Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the wind has been kicking my butt lately. everytime i go, at least 1/2 of my ride is against the wind, that i think in inevitable. What i want to know is how can i train to fight the wind, or is it just get out there and do it.

lets take today for example, currently the wind is 30mph gusting to 40mph, yesterday it was about 15 gusting to 25. i can only do a few miles against the wind, then i am pooped out.

also if i go today it will be my 10th ride of the year, mostly road as there are no trails or hills in my area.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Grasshopper, you must use the forces to your advantage. Of course you will work harder, but settle into a steady rythm and keep pedaling. Don't think of going fast, just keep moving like your climbing a huge hill. Slow and steady. Those are some strong winds, so use your common sense when it gets to be to much.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats what i figured, it just really sucks when you cover 1/2 the distance in triple the time, but i guess that means i am working harder than if i am riding with the wind.

i just have to get out of this state, i graduate in 1 year so then hopefully i can leave ND :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
brschmid said:
thats what i figured, it just really sucks when you cover 1/2 the distance in triple the time, but i guess that means i am working harder than if i am riding with the wind.

i just have to get out of this state, i graduate in 1 year so then hopefully i can leave ND :)
Are you trying to get somewhere? If not, why do you care? I hate riding in the wind, but if you are training, the wind can be your friend, especially if you live in a place without long climbs -- like North Dakota. Don't worry about speed or distance, just put out the same effort as you would without the wind. And always start by riding into the wind, so it can push you home.

If you want to get somewhere in specific amount of time, then I don't know what to tell you. The wind makes you go slower, it makes everyone go slower. There's nothing you can do but get stronger.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
not really go anywhere specific, just my normal ride, unfortunately the way i go, (sw of town) means that 1/2 of my ride back is against the wind.

·
Registered
168 Posts
brschmid said:
I'm surprised you're in ND... It's blowing just like you discribe in Ridgecrest, Ca right NOW! :D

I just finished mounting up a new set of Spiders and want to go try them out but the WIND IS HOWLING 35+ :eek: No fun on the ridgeline behind my house and I draw the line when it starts blowing sand. :rolleyes:

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
It is a lot like riding up hill.

You have to learn to love it and manage yourself differently. Drop a gear and you will last longer.
I was out last night by the Bay and my return was into the teeth of the northwesterly wind right off the water. People coming at me were smiling and flying. I had my head down, full tuck, elbows in, and pushing my 42/19, then the 21. It was fantastic; mega fresh sea breezes into my lungs and sweping across my body. Awesome. I didn't break any records and when I got home I was tapped out, but I was loud and full of energy.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Homer Simpson said:
Just think of it as interval training, a long interval that seems to never end.
Ya, I ended up going out for a 12 mile loop. Wasn't bad once I got out....except the one time I tried to blow me down as I crested a climb! :eek: Had to ride the new tires! :D

We have a saying here " If you don't ride in the wind, you don't ride " ;)

·
Registered
776 Posts
Same here in sunny Florida, no hills but big wind.

It's all psychological. Going up a hill if you pedal twice as hard you go twice as fast, into the wind you only go fractionally faster. It can be demoralizing. Use youre "effort" meter instead of the spedometer and you'll at least feel better about it. Still wont' get anywhere fast but at least you won't be bummed about it.

Ron

·
suck it trebeK
418 Posts
shiggy said:
The wise rider plans his ride so there is a tailwind on the way back.
I tend to forget this :D

I always forget about the wind. I'll be cruising along thinking "wow I'm making good time!" and then I'll turn around only to find the wind howling against me. It sucks taking 3x the energy and time to get back home lol.

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
shiggy said:
The wise rider plans his ride so there is a tailwind on the way back.
Indeed. Deal with the wind if you can or change your route so you get a nice push on the way home.

The last time I planed a ride, I ended up with a cross wind for the majority of a ride. That was fun on a 7Kg road bike. Joy! :eek:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Oklahoma is no better.

After a quick 8 mile ride of just playing around town, I was on my final stretch of road. The last mile is on campus (OSU) and the road is full of speedbumps/crosswalks. The wind was to my back, so I was cruising down the road nicely getting some good air and distance on the jumps. I guess a building deflected the wind, and a huge gust hit me broadside right in the middle of a jump. It pushed me over and I landed really really wierd. I was just glad to land on both wheels and pedal out. :eek: I took the next few speedbumps a little slower. :p

Overall, wind sucks (unless its at the lake w/ the jet ski :D )

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I biked from NJ to MT several years ago and along the way a heat wave of 95 degree temps followed me with a head wind. Of the 41 days on the road I had 3 days with no wind and one day with a tail wind. I fought the wind day in and day out. I finally accepted the fact that the wind was going to ruin me if I didn't change my attitude. It was either defeat the wind or it was going to defeat me. After that I could cover up to 140 miles a day into the wind and heat and looked forward to more of the same the next day.
My one day with a tail wind began around 4 am when I got up to go to the bathroom. I noticed immediatly that the wind had changed from the west and was now coming from the east. My spirits soared and I packed up my gear and hit the rode. By noon I'd gone 120 miles. I was flying with a 20-30mph tail wind. I could cruise at 20 mph on my 85 pound bike with little effort. When I hit 150 miles with hours of daylight left I was sure I could reach 200 miles by the end of the day. Then this crazy ND thunderstorm came out of no where and I had to hide out in my tent. I ended up at 163 miles, the longest I've ever ridden. I was so strong from riding into the wind for so long that when the wind changed I could fly. The next day I was back at it, fighting the wind again. I fought the wind for another week or so until I reached Glacier National Park and my destination in Whitefish not far after Glacier. Accept the wind or it will defeat you and you'll end up staying at home cursing the wind and yourself.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
otis24 said:
Accept the wind or it will defeat you and you'll end up staying at home cursing the wind and yourself.
That's a great story.

The last two day's in Stocktontucky have been really windy. It's great for sailing or windsurfing, but it sucks on the road bike. I too, accept the wind and use it as a training mechanism. I'm looking forward to riding w/out it and being a little more fit than I should be.

jps

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.