Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a Stance Kingpin from Jensonusa.com cuz they we're $100 and I'm just gonna put it away for an extra fork. I'm thinking of building a cheap freeride bike and putting this fork on it. Anyway, I heard that the seals blow on this thing. It's something to do with an O-ring being too small and letting air into something which blows something else....I don't know the details. Do I buy a new O-ring or something. I just want some advice on what to do with it to make it better or fix it if the seals blow. I also heard you can swap the oil or springs to make it better. What's the scoop on that? I don't want some reply that says,"The Kingpin is a piece of junk, throw it in the trash and buy a 888" that doesn't help me. I can't afford a 888. I just want to make the best of this Kingpin. Thanks

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Manitou was replacing the seals on them as from what I heard the first batch of them had bad seals (on all Stance forks) and so manitou was just dealing with it as a warranty issue and replacing them for people.

·
N* Bomber Crew
4,271 Posts
I was gonna say "Don't buy it in the first place..." buuut.....

First things first, get new seals from Manitou. I believe you need to upgraded ones (Evil Guieness Seals) and pop em in there. Second, remove ALL the grease. Get out all that you can of it. Third, put in oil (You choose the weight).

Now those are options I have heard, I don't know entirely if they work or not. Expirement around, just know that the options are there.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hope this helps

cummings said:
I ordered a Stance Kingpin from Jensonusa.com cuz they we're $100 and I'm just gonna put it away for an extra fork. I'm thinking of building a cheap freeride bike and putting this fork on it. Anyway, I heard that the seals blow on this thing. It's something to do with an O-ring being too small and letting air into something which blows something else....I don't know the details. Do I buy a new O-ring or something. I just want some advice on what to do with it to make it better or fix it if the seals blow. I also heard you can swap the oil or springs to make it better. What's the scoop on that? I don't want some reply that says,"The Kingpin is a piece of junk, throw it in the trash and buy a 888" that doesn't help me. I can't afford a 888. I just want to make the best of this Kingpin. Thanks
A post here talks about fixing one. I have no idea if it works. It is like the third or fourth post, I think.

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/2005_front_shocks/product_124412.shtml

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Raptordude said:
First things first, get new seals from Manitou. I believe you need to upgraded ones (Evil Guieness Seals) and pop em in there. Second, remove ALL the grease. Get out all that you can of it. Third, put in oil (You choose the weight).

Now those are options I have heard, I don't know entirely if they work or not. Expirement around, just know that the options are there.
It says that the 05 kingpins already come with evil genius seals.

·
kona-tize me captain
3,117 Posts
cummings said:
It says that the 05 kingpins already come with evil genius seals.
take out all the internals etc and fill the fork with several different types of candy. that way when the fork snaps in half you wont be mad you will actually be very happy cause there will be candy everywhere just waiting for you to gather and eat!

just take out all the grease and put oil in the fork thats the main thing i hear about the fork

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
austinb89 said:
take out all the internals etc and fill the fork with several different types of candy. that way when the fork snaps in half you wont be mad you will actually be very happy cause there will be candy everywhere just waiting for you to gather and eat!
DH pinata...............

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.