Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure what else to call thess but axle nuts, pictured below. I just took off my rear wheel and noticed that this was not even finger tight, which I didn't think was right. I went to tighten it and when I got it any tighter, the cassette wouldn't spin freely, as if these nuts being tight was pinching it.

In case the picture does not show, the cassette side at least is what holds the freehub in place. Once it's fully loosened, the freehub comes off (sorry if that's obvious, wheel newb here).

If it matters, these are on a 142x12mm Roval Traverse wheelset.

IMG_0977.JPG IMG_0979.JPG

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hmm snugging up those threaded end pieces shouldn't hold up your freehub as you describe. If you really cranked them down, they would start to bind from side loading but that doesn't seem to be what you're saying. You could take it all apart and see if your bearings are shot or dirty (causing them to bind) or maybe