Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see lots of folks in videos riding trails and bouncing over rocks logs, roots and bumps. I would really like to be able to develop this kind of riding style because it seems more fun and I want to become a faster rider.
Any tips on how to practice? Whenever I try to bounce, I stand on the pedals in the attack position and push into the pedals and barely take off the ground. It is also very tiring and I can't keep going for long...
Would appreciate any tips on how to improve.
P.S. does the bike's suspension need to be setup in a particular way?

Sorry for so many questions and thanks for any replies.

·
I'm with stupid
5,920 Posts
I find a lot of that bounce style of riding is just for videos to look cool. Kinda like the whip the back tire over in a corner to shoot dirt up. If you want to watch things to see how to go fast watch red bull or free caster's coverage of the world cup DH races. No frills and super bouncey stuff there. Just fast. Mimic those gyys/gals and you will be faster then bounce o matic 5000.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I have no idea what you mean by bouncy riding style. Never heard that term before. Generally smoothness is better than bouncing. If you're talking about people being able to effortlessly float up and over rocks, roots, etc, then you need to get used to a thing called pre-loading your suspension. Riders all too often tend to just sit on their bike and pedal, expecting the suspension to do everything for them. They remain completely static on their bike, not moving around at all. First, get riding with your elbows out, not down at your sides. Loosen up a bit, and don't be sitting up straight on your bike. Stand up, and have legs bent to keep yourself in an aggressive stance, able to move around on the bike easily. Now let's say that an obstacle is approaching. Before you get to the obstacle, you smoothly push down into your suspension, storing up energy. The key here is smoothly. Don't hammer down quickly into your suspension. The deeper you push into your suspension, the more potential energy you store up. When the suspension starts to rebound, you pick up on the handlebars and pedals, effectively using the stored energy of the suspension as an extra it of boost. Think of it as a smooth, suspension-assisted bunnyhop. Timing is critical. Too early and you wont float over the obstacle. Too late and you won't float over the obstacle. It takes a lot of practice and good suspension tuning to look smooth. It can also be extremely tiring, even if you are doing it right, so be ready to get into better shape if you want to ride like that all the time. Remember that pros in the videos are able to stop, rest, high-five a bro, hike back up, and get another shot of each tiny segment whenever they want. They don't often ride every inch of trails like you see in the videos.

Now, if you're talking about the riders that have the super exaggerated aggressive technique, exploding berms, drifting tires, manualing, whipping it, and generally being super rad off of every single bump and lump on a trail, well... that's mainly for looks, not functionality. It can look cool, but doesn't mean you're riding well at all. And on that note, if you try and blow out every berm on a trail, you probably deserve to get a beat down. Yes it's fun, but it trashes trails.

If you want to see what good, functional, and fast riding looks like, have a look at these two videos. They aren't trying simply to look good, they're riding correctly, and that looks good as a consequence. Brian Lopes is one of the fastest and technically refined riders in the world. And Kyle Strait isn't simply bouncing all over. He is staying light on his bike, going fast, standing up, and using his body to aid his suspension, not just rolling over everything and letting the bike do all the work. He uses his legs and body to pump and soak up the rollers, and compresses the suspension to pop off of obstacles. Notice that exactly zero berms are exploded.

Rapid Fire: Brian Lopes - Mountain Biking Videos - Vital MTB

RAPID FIRE: Kyle Strait - Mountain Biking Videos - Vital MTB

Reactions: Katz

·
The White Jeff W
5,692 Posts
Chances are they film about 50 yards of trail, move on to another spot, set up cameras & shots & do another 50 yards of trail, then stitch it all together to make it look like they rode like that for miles. Looks great in the video but most people cant sustain an all out balls to the wall riding style for long.

I dont know if there are any pump tracks in Israel but if there are Id suggest getting some time in on that.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I think you are talking about pumping your bike...or more technically put, weighting & unweighting your bike.

This is the foundation to good riding technique and is the key to gaining & maintaining speed based on the different features the trail presents.

You unweight your bike over a set of roots, to do so you can preload your suspension just before getting light on your pedals and floating over the roots...that is your "bounce" up.

