Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off what, Exactly does Huck mean. I think it means to Jump or to drop off. and how can some one give me advice on how to drop from or jump off big obstacles (by big i mean 4' or 5') i just got a Trek Bruiser 1 and have only been mountian biking once. let me get some L337 advise from you seasoned veterans. :cool:

·
Registered
73 Posts
wow brief questiong get speed and pull up

start out small and work ur way up, Diff. ways of hucking i'd say learn to pedal kick and wheelie drop which is just wheelieing off a drop and trying to land on your rear whell for smoothness

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Using my E-Authority and forum control I'm overrulling your guys's judgement of a huck. :p

A huck is pretty much any "drop" that you consider to be large. This can be very opinionated which is why a huck varies from person to person as far as what it is.

Ideas on how to huck and suggestions. First off, if you're going fairly slow or at a moderate speed and its to a transition then hold on for the ride, and stick your butt back over your rear wheel and make sure the front wheel doesn't go down once you go off the end. Next, if you're going fast then just hold on and make sure you're not going TOO fast. :p Other ideas, include wheelie dropping which is essentially starting from little to no speed and using a pedal stroke to power yourself enough to pedal the bike off the edge of a lip (usually not more than half a stroke) as well as keep the front end up. Finally, if you're doing this huck to flat then make sure you pull your front wheel up a decent amount so you land rear wheel first, this way it eases the impact on yourself as far as how bad it feels.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I say anythin bigger then "you" is a huck and if it's smaller it's just a drop.... so a midget dropping 4ft is a huck, but shack would have to exceed 7ft to "huck"...confusing.... I know... just ride and a have fun. start small and work your way up. stairs set are fun to practice on as well as loading docks. Now start talking about "jibbing" and you'll open that whole new can o worms..... :p

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Felpur said:
I say anythin bigger then "you" is a huck and if it's smaller it's just a drop.... so a midget dropping 4ft is a huck, but shack would have to exceed 7ft to "huck"...confusing.... I know... just ride and a have fun. start small and work your way up. stairs set are fun to practice on as well as loading docks. Now start talking about "jibbing" and you'll open that whole new can o worms..... :p
Lol, that's well said Felpur.

Just remember that despite what you hear in Mountain Bike Action, what we do is 'freeriding' not "Triple-X Hardcore BlackDiamond Jibbing" :p ;)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
COmtbiker12 said:
A huck is pretty much any "drop" that you consider to be large. This can be very opinionated which is why a huck varies from person to person as far as what it is.

Ideas on how to huck and suggestions. First off, if you're going fairly slow or at a moderate speed and its to a transition then hold on for the ride, and stick your butt back over your rear wheel and make sure the front wheel doesn't go down once you go off the end.
Transition?
how do I manage to both pull up the fromnt wheel and move all the way back before I to off the edge?
Thanks all you guys for you advice, this stuff will probably save me some injuries

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
MaximusNukeage said:
Transition?
how do I manage to both pull up the fromnt wheel and move all the way back before I to off the edge?
Thanks all you guys for you advice, this stuff will probably save me some injuries
Transition is pretty much the terminology that means a slanted landing. So like when you see people drop off of things and the landing is a moderately steep or normally slanted hill then that's a tranny. It basically makes the jump a lot more smooth and eleviates a lot of the forces that result from impacting the ground.

As far as pulling the front wheel up and moving back, for me what's easiest is when your front wheel is going off the edge of the drop, (you should be standing up with knees bent) then move your butt back and simultaneously with that motion pull your arms with you which will pull the front wheel up some. Sometimes my arms even lock from how much I move back, it all depends on the drop and what you think is comfortable.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
MaximusNukeage said:
Jibbing isn't really what most people use when they talk about riding, but if you ever watch the biking movie "Jib" then you'll learn/see (as well as is published in Mountain Bike Action at times) that jibbing is pretty much urban mountain biking. if you don't know what urban means its basically riding in industrial areas or suburban areas where there are lots of manmade stunts to play with instead of trails to ride.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
My personal definition of a huck is a drop that you go off of with significant speed. IMO there are three kinds of drops:
1 - HUCK - you already have speed built up so that the only thing you need to do to successfully land the drop is to pull or move your weight backwards. Prevailent in DH racing, star drops, many general drops that you approach with speed.
2 - Wheelie Drop - More prevailent in urban riding. Here you aren't moving fast enough to easily shift your weight to keep the front end up. Instead you need to pedal a bit to get your front end up.
3 - Everything else - This includes drops where you might bunny hop off the side of a wall. Drops where you pivot the rear wheel over the drop via the front brake and then pull the front wheel off (see Wade Simmons in the Collective), Manual drops etc.

To huck successfully all you need to do is:

- Get a decent amount of speed appropriate for the distance you wish to go. Faster = easier to keep front end up.
- Shift your weight as you are leaving the lip so as to get the proper location or lack-thereof. Downhill landings require less shifting than flat ones. Tip: Don't try and lift up the front by pulling it up or by lifting your weight up. The best and easiest way is to move your weight backwards and as a result you go into a mini manual for a second and the front lifts. It's much less effort and it positions your body properly to absorb the landing.
- Look ahead, ride with confidence and focus on being smooth. Don't look down or you'll nose dive.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
dandurston said:
My personal definition of a huck is a drop that you go off of with significant speed. IMO there are three kinds of drops:
1 - HUCK - you already have speed built up so that the only thing you need to do to successfully land the drop is to pull or move your weight backwards. Prevailent in DH racing, star drops, many general drops that you approach with speed.
2 - Wheelie Drop - More prevailent in urban riding. Here you aren't moving fast enough to easily shift your weight to keep the front end up. Instead you need to pedal a bit to get your front end up.
3 - Everything else - This includes drops where you might bunny hop off the side of a wall. Drops where you pivot the rear wheel over the drop via the front brake and then pull the front wheel off (see Wade Simmons in the Collective), Manual drops etc.

To huck successfully all you need to do is:

- Get a decent amount of speed appropriate for the distance you wish to go. Faster = easier to keep front end up.
- Shift your weight as you are leaving the lip so as to get the proper location or lack-thereof. Downhill landings require less shifting than flat ones. Tip: Don't try and lift up the front by pulling it up or by lifting your weight up. The best and easiest way is to move your weight backwards and as a result you go into a mini manual for a second and the front lifts. It's much less effort and it positions your body properly to absorb the landing.
- Look ahead, ride with confidence and focus on being smooth. Don't look down or you'll nose dive.
What about huge drops like Bender where you have some speed but aren't coming with a ton like you would be in a race? :p ;)

·
Registered
969 Posts
To "huck" is to throw something, ie. "I hucked a rock at your brother..."

This is where the terminology, as used in biking was born. So hucking is "throwing" the bike forward by shifting your weight back. If you are applying power, as in a wheelie drop, you are not hucking, as your drivtrain is powering the bike - not throwing, or hucking it :cool:

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.