Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a cane creek headset on the tallboy C. When I assemble the top, what is the order of parts?I tried two combos.

Combo 1
Seal first. Split ring on top (goes directly through the seal, looks like it is designed this way)

Comes out like this:

From Project 24 Review: Cane Creek 40-Series headset

Combo 2
Split ring first. Then seal on top. The hole in the seal is much larger than necessary.

Looks like 1 is the right way. But when I adjust the play, it is either too hard to turn the bars or the fork moves inside the bearings.

I am also not sure about the direction of the seal, it is currently like the photo.

Is it just a case that the seal needs a break-in period to get squished to the final size and then it fits?

Any help appreciated.

·
otb club member
3,087 Posts
I think the pic looks right because the beveled part of the split ring is fully exposed so it can mate with the angular contact bearing. I think when you go with a sealed headset like this, there is going to be more friction as the sealing material contacts both surfaces. Air you putting a good layer of grease on both sides of the seal? The drawing from the CC instructions are not super detailed, but also look like the configuration you pictured in your post.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. In their diagram what they call the "top cover assembly" is the two parts I am talking about combined. Not sure how to combine them.

I didn't put grease on the seal because I don't like the dirt that it attracts and cause wear. Grease will definitely help here but I rather avoid it.

I did grease the bearing, which should be internal and covered by the seals, so dirt should not get in there, at least not easily.

·
otb club member
3,087 Posts
You need to grease the seal on both sides or the friction will be too great. Once it is assembled and tightened, then you can wipe off all the grease that is squeezed out and visible on the outside. If the seal is tightly sandwiched, dirt will not get through. Also, better to have it turn smoothly than wear the seal and open up a bigger passageway for dirt.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.