Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i understand obviously the more you ride the better you get. but after crushing the last time i rode and breaking my rib..maybe it is better to "learn the basics" first.

are there instructional videos or anything that can help me improve??

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
check your local public library, and see what they have. There are several "guides to mountain biking" that are full of information, from bike fit, simple repairs, and explanations of proper riding techniques.

I can't suggest any particular titles, but there are a few books that convey the same messages. briefly flipping through should let you know if the book will be valuable to you.

yay for old school!

·
Registered
699 Posts
As a beginner last year (and still a beginner). There's no shame in getting off the bike and walking a particular stretch of trail. I'm lucky in that most of the stuff close to me is fairly flat, singletrack, with some logs thrown in to keep things exciting. That made it a bit easier to get the hang of things. I don't know how well videos would work for me. I did buy a book on basic mountain biking skills and read that through. It helped some, but not as much as riding.

Check in your area and see if there is a local MTB club that gets together and rides. Contact someone there and see if you can get someone to go out with you and show you the ropes on local trails. Most clubs would be willing to do this to get other members interested I'd think.

Hope this helps.

A fellow newb...

·
Registered
555 Posts
Slow, Steady, and in control are the most important 4 a begiiner

·
AKA Dr.Nob
887 Posts
Ride with better riders. Watch and copy how they ride the technical bits.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Well you've got the right idea, the more you ride, the better you'll get. If you want some additional help though you could get the book by Lee McCormic and Brian Lopes - Mastering mountain Biking Skills I think it is. One of the MTB mags used to carry inserts from ti every month and there were some good tips from what I read.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Try to ride within your limits, you know what you can and cant do. If you dont feel comfortable in a situation hike your bike past. bottom line getting hurt sucks but sh*t happens.
Try to find yourself a riding partner that is about 10% better than you are. This will help you to push yourself alittle more to try to keep up with your partner. Before you know it you will be bombing all those sections that you were hiking.:thumbsup:

·
Ariolimax columbianus
1,635 Posts
ride a pump track a lot, practice riding up/down a technical section over and over, always look ahead of you on the trail, like others said ride with better riders, ride a rigid bike, ride a singlespeed, get a light- ride @ night, walk some of the trails you ride to get know them a little better- look for new/good lines, build a jump- huck yourself, practice technical log rides, ramps, obstacles again and again, have fun

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
Idriver said:
Try to ride within your limits, you know what you can and cant do. If you dont feel comfortable in a situation hike your bike past. bottom line getting hurt sucks but sh*t happens.
Try to find yourself a riding partner that is about 10% better than you are. This will help you to push yourself alittle more to try to keep up with your partner. Before you know it you will be bombing all those sections that you were hiking.:thumbsup:
Idriver gave you some great advice.

·
Single Track Mind
893 Posts
Riding with people better than you is definately the best way to improve your skills. Just remember to stay within your limits. You will find those limits expanding rapidly.

·
Registered
544 Posts
i rode BMX way back in the day. up until last month i had not ridden in over 10 yrs. i found myself a bit nervous the first time on the trail but it all came back within a few min. i actually found a local rider on this forum and we now ride together. hes a good bit faster than me but it makes me push my pace. my biggest problem is endurance but its slowly getting better.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Finding someone with experience to ride with has helped me ride a lot better as well. If you are looking for a good video to show you the basics, I would recommend Performance Mountan Biking with Ned Overend. I have the DVD, and it is great. I learned a ton just by watching it, and then I was able to visualize what I want to do much better. It cost around $30 plus shipping, but I realy thought it was worth it.

http://www.amazon.com/Performance-Mountain-Biking-Ned-Overend/dp/B0002J8PME

·
Registered
150 Posts
I like the Ned DVD too! Plus it's fun to see all the neon lycra and stuff. About four months ago, I found the DVD on eBay for around $15 including shipping. I think the company that produced the video was blowing them out or something.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Lopes and McCormack book and Mountain Biking Fundementals DVD are really nice. At least from those two you will know how to do it and can visualize it so when you actually experience it, it will be a little easier.

