to foist your ideas on beginners, it's just that simple.

Is this a bit harsh? Considering the possible consequences, not in the least. Just as not wearing a car seat belt because of short trip makes zero sense, the same applies for a helmet. After all, you don't need either....until you're involved in a crash.

Jim
OK i agree with you guys. from now on, ALL pics will have helmets in them although not FF.

·
Registered
105 Posts
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.