Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
325 Posts
I've got a GoPro knockoff and as far as I can tell, the battery lasts about an hour. How do those YouTubers film these long 2-3 hour races?
They either:

1. Stop and change out batteries during the race
2. Use an external power source(battery bank or a gimbal's battery) to supplement the GoPro's battery
3. Stop and start the camera during the race to preserve power

·
Old, Slow and now FAT! :)
2,640 Posts
I don't know about GoPro knock offs, but for my Hero 7 black I run this with an external power pack. This would not work with a gimbal but with the Hypersmooth stabilization it works very well. Recording is only limited by the size of the memory card. At 4:3 2.7K with hypersmooth I get around 4 hours recording with a 128GB memory card.

To connect the camera to the external battery pack I use this. I also have a 48" length one. Works well.

My latest recording was done entirely this way.

·
No Clue Crew
4,107 Posts
I can guarantee that filming a race that is 2 to 3 hours long still doesn't have more 5 or 10 minutes of interesting material in them. Even guys that run downhill and urban downhill races with 4 or 6 minute times could edit their footage down.

Push the record button when you wanna record an interesting part and push it again when done. If it's a 2 or 3 hour race you are probably doing laps so you could use the first lap entirely for recon so you know where to turn it on and off the next laps.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know, right? Imagine trying to dig through 3 hours and trying to find interesting footage for an XC race. I see your point, but if you're actually racing to race, I can't see thinking about if there's an interesting section coming up and fiddling with the on/off button.
In my case, I'm just pack-filler, so I can do the on/off thing.

I can guarantee that filming a race that is 2 to 3 hours long still doesn't have more 5 or 10 minutes of interesting material in them. Even guys that run downhill and urban downhill races with 4 or 6 minute times could edit their footage down.

Push the record button when you wanna record an interesting part and push it again when done. If it's a 2 or 3 hour race you are probably doing laps so you could use the first lap entirely for recon so you know where to turn it on and off the next laps.

·
No Clue Crew
4,107 Posts
if you're actually racing to race, I can't see thinking about if there's an interesting section coming up and fiddling with the on/off button.
True, but, if you are racing to race you probably aren't worried about creating a video ride report :)

Maybe upgrading to the a newer GoPro with Voice Activated control would be a good purchase?

·
Registered
143 Posts
If it's got an LCD on the back, make sure it turns off after a few seconds. That's where your battery goes.

External battery packs.

Most likely though, they aren't filming the whole 3 hours. I film every ride with a gimbal on the chest, but I know when to power it off and on.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I'm not a racer but have a decent following on YouTube. If I"m riding somewhere new, I leave the camera filming most of the ride. Mostly because I have no idea what is going to happen. Then basically am changing batteries out all day. When editing, I can basically remember the sections I want to get to in the footage that were good, or when something funny or cool happened. I'll tend to turn it off if I know it's a long climb unless I want to use that time to talk to the subscribers about something. I'm friends with almost all of the big youtubers and there is only one or two of them that I know were using an external battery.

If I'm riding somewhere local I know, I only turn it on when it's something I know will be good for the edit. I usually ride with a gimbal. Those batteries last forever, so I typically leave the gimbal on even when the camera is off.

I hope that helps.

·
Banned
203 Posts
I'm not a racer but have a decent following on YouTube. If I"m riding somewhere new, I leave the camera filming most of the ride. Mostly because I have no idea what is going to happen. Then basically am changing batteries out all day. When editing, I can basically remember the sections I want to get to in the footage that were good, or when something funny or cool happened. I'll tend to turn it off if I know it's a long climb unless I want to use that time to talk to the subscribers about something. I'm friends with almost all of the big youtubers and there is only one or two of them that I know were using an external battery.

If I'm riding somewhere local I know, I only turn it on when it's something I know will be good for the edit. I usually ride with a gimbal. Those batteries last forever, so I typically leave the gimbal on even when the camera is off.

I hope that helps.
With the right gimbal, one that also powers your Gopro, you can capture at 4k for just over two hours without swapping batteries.

Otherwise, the OP can skip the gimbal and power via an external battery if they don't want to be stopping and starting the battery during the race (a race which was probably already held at this point in thread resurrection)

·
Old, Slow and now FAT! :)
2,640 Posts

I hope that helps.
I've found that using the Hero 7 chin mount with external battery is entirely feasible but I agree that for use with gimbal that changing out batteries is still the order of the day. I know that Brian was talked about being after a gimbal/GoPro solution that could just run off an external battery all day long. Isn't he now running the Hero 7 with the Karma grip that you can power from GoPro's own external batteries?

I still use my Evo SS with Hero 4 for most videos but just in the last couple of weeks I have started to seriously consider switching full time to the Hero 7 on the chin mount run full time on battery. This works very well and the battery connection is water proof as well.

·
Banned
203 Posts
I know that Brian was talked about being after a gimbal/GoPro solution that could just run off an external battery all day long. Isn't he now running the Hero 7 with the Karma grip that you can power from GoPro's own external batteries?
You cannot power the Grip via an external battery bank while it is in use, even when using the GoPro branded external battery.

Fortunately, it’s quick and easy to just change out to a fresh Grip battery after ~2 hours of capture.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts