Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I got two new kevlar pucture resistant tyres when I bought my new bike, but decided to change to a pair of used slick tyres as soon as I assembled the bike from the flat pack. Still remembered my housemate and I had a hard time to get those tyre out of the wheel.

Now, with hindsight I should have left them on as I am doing more off road than on road. So decided to put them back on.

And this time no matter what I tried I just couldn't managed to force the tyre onto the wheel. I can only managed to fit one side of the tyre into the wheel then put in the tube and when I tried to 'close' the other side of the tyre it just never flexible enough to go in.

any tips or tricks to fit a tyre?

thanks

·
Registered
500 Posts
Put some dish soap in a glass (a couple tablespoons, then fill it warm water.......

dunk a rag in the soapy water and go around your tire bead.... then use some tire spoons to get the tire on the rim...

another thing to do is put the tube inside the rim with very little air in it inside the tire before trying to put it on the rim...

some tires are really tough to get on the wheel..

I have some tires that are almost impossible to take off of the wheel.. they are not so hard to put on though

·
Registered
55 Posts
another little tidbit for those interested is to make sure that the base of the stem on the tube is allowing enough room to let the tire seat. I can't count how many times that thicker part of the tube has pushed the bead of a tire up too high to seat. When I am installing a Presta tube I will thread the nut just barely on once the tube is installed, or the adapter if you're going to use one. Then, push the stem in a bit to back the base of the stem away from the rim. Also, on high pressure tires, air up to 20 psi and make sure the bead is seating evenly, then take it up to 100+.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.