Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a guy ask me today what mountainbiking IS and why i obviously love it so much.

I tried to explain but after 5 minutes he was still shaking his head and looking confused.

Maybe it's something you either 'get' or you don't or maybe my cold has just left me eloquently inept ??

What would your response be out of interest ?

ziegi

·
Registered
409 Posts
Other than keeping you in shape, I like to use the time for myself and just enjoy myself. I tend to be a loner and don't like being in groups very often. However I do group rides once a week. Some people could compare it to drugs/drinking, a way to escape reality for a short bit and reduce tension and stress. I in no way am condoning drugs nor drinking as I do neither. Some people use it to challenge themselves as a sailor would do sailing around the world alone. Each person has their nitch and at this time in my life it happens to be mountainbiking.

·
Registered
625 Posts
It's one of those things that you can't explain to people who aren't already outdoors people. Lots of my coworkers know that I ride and when I was talking to one of them last week I mentioned that I was bummed that the trails were wet, they looked confused and asked me why I couldn't ride the local MUT while it was wet, I tried to explain mountain biking to them but they just didn't get it. There are lots of people who haven't even been hiking in their life, so the trails we ride and mileage we ride for is difficult to comprehend for most people.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
ziegi said:
I had a guy ask me today what mountainbiking IS and why i obviously love it so much.

I tried to explain but after 5 minutes he was still shaking his head and looking confused.

Maybe it's something you either 'get' or you don't or maybe my cold has just left me eloquently inept ??

What would your response be out of interest ?

ziegi
Mon ami, just tell him it's fun. If he's still staring and shaking his head just write him off. ;)

:p :D

·
Registered
82 Posts
It's the smooth shift as you're getting ready to go uphill.
The quick stop only from a good set of disc brakes.
To ride over a rock garden or knarly roots and the suspension soaks it up.
The grab of a new set of knobbies.
The awesome steep downhill.
The steep uphill you couldn't do earlier in the year.
Exploring new trails.
Getting together with friends.
Being able to tell the story of the ride yesterday.
No stop lights, speedlimits, road rage or conjestion.
Nature.
The burn at the top of a climb.
More than a hundred calories burned.

·
Young, Shawn Young
3,166 Posts
I hated my first ride
rock gardens galore
how could that be any fun
my butt was hurting
and then.....
it was the only thing I cared about
all my other hobbies took a backseat
I thank God that my friend introduced me to this great sport
and I thank God after every ride
that I have the ability
to keep coming back for more

·
Registered
703 Posts
"if you have to ask, you'll never know"

I actaully wrote two of my college essays on this matter and it is still hard to explain.

In one issue of Bike Mag. I read one perspective on it which went something like, "...While combining mind, body, and machine in one harmonious form, the endorphin release causes a mind clearing diziness..."

I thought that was incredibly truthful and very well put. When I try to explain it to people, I try not to make it sound cheezy or corny but it always comes out kind of like that. Its certainly one of those things that you cannot put your finger on. If I dont get a good ride in for more than a day or two, I start to go through withdrawl and I get angry and jumpy. Haha I know this happens to other people too. I cant imagine what I would have been doing for the past five years if mountain biking were not a part of life. As long as I can jump on my bike and shred some awsome trails, Ill be the happiest man alive.

·
2006 Yeti AS-X
3,128 Posts
I fully agree, if you never done it; you won't fully understand the appeal.

For me, I can say once I took it up last year; the only regret I have is why I sat on my arse for 20 years not doing it.

·
It's a Turner!
531 Posts
Was he outside? And he asked? At least give him credit for that.

With me it's like I need to justify mtn biking. I mean I put up with a lot of sh!t just to be able to ride my bike. Some people think it's juvenile, crazy and dangerous, that I should be focusing on my career, worrying about retirement, blah, blah. Some people just don't get it. I've met too many people who go through life missing out on some wonderful experiences under some pretense or excuse that's not going to matter squat in the end. Despite having careers, cars, houses, and more money than 99.99% of people in the rest of the world, some of these folks still have little going on behind the eyes. When that happens, you know what, you're already dead.

·
Registered
82 Posts
nicely put sirbikesalot. Some people just can't understand why I want to ride a bike in the woods on the dirt. I need more than just a job, even though I really enjoy my work. MTB is a way to relieve stress, get away, clear the head...........

·
~I Ride In Circles ~
1,629 Posts
Obsession !!!

Basically I tell people that it's something I can NEVER be perfect at. I have fun with it and enjoy pushing myself to do more and become better. NO ONE I talk to about riding understands... I'm used to it. I usually relent and just show them pictures of all the stuff I have which is Mountain bike oriented. They shake their heads in disbelief and say wow.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.