Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 90s chromoly frame with some rust. I'd like to try white vinegar on it. Can't dip the whole frame, so how do I go about? Using baking powder and water seems to be popular too (but not as potent?). With that you could make a paste. I see white vinegar and salt mentioned together. Perhaps that would be pasteable? Ideas?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have 90s chromoly frame with some rust. I'd like to try white vinegar on it. Can't dip the whole frame, so how do I go about? Using baking powder and water seems to be popular too (but not as potent?). With that you could make a paste. I see white vinegar and salt mentioned together. Perhaps that would be pasteable? Ideas?
i believe that there are rust removing products that come in a jel form that you can find.
if you don't find it you could just make a very very thick solution of citric acid powder and little amount of water , making it into a paste and apply it on for a small period of time.
or you can soak a towel into vinegar , apply it to the frame , than have another dry towel on top just to keep the inner towel wet from the vinegar.
Last but not least , just sand it down and repaint it. i know it is a lot of work but if all else fails you can try that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.