Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, kind of a beginner question, but i got my bike back from the bike shop after replacing the pads, and i notice the front brake it rubbing. how can i adjust the brakes so they are not rubbing? do i have to bleed the brakes and all that? or can i just do a simple screw adjustment?
thanks.

·
Registered
612 Posts
It sounds like your brake calipers need to be aligned. This procedure MAY vary between different manufacturers, I can't say for sure. I align my Juicy 5s by loosening the screws that attach the caliper to the fork or frame, squeezing the lever a few times, and then holding the lever in and tightening the screws at the same time. It sometimes takes a few tries to get right, but it works for me.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Depends on the rubbing, there tends to be some drag with new pads so just go and hit a few long descents. If it is actually pressing on the rotor and the wheel does not spin well then ya might need to adjust them or take the bike back to the shop, have them adjust as they should have and watch how they do it.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
6 steps to fix your problem:
1. Take your wheel off.
2. Use plastic pad spacer that came with the bike/brakes and wedge it in the caliper to push pads all the way back.
3. Put wheel back on the bike. DO NOT TOUCH BRAKE LEVER.
4. Loosen the caliper from the adapter/post mounts.
5. Spin the wheel to make sure it is moving freely, squeeze the brake lever and hold tight.
6. Tighten caliper.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
boogenman said:
6 steps to fix your problem:
1. Take your wheel off.
2. Use plastic pad spacer that came with the bike/brakes and wedge it in the caliper to push pads all the way back.
3. Put wheel back on the bike. DO NOT TOUCH BRAKE LEVER.
4. Loosen the caliper from the adapter/post mounts.
5. Spin the wheel to make sure it is moving freely, squeeze the brake lever and hold tight.
6. Tighten caliper.
re-align them up after you hit brakes too

·
should know better.....
749 Posts
You can use a flat head screw driver blade, the wider, the better.
Just be gentle as you 'pry" the pads apart/compress the pistons, you should not see any flaking or chipping of the pads from whatever tool you use.

Then do as the others have said, insert the wheel, loosen the caliper mounting bolts and wiggle it with your hand so it is truly free to move, then squeeze the brake lever firmly, keep it squeezed as you tighten the mounting bolts. release it after wards, give the wheel a spin if it rubs, try again. It should work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.