Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

First I know these kinds of questions have come up before. Most seemed to be older than this pandemic and with todays market I wonder if the responses might be different. Basically what do you recommend in todays market?

I am just getting back into riding and have now made the jump into 29" bikes. Now I am sitting here trying to figure out the best method to sell my old 26" wheeled hardtail. I don't expect top dollar or what not, just looking to maximize what I can get out of it and its parts. The bike is a 2007 Scott Reflex. It has a mix of Deore, LX and XTR for the drivetrain. Front and rear XT 4 piston brakes. XT rotors. Chris King wheelset. Monkey Lite bars. I left the hose on the longer side for the rear brake but I may have cut the front hose on the shorter side to where it will be best suited on a shorter travel fork or replace the hose.

Anyways, with these kinds of parts I am thinking I should part out but is the hassle worth the squeeze. I still have the original Deore wheelset that can go back on and the LX/Deore drivetrain items that could also go back on. The brakes I had to replace and threw the old ones out.

What would you recommend?

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
See if there's a shop near you that deals in used bikes.

I have a store near me that specializes in refurbishing old bikes and selling them for very reasonable prices. I was surprised that they gave me $100 (store credit) for a bunch of parts off of the 1997 Cannondale that I retired from commuter duty. If not for that I would have donated everything to our bike coop or threw 'em away.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If this is with the Xtr and kings and xt 4 piston brakes then selling as parts looks like will get way more. King 26" wheelsets are going for over 500 on eBay and seem to sell fast if they are disc ready. These are. But those prices are what I figured the bike with the stock parts would get. So which setup are you saying for that price range?

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
41,444 Posts
If this is with the Xtr and kings and xt 4 piston brakes then selling as parts looks like will get way more. King 26" wheelsets are going for over 500 on eBay and seem to sell fast if they are disc ready. These are. But those prices are what I figured the bike with the stock parts would get. So which setup are you saying for that price range?
Yep, part it out for more. I thought you were asking what the whole bike price would be. Plus, my quote was more pre-Covid pricing. I’m pretty clueless on post-Covid pricing. Hold on to it and listen up here. Maybe someone with more knowledge on post-Covid pricing will chime in. Either way, more money to part it out. A hassle though, disassembling it and advertising each part and dealing with the flakes out there. Very time consuming and headache constant.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I sold a Rockhopper FSR (2001?) on Craigslist for $300 last March and it was picked up within hours of the listing.

The parting out idea is interesting but you need to decide whether the effort and shipping is worth it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I would list as is...just wondering what type of person would be looking for those types of parts. Just guessing, but they are likely to be quite frugal if they are looking for older parts, especially anything specific to 26" standards. It's possible you will find a dad/mom looking for parts for their kids' bike, since there seems to be a set of companies that make 26" bikes to fill the gap between 24" to 27.5".

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
Occasionally Cranky
5,442 Posts
More money to part it out, usually. Shipping stuff these days is pricey so take that into account, especially the larger bits like wheels, frame or the whole bike. If you don't know the shipping before selling online, you could end up losing money.

If you live in an urban area, see what bites you get on Facebook marketplace or similar, but expect to get tons of flakes/lowballs/scum/resellers. And it goes without saying, meeting in a public place with lots of people around and/or the police station is pretty much mandatory for safety.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. I do not do facebook. Currently I am thinking sell the wheels and maybe the xtr items then list the bike locally, with the original parts of course. I already have the box for the wheels. Shipping, even if $50, still would leave me $425+ (ebay fees.) I will have to leave the XT 4 piston brakes on the bike though. Maybe I can sell it as XT 4 piston brakes and rotors front and rear and you get a free bike to go with them :D:ROFLMAO:.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
41,444 Posts
What is a gravel bike?
They look like a road bike but have stronger rims and larger tires to be able to ride trails / gravel. Gravel is just what they call them because they are kind of a hybrid between the two disaplines. Road and mountain bike.

Bicycle Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Tire Bicycle wheel rim

1 - 15 of 15 Posts