Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am fairly new to the sport and am looking to install a new fork on my Trek 4300 with the cruddy RST on it. I have attended automotive tech school and have plenty of tools, but need a good how to to know how to do this. Do I need any special tools? Any links would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
ibleedblackandgold said:
Hi, I am fairly new to the sport and am looking to install a new fork on my Trek 4300 with the cruddy RST on it. I have attended automotive tech school and have plenty of tools, but need a good how to to know how to do this. Do I need any special tools? Any links would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
Try my fork FAQ plus the Park site. But with the Park site you'll get the impression that the job can't be done unless you have all the fancy tools. Errr, not so.

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
ibleedblackandgold said:
Should you always install a new headset with a new fork?
Nope, not unless there is something wrong with the old headset. Or, unless you need the justification to buy a King. "Honey, the guys at mtbr SAID....................!" Then you leave her to us. :D

·
Registered
120 Posts
props to Mike T for such a great page

I successfully changed out an old fork on my steel hardtail this weekend thanks to help from Mike's page. Never would have attempted it had I not read up on all the good info in here. Removing/installing the crown race was the trickiest part, but it took no more than 10 minutes once I knew what I was doing. I'll add things that helped me.

To remove the race, I laid the fork down on my work table, and tapped in between with an old flathead screwdriver with a thin, worn down blade. Holding it perpendicular, and working around it gradually. Once I established a nice gap around it, I moved up to a thicker blade until the race was loose.

To install on the new fork, I used a length of 1 1/4" PVC. By placing the fork over a corner of the table, and holding the PVC tight to the front side, it went on pretty easily. The PVC isn't a tight fit so you have to work one side at a time and hold it snug to that side. Then flip the fork over and tap it down from the back. Gradually it went on nice and even with no damage to the race.

One question for Mike T. - I used your method of taking off/reinstalling grips with Isoprop Alcohol. After about 3 hours the grips hadn't set firm yet? Any idea how long before they dry? Thnaks again for a great page!

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
disco said:
One question for Mike T. - I used your method of taking off/reinstalling grips with Isoprop Alcohol. After about 3 hours the grips hadn't set firm yet? Any idea how long before they dry? Thnaks again for a great page!
I'm glad you used the fork replacement info on my site. As for the grip info - if I remember correctly it took a day or two for the alcohol to evaporate from inside the grip. I haven't used that method (which works very well) for a couple or three years as I've now gone to Odi lock-on grips. I'm never going back!

Mike T. (mcm # 717)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.