Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so how can i get my girlfriend more interested in riding she rides with me now but it is not all that often maybe 5 or so rides last year she has her one bike a cannondale f5 with a fox vanilla fork i did the up grade trying get her to ride more she likes it because we have the same name brand forks. so what should i do. what can i do..

·
Registered
745 Posts
If she's really not into it, she's just really not into it. You can't force someone to want to ride with you, but if you truly want to try something - ask her why she doesn't want to ride more often and address the issue with her at that point. It might come down to something as simple as her wanting you to do more of the things she wants to do, or she might be nervous and you're taking her on trails that scare her. Be prepared for an, "I'm just not that into riding," though.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Forget about the equipment, but make sure she's comfortable. Keep it social (i.e. slow it to her pace and have a conversation if she wants to talk; don't play superhero and blaze ahead). Don't worry about technique, skills building, whatever -- unless she asks for it. Chill. Make it fun and low-pressure. She'll turn it up when she's ready.

·
Ultimate Slacker
49 Posts
Andrea, you can go ahead and gag on this punctuation.

Im not sure of her background and how much she has rode so I'm just replying as if she is a beginner.

You need to start out by riding all dirt trail with no obstacles. She will need to get comfortable with her bike on easy rolling hills. Once she is having fun doing that, work her up to your favorite trail. Intimidating trails are an automatic turn off. If she won't go over or down something, just say okay and that you'll try it next time. No big deal. Don't downplay an obstacle. If she isn't comfortable, then she isn't comfortable. Build her up by telling her how good she is at the rest of the trail and eventually she might come around to trying some more stuff.

Try to get another couple to ride with you. Sometimes having another female along will make a woman more confident or cmpetitive and they will try something they would not normally try.

Stop and take breaks! Not everyone likes to go go go. Bring some bars or snacks and find a place to stop and talk. Ask her how she feels about riding. Ask her what she is scared of or what she isn't comfortable with. Remember to tell her what scares you and that its okay to take it slow and skip some obstacles. Refrain from telling her gore stories of bike wrecks.

If she still isn't taking the bait, like a previous poster said, she may just not like to ride. Sad thought but a true one.

My post is a generalization and does not mean that it will work on every woman.

I really hope that she will continue to ride with you when she does and even more. We need more women on the trails. Have fun and good luck!

·
Blue Pig
1,553 Posts
motoxkfx123 said:
Ok so how can i get my girlfriend more interested in riding she rides with me now but it is not all that often maybe 5 or so rides last year she has her one bike a cannondale f5 with a fox vanilla fork i did the up grade trying get her to ride more she likes it because we have the same name brand forks. so what should i do. what can i do..
Plain and simple. If you want your g/f to ride with you on some trails then why not do what she likes first? Do it for a week or two. Once that's said and done she should try riding a bit more. Just like what, Swthrtsuzy said :p you can't force anyone into something. :nono:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok well i could not write much she was right next to me and i did not want her to know i was asking for help from other people. She is new to riding but she is not really afraid of things in less it to crazy like bombing down a hill over jumps.She likes log crossings and small jumps you can tell she is still unsure of her self on a bike and i think that is a big part.
I always wait for her on trails never going more that 50 to 60 feet ahead of her but i do tend to push her a little harder than i should on hills and climbs so like you all said i will shut up and let her learn at her one pace. so i guess she is in to riding but i would be nice if she would ask me to go riding sometime instead of me having to ask her all the time that is what makes me think she dose not enjoy it much.

·
Blue Pig
1,553 Posts
Andrea138 said:
Because if I were his girlfriend, I would expect him to use proper grammar when asking for advice regarding me.... that, and I'm a smartass.
Well, it is apparent that you're not his girlfriend, dumbass.

Oops! I meant smartass... seriously... :thumbsup:

·
Dirty South Underdog
1,733 Posts
Ok, I'll add something slightly more constructive than advice about grammar.

Let's try role reversal:
Pretend for a minute that she is really, really in to ballet dancing. She loves it so much that she wants to share the fun of ballet with you. Would you be willing to learn? Who would you want to teach you? Her or someone else? Would you be interested in a beginners' class? Would it be more appealing if you could find other guys that were into ballet to help you get started? What if you sucked? Would you feel like crap if she saw how badly you sucked at ballet or if she felt like you'd never learn?

Now, substitute "mountain bike" for those questions and think about all of them from her point of view.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
WickedGood said:
Withhold sex until she hits the trail with you. If that doesn't work get a new girlfriend-- one that mountain bikes.
Excellent advice... after all, anyone who reads these forums knows how easy it is to find hot chicks who mountain bike.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Andrea138 said:
Let's try role reversal:
Pretend for a minute that she is really, really in to ballet dancing. She loves it so much that she wants to share the fun of ballet with you. Would you be willing to learn? Who would you want to teach you? Her or someone else? Would you be interested in a beginners' class? Would it be more appealing if you could find other guys that were into ballet to help you get started? What if you sucked? Would you feel like crap if she saw how badly you sucked at ballet or if she felt like you'd never learn?

Now, substitute "mountain bike" for those questions and think about all of them from her point of view.
This... now THIS is a damn fine example -- one which I will do my best to NEVER, EVER show to my wife or my sister. Thank god they didn't see this years ago, or I'd be wearing a tu-tu over a mantard this morning.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.