Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I'm accustomed to taking a power bar with me on a hike or long ride, etc... All of these shots, gu things and gels are new to me. I see that the CLIFF Shot Bloks are like square gummy bears, but all natural. Most of the others have caffeine, thus the need for the water with them, yes?

So, just some basic advice about who is using what and when would be great, PRE, DURING, POST ride (?) etc...

BTW- I hate trying these things, always wondering if they'll make me gag!

·
Pin it!
78 Posts
I've heard that's it's best to use Cliff shots just before a ride, during a ride and maybe a cliff bar after. Cliff shots are suppose to have the same "good stuff" for performance as the bars, but they will effect your body faster since the shot is not a solid food source. As for taste; the Cliff shots are not that terrible along with a chasing of an energy drink or water. The raspberry flavor I personally think is the best and I’ve stayed away from the vanilla.
I do know that the shots work and work well. I remember bonking hard during a 24hr race and had nothing but water to keep me going during a good climb. I was lucky that a great competitor stopped and gave me one of his shots. It didn’t take more then a few minutes for the bonking affect to taper off and it got me back to the starting tent.

·
tallmtnbiker
32 Posts
Refueling is critical for any race one hour or more, in my opinion. Here's what has worked for me for XC races from 90 minutes to 2.5 hours (I weigh 180, so adjust up or down for your weight).
A. Eat a high-carb breakfast about 2.5-3 hours before. For me, that's a couple of packages of oatmeal, a bagel with a little peanut butter, and a bottle of water. About an hour before the race, I'll have an energy bar and a half-bottle of water, sipped slowly. About 20 minutes before the gun, a gel or a package of blocks and the other half of the water bottle.

B. During the race, I use a gel flask with 2-4 gels squirted inside mixed with water. I either use a flask mount velcroed to my top tube or stick the flask in my jersey pocket. This way, I don't have to try to tear open a gel, stick the sticky wrapper back in my pocket (you never want to throw wrapper on the trail), etc. Also, the extra water makes it easier to squeeze out and swallow.

C. If I know the race has a water bottle exchange, I'll bring an old bottle with water and carry 30-40 ounces of electrolyte fluid in a small camelback. I like to chase the gel down with plain water. But, I know I need a good electrolyte to keep electrolyte levels healthy. Leg cramps are no fun. I know what fluid works best for me through my training. Since I can't always count on the race to provide the eloctrolyte fluid that works best for me, I take enough for the entire race and sip it often--several gulps every 10 or 15 minutes (I only have one bottle cage).

D. After the race, I grab a pre-mixed bottle of recovery-specific drink ASAP and sip it while cooling down, loading up, and changing clothes.

If this sounds like a lot of eating, I suppose it is. But I know I need at least 75 grams of carbs for every hour of hard effort. I have bonked too many times when I didn't eat and drink enough.

Good luck
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks MUCH

Yeah, I've hit "THE WALL" more than once, but that usually happens after hours of vigorous energy output. As long as I pace myself, I think I'll be fine... but having a little extra confidence and strategized fuel intake also sounds like a FINE IDEA!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.