Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
on my 3rd wind...
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how to add Fox Float suspension fluid (not the oil that goes in right side of the fork where the damping cartridge reside) on TALAS fork w/o damaging the TALAS system? I just bought a 2005 TALAS fork and Fox manual cleary says that fork should be sent to them every 18 months for normal rebuild. Also they made it vey clear that the travel adjustment knob should be taken apart since it can damage the TALAS functon.

Here's the delima:
If we can't touch the TALAS adj top cap to the add Fox suspension fluid on the left side of the fork to keep that side from going dry, and TALAS should be only sent to them for every 18 months for normal service, what do I do? I also own a FOX Float RLC and adding suspension fluid is a breeze. All you need is a hex socket to remove the large top cap on the left side and add table spoon amount every 3 to 6 months or so to keep it lubricated per Fox and LBS. So on TALAS fork you don't have to add Float fluid every 3 to 6 months? It appears that you'll need special tool to remove the TALAS adj knob anyway. Even if you had the special tool or rig something out to remove it, doing so will damage the TALAS adj per FOX. I would have to spend the blings on shipping every 3 to 6 months so that FOX can add tiny table spoon amunt of FLOAT suspension fluid.

STH

·
otb club member
3,086 Posts
Yes, it is a dilema.

SingleTrackHound said:
Anyone know how to add Fox Float suspension fluid (not the oil that goes in right side of the fork where the damping cartridge reside) on TALAS fork w/o damaging the TALAS system? I just bought a 2005 TALAS fork and Fox manual cleary says that fork should be sent to them every 18 months for normal rebuild. Also they made it vey clear that the travel adjustment knob should be taken apart since it can damage the TALAS functon.

Here's the dilema:
If we can't touch the TALAS adj top cap to the add Fox suspension fluid on the left side of the fork to keep that side from going dry, and TALAS should be only sent to them for every 18 months for normal service, what do I do? I also own a FOX Float RLC and adding suspension fluid is a breeze. All you need is a hex socket to remove the large top cap on the left side and add table spoon amount every 3 to 6 months or so to keep it lubricated per Fox and LBS. So on TALAS fork you don't have to add Float fluid every 3 to 6 months? It appears that you'll need special tool to remove the TALAS adj knob anyway. Even if you had the special tool or rig something out to remove it, doing so will damage the TALAS adj per FOX. I would have to spend the blings on shipping every 3 to 6 months so that FOX can add tiny table spoon amunt of FLOAT suspension fluid.

STH
STH,
Other than changing damper fluid and the "semi-bath" (same fluid) in the LOWER leg of the TALAS side, don't mess with it. The TALAS cartridge is mulit-chambered, with different pressures and fluids in it. It's really not a complete DIY fork. On top of that, it may not last the full 18 months they recommend as service intervals. DGC, who services the TALAS cartridges has found that many only go 12 months before needing service. If you have a qualified dealer in your area, you can get it serviced locally and save some of the hassle. Problem is, it's not that easy to find someone with the know-how and tools to do it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.