·
My spoon is too big!
881 Posts
ride a pump track a lot
It may be a silly question, but what is a "pump track"?

·
Registered
720 Posts
There is nothing better than just getting out and putting in the miles, but you have to stay under control and know your limits. Like others have said, don't be afraid to walk a section. Even walking it will show you the right line. Nothing works like riding more and more.

Like the hipster on a NYC street corner said when asked; "How do you get to Carnegie Hall?"
"Practice, man, Practice"

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
When I was a beginner the first time I went out for a ride with an "advanced" group the first thing I noticed was how high all their seats were....all were at least as high as the handlebars and some even higher.

So I raised my seat.

So then I kept falling behind in the technical sections because I was afraid to ride the rock gardens with a high seat, so I kept stopping to lower my seat.

And then I had to raise my seat again for the uphills.

And then I had to lower it again for the rock gardens and downhills. You get the picture. I also managed a few OTBrs during the ride.

So finally one of my buddies (after laughing his ass off) took his allen wrench and re-adjusted my saddle (he moved it towards the handle bars)

Then he re-adjusted my handlebars (he rotated my titec hellbents so that the grips were higher up and not swept back so much) I felt like a total dumbass newbie.

Then he took me on a long, long, long downhill and told me to ride with my butt behind my saddle until my chest was touching it..........then he made me ride back up and told me to do this again. It was uncomfortable and my quad muscles were not strong enough to do it for the whole downhill but I kept practicing. (the adjustments to the saddle and handlebar made it easier for me to get my body in that position)

After a few weeks he took me to a STEEP downhill with a 2 1/2 foot drop in the middle of it.....he told me to get my butt behind the bike and get my chest on the saddle and to just roll down the drop.....when I went over the impact of my forks hitting the ground scared the crap out of me but I was able to roll down the drop in total control.

Then he had me do it over and over and over. Then he took me out and we did it at night with lights.

So I basically still suck but at least I can keep up with my "advanced" buddies now and I have not gone over the bars again after that basic lesson.

·
Exploreur de Citée
394 Posts
Read, Learn, Try! (with a helmet) :D

Of course, the more you practice you do, the better you will get. So ride more often!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
osmarandsara said:
When I was a beginner the first time I went out for a ride with an "advanced" group the first thing I noticed was how high all their seats were....all were at least as high as the handlebars and some even higher.

So I raised my seat.

So then I kept falling behind in the technical sections because I was afraid to ride the rock gardens with a high seat, so I kept stopping to lower my seat.

And then I had to raise my seat again for the uphills.

And then I had to lower it again for the rock gardens and downhills. You get the picture. I also managed a few OTBrs during the ride.

So finally one of my buddies (after laughing his ass off) took his allen wrench and re-adjusted my saddle (he moved it towards the handle bars)

Then he re-adjusted my handlebars (he rotated my titec hellbents so that the grips were higher up and not swept back so much) I felt like a total dumbass newbie.

Then he took me on a long, long, long downhill and told me to ride with my butt behind my saddle until my chest was touching it..........then he made me ride back up and told me to do this again. It was uncomfortable and my quad muscles were not strong enough to do it for the whole downhill but I kept practicing. (the adjustments to the saddle and handlebar made it easier for me to get my body in that position)

After a few weeks he took me to a STEEP downhill with a 2 1/2 foot drop in the middle of it.....he told me to get my butt behind the bike and get my chest on the saddle and to just roll down the drop.....when I went over the impact of my forks hitting the ground scared the crap out of me but I was able to roll down the drop in total control.

Then he had me do it over and over and over. Then he took me out and we did it at night with lights.

So I basically still suck but at least I can keep up with my "advanced" buddies now and I have not gone over the bars again after that basic lesson.
lol i see you have good friends. are u suppose to not brake while going downhill? apparently you need speed to run over rocks and other stuff . but i crushed once when i attempted to ride over a chunk of tree roots.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts