Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was wondering if anyone knew anything i could do other than rest and stay off it. i fell on it a couple days ago and its still pretty painful. i can go through a little of my range of motion no problem but the rest really hurts and i cant pick anything up with corresponding hand. should i ues hot or cold on it or just ib profein and rest?

·
Registered
270 Posts
i just went over the bars and dislocated the right shoulder. i could not do anything for about a month. i started physical therapy and it is helping greatly. they do some stretching and range of motion exercises. the therapist stretches the muscles. the impact cause a bunch of them to spazz and get too tight. the tightness was impairing the tendons' ability to heal. you may have something similar.

ice the hell out it. take advil or something similar. my bud is a medic in the military and he explained that the injury generates swelling (duh). the swelling is fluid other than blood. this fluid prevents the blood from getting to the damaged parts to start the repair process. the purpose of the fluid is to act as a cushion to prevent more damage, but it slows the healing process. taking advil will reduce the swelling and get the blood to the damaged areas, which is what you want.

i lost range of motion, so the therapy is key. since you have the range, just with pain, you may be able to get away without therapy. just give it some time.

i ended up buying a stationary trainer so that i could pedal in my livingroom while things get better. it is kinda lame. but it is kinda cool to be able to pedal and watch tv. it cost me $100. it was worth it to me to be able to keep "riding" till my shoulder can handle real ride.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dude im sorry about that, that sucks. i really hope i dont have something like that. i was riding with a freind who checked me out (hes in military) right after the crash and said it wasnt dislocated. thanks for advice *submits message and goes to get bag of ice*

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
affirmative, i have resisted moving. however the lastcouple nights i think i rolled over on it in my sleep and it was painful enough to wake me up :eek: , and very unpleasantly i m ight add :(

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
bbowman88 said:
affirmative, i have resisted moving. however the lastcouple nights i think i rolled over on it in my sleep and it was painful enough to wake me up :eek: , and very unpleasantly i m ight add :(
You should see a doctor...get some vicodin and take them with advil...good stuff

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
will my doctor give me a vicodin prescription if its just damaged and needs to heal by itself? one time that bastard held out on me when i had an ankle that was possibly broken but they couldnt tell from xrays. it was more painful than this is

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
Stick w/the ice for sure. I had/have a level 3 collar bone seperation & after I started therapy, ( which btw is worth it ), the therapist "iced my shoulder down" for about 10-15 mins. after every session, it does wonders for inflamation. Especially "after 40". Therapy & ice down after, no substitute for it. i would've rather have had a broken c-bone than seperated, breaks heal better.

you can toss that .02 in the pennydish if you want.

·
SNOWRIDER
1,564 Posts
Just takes time man don't push it if it is a bad one
unfortunatly the older you get the longer it takes :mad:

·
Registered
643 Posts
learn to sleep the whole night on your back, i know its hard to do but i learned how when i broke my clavicle (collar). I also had to wear one of those figure-8 things to make sure my bone grew back correctly, which it did somewhat. Its not noticable but looked at closely my left shoulder is slightly shorter than my right. if u go to school, dont wear a backpack strap on that shoulder especially if the backpack is heavy. But in any case, take it easy for a while and hopefully u get better soon.

·
Xtremely Moderate
3,098 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
.......get some vicodin and take them with advil...good stuff
...and get a 12 pack of your favorite flavor with a 5th of Wild Turkey, then wait for your liver to fail..............

·
Registered
24 Posts
bbowman88 said:
I seperated my sholder twice within a year back in 96. & it still bothers me when I sleep. A friends was so bad his would dislocate when he would roll over on it wrong sleeping. does it hang lower now.

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
bbowman88 said:
thanks, 2 cents are in dish. by "after 40" do you mean after 40mins?
"40 yrs old" I'm 43. :eek: Bodies heal quicker when yer young & most kids don't even think of therapy or an "ice pack". When you "crawl past 40" your body is slower to heal...come to think of it... it's slower to do everything. O' man... I'm old. Better ride while I can. :D I've seperated both c-bones & I worry about going down hard...but I can't stop riding cause of a 'lil worryin'. Give your shoulder all the time it needs. You got plenty of time to ride. I'm guessin' if you think 40 meant mins. your not even close to 40 yr old or you aren't thinkin' about gettin' older. Use the ice it'll payoff.

·
SNOWRIDER
1,564 Posts
man w/ one hand said:
"40 yrs old" I'm 43. :eek: Bodies heal quicker when yer young & most kids don't even think of therapy or an "ice pack". When you "crawl past 40" your body is slower to heal...come to think of it... it's slower to do everything. O' man... I'm old. Better ride while I can. :D I've seperated both c-bones & I worry about going down hard...but I can't stop riding cause of a 'lil worryin'. Give your shoulder all the time it needs. You got plenty of time to ride. I'm guessin' if you think 40 meant mins. your not even close to 40 yr old or you aren't thinkin' about gettin' older. Use the ice it'll payoff.
Word!!!!!
I am 44 and I will never stop :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
I hurt mine in February when landing a jump a lil to far forward on my skis. It popped it out but I knocked it back in and just kept skiing and takin it easy on it. That was in early february and its just feelin better now, my mom is a physical therapist and one thing that she had me do is find some monkey bars that you can reach while standing (or use a few boxes or something), and exercise it that way. First by gently putting a little bit of weight on it and just exercising it, and then over time working it up to putting all your weight on it. If you do to much to soon with it, even something like throwing a ball somewhat hard, you could tear it and put yourself out for much longer than you wanna be.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.