Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and did not have any luck. How do i fine tune the xtr caliper's. My front brake rotor is rubbing just a tiny bit and I can not figure out how to adjust them?
The rear was perfect but having trouble with the front.

Thanks!

·
Registered
510 Posts
The spacers look like little sheet metal 2-prong forks. Mine needed more adjustment than what came with them so I just ended up using regular small washers from the hardware store.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When i am looking at the front of the bike i can see the rotor is hitting the right brake pad, if i add more washers it will just magnify the problem. There must be something that i am missing or enterpreting wrong.

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
It does depend on whether you have post mount or international standard mount calipers.
post mount = caliper bolts are paralell to the rotors. In this case you should be able to loosen the bolts, squeeze the brake lever, then tighten the bolts while holding the lever.
Interntational Standard = caliper bolts are perpendicular to the rotors. In this case you need the shims or thin washers as others mentioned.

good luck!

·
the catalan connection
1,266 Posts
You need a little more distance between the fork disc tabs and the left flange of the hub (where the disc rests).Either you get the fork´s tabs faced or add a 0.5/1mm shim to the left (standing on bike) side hub locknut (or whatever) assembly to make the left leg of the fork move away a little bit .Make sure you haven´t missed a washer if ever rebuilt the front hub for an overhaul or bushing rebuilt.
hope helped, cheers

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That will put the rotors further to the right, i want the rotor to sit further to left (if am looking at the head tube)

XSL_WiLL said:
So put washers between the rotor and the hub...

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That definitely helps me realize this is going to be a little bit harder than i expected but I REALLY appreciate the advice and input!:thumbsup:

It's a king hub so there were no washers to missplace.

What&son said:
You need a little more distance between the fork disc tabs and the left flange of the hub (where the disc rests).Either you get the fork´s tabs faced or add a 0.5/1mm shim to the left (standing on bike) side hub locknut (or whatever) assembly to make the left leg of the fork move away a little bit .Make sure you haven´t missed a washer if ever rebuilt the front hub for an overhaul or bushing rebuilt.
hope helped, cheers

·
Registered
596 Posts
Pull the pads out, using a large flat blade screwdriver force the pistons back into the caliper. Use your thumbs. Use a flashlight and look into area where the brake pads were. There are narrow notches at both ends of the caliper; the rotor should be centered in those notches. Shims go between caliper and mount. Shimming the caliper is only required with IS mount (2 holes 51mm apart). For post mount just line it up and tighten the bolts up.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
cbrock450 said:
That will put the rotors further to the right, i want the rotor to sit further to left (if am looking at the head tube)
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying

Assuming you have an IS caliper...

If your rotor is currently hitting the pad closest to the hub (inboard), you need to either shim the caliper in or the rotor out.

If your rotor is hitting the pad on the outside (outboard), you need to remove caliper shims. If there are none, you may need to face the disc tabs.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Exactly, no shims in the caliper so it sounds like i need to face the disc tabs.:madman:

Thanks for the clarification!:thumbsup:

If your rotor is hitting the pad on the outside (outboard), you need to remove caliper shims. If there are none, you may need to face the disc tabs.[/QUOTE]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts