Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently it's possible to clock the position for all thru axles, but I cannot find out how with mine. It doesn't pull, there's no hex & I don't see any adjustment collar.

Shimano 142x12

Any idea how I can have my rear axle positioned as I like?

Left is how it ends up every time. Right is where I would like it, but its not tight.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,905 Posts
Good find. Many people don't do this. Be aware that different thru axles use different threads and different ways to clock the lever. The Shimano system is pretty darn smart in that regard, but obviously not intuitive to everyone.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,619 Posts
SRAM likes to bury a tiny hex deep down the axle so you need a looooooooong hex wrench to reach it (usually the ball end). I hate these. In fact, on the first RS fork I had, I had no idea that clocking the lever was a "thing" so as the lever wore (changing the clocking), I had no clue I could change it. I just replaced the stupid lever with a DT Swiss RWS.

For the rear, I like the tooled thru axles. I have no need for a lever back there for "faster wheel removal" or any other reason. I carry a multitool so it's fine. I replaced the RS Maxle on my Salsa with a tooled rear axle when I could finally find one with the right specs. My Pedalhead came with one (Syntace x-12). My wife's Juliana Furtado also came with a tooled rear axle.

I like a lever up front. On my MRP fork, the axle gets clocked through a nut similar to the shimano system posted above, but there is no grub screw to hold it. Just friction from a rubber o-ring.

On my Wren fork, the nut on the opposite side is NOT captured, so nothing really sets the clocking of the lever like most do. I have to fiddle with the position every time I secure the axle. Right now, I'm using a tooled axle, which I don't really like (but doesn't require clocking). But I dislike it less than I dislike the qr style lever that comes with it (which became WAY too hard to secure, even with lube, for insufficient clamping). I have a DT Swiss RWS thru axle that would fit with some mods. I really should figure out how to make those mods because it would address a lot of complaints I have about Wren's thru axle system.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.