Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been successful hauling a kid trailer with a Stumpjumper FSR?

I have a Schwinn / InStep trailer which I believe all use this coupler that you're supposed to skewer onto your rear axle (skewer goes through the smaller of the two holes):

Problem is, since the Stumpjumper's rear dropout is not flat (it's recessed a bit), the coupler will not skewer tight and flush against the bike frame. There is simply too much material on the coupler for it to fit on the recessed Stumpy axle.

Has anyone found a good workaround? Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I will have the same problem with a bolt-on.

But stacking washers would work - this idea had occurred to me but I just didn't know if it would be safe to stack like 1/4" worth of washers onto the skewer between the QR and dropout. Does the extended length to the skewer make it more prone to breaking? Since the idea is to be able to leave the coupler on all the time, I didn't want my rear axle to fail on me on the trail.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Oops, I meant to say:

How about using a bolt-on rear hub with extended bolt threads (like for a Tandem) instead of a QR one?

I have no idea about the strenght of the QR with washers. If you go that route, you might want to test the kiddy carrier with 100 lbs of sandbags on the trail, before you put a live test subject in there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.