Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend wants me to install a new chain on his 2007 Epic Expert Medium. I have done this for many single speeds and hardtails. I here that you need to account for swing arm movement on full suspensions thus you need to take all of the air out of the brain shock. I dont really want to go there. Can I simply use the big-big method used on hardtails and and 1 link? Or can someone with a similar bike tell me how many links there bike has.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Most suspension designs are such that there isn't much difference in the effective chain length throughout the travel range. So unless you're bike is of an unusual design, you're safe using the shortest chain formula plus an added inch (1 complete link). Sometimes you don't even need that.

If you want more margin of safety, consider using the longest chain formula, which is using the smallest combination and shortening the chain until the RD is taking up slack. (Note, be sure to check that also meets the shortest chain standards).

The advantage of using a longer chain is marginally longer chain life (roughly 2% per added inch), and the ability to cut and splice in an emergency without needing to replace links.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.