Conversely, you see a dip in the trail coming up, just before this dip, you preload and unweight your suspension similar to above, but then push hard down into your pedals to weight the bike down in through the dip, this causes the bike to accelerate.

Once you put these basics into practice and link together these different aspects of the trail...you get flow, which very often looks like riders just "bouncing" in and out of the trail.

Take a look at the book, Mastering Mountain Bike Skills by Lee McCormack and Brian Lopes.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I know what you mean by bouncy, I see a guy every weekend that rides like that. In my opinion it looks ridiculous and exhausting and to ride like that he is going rather slow. I'm sure hikers with little to no bike knowledge find it most impressive.
The floating over stuff was well described above but typically can only be done functionally when really hauling the mail. Once you start traveling over rough terrain at speed the bike is going to naturally float some as the terrain undulates, and the speed will help clear rougher sections.
I would say with speed comes "floaty"... but bouncy, I'm not sure how you get to that, I suppose you run more rebound than is effective at speed, and clipped in likely helps.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
if you can, ride bmx(you're never too old!). definitely unclip though! getting skills down like hops, jhops, manuals, bump jumps, etc are better learned on flats. always. the skills will translate to clips easily but proper technique happens with flats. if you can't do them on flats you can't do them & you're doin it wrong.

all the techniques isn't for show it's all skill to be able to make a line more fun by obviously being able to control whatever whenever you want. sure wc dhers aren't gonna risk a move when they are pinned thru a tech section but it is having that skillset that helps them when they get outta shape in sections as well.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Take a look at the West Coast style videos too. A friend of mine loaned me them on DVDs a while back, and I see now that they have something in podcast format as well on iTunes.

EDIT - so I tried to download their podcasts a few different ways (on my phone and on iTunes) and got errors.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Use Enduro goggles

No gloves

Exaggerate your lean into every corner so you look you're voiding your bowels

Make sure the picture is taken of you just after you brown pow a corner but not when you laid into the brakes so you can say that you were drifting brah

Stupid dick face expression helps too

Wheelie out of every corner so you look so fast

There you go! Glad to help!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Use Enduro goggles

No gloves

Make sure the picture is taken of you just after you brown pow a corner but not when you laid into the brakes so you can say that you were drifting brah

I shot water through my nose reading this. Honestly. Post of the decade.

·
Spark Master
11 Posts
I will try to answer your question, unlike the other fellas who sound like their spandex is hiked a little far up their...umm, pretentious MTB snob backsides. I believe what you are referring to is "pumping" which is basically using a root or bump and essentially gravity to increase speed which looks cool..it does to me anyway. That, and having some creativity on the trail usually translate to an aesthetically pleasing style of riding..which, obviously some people are less concerned with. To each his own. Google "pumping on the trail".

·
Registered
72 Posts
Use Enduro goggles

No gloves

This, because it isn't enduro unless you're riding to look cool.

·
Pick a wheel size...
485 Posts
Use Enduro goggles

No gloves

Lee's enduro'ing.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I will try to answer your question, unlike the other fellas who sound like their spandex is hiked a little far up their...umm, pretentious MTB snob backsides.
I don't wear spandex. I couldn't enduro, slay, nor brown-pow corners in spandex. It's science.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Enduro enduro enduro, blah blah blah...Jesus we get it already. It's a race discipline, the industry are doing what the industry does best and milking it for everything it's worth but it ain't going anywhere so get over it already.

The funny thing about you guys who never pass on a chance to take the piss out of the "cool kids" on the "Enduro band wagon" is u completely miss the irony of yourselves trying to be the "even cooler kids" on the "anti-Enduro band wagon". It's like listening to a group of ten Goths on a street corner all dressed in black, all with black eyeliner and long leather coats trying to take the piss out of the footballers and cheerleaders for "conforming".

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I believe Ironbar81 is taking us a bit to seriously ;) The OP already got a lot of good advice. And as usual, once the answers have been given, the thread degrades from that point until it reaches its inevitable end: friendly jabs at enduro bros. Can't blame nature for taking its course.

·
Registered
107 Posts
It's all good, it's all good....just seems every thread round here tends to end up with someone mentioning the "E" word while everyone else s******s at the back of the class :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts