Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some guidance. How do ya'll choose a saddle if you don't anything about saddles.....

I bought a Sella Trans Am saddle based on the reviews....and I could never get comfortable on it. So I've got my eyes on a WTB rocket but currentlly just busy reading all the saddle reviews on MTBR. I know saddles are subjective but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Really, the best way is to ride on them for an hour or two.

Most plastic-based seats will not conform to your sit bones properly, and every time that you ride them is like having to break in a new one.

I use and recommend the Brooks leather saddle. Once it conforms to the shape of your sit bones, it stays like that and will last you for years.

There is a little maintenance required with waterproofing using Proofide, but is easy to do.

Read the reviews of the owners of these Brooks saddles and see for yourself.

If you decide to buy, get it from Wallbikes, they have a six MONTH return policy.

R.

·
Riding free's the mind
1,014 Posts
Have to try them

Very difficult to find the right saddle based on reviews. I've owned some of the best reviewed saddles and come away completely uncomfortable. For me, more minimal saddles with medium padding like the Selle San Marco Aspide Gelaround. It's got extra gel padding over the standard Aspide seat, but it happens to fit my sit bones well without being over stuffed- just enough seat where I need it and comfortable if I have to sit up on the nose for steep climbs.

I've also owned WTB and Terry seats. The WTB Rocket LaserV was too square at the seams, which after long climbs was irratating to my inner thighs. The Terry was a cushy seat and ok for shorter rides, but after long climbs would also irratate- again too much seat where I didn't need it. I've yet to try Selle Italia saddles, I have a friend that swears by the SLK.

Good luck,

·
"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
1,317 Posts
no really good way

it's kind of a big guess. I had been riding the same saddle for years (some low end Bontrager) and alhtough it was freaking heavy, I loved how it felt. I can't find them anymore to buy so I started looking. I measured some of the critical dimensions and found tha the WTB Stealth (can't recall which model) matched pretty closely. I bought one and after a few rides found that it fit really well.

it's a crapshoot though.

YR

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
Specialized now has a butt-bones measuring device. You sit on it, an impression is made from the impression of your sit bones into the memory foam, and then the distance between the sit bones is measured, a saddle recommendation is made from that number. And no, it does not measure how big your butt is, just the distance between the bones.

formica

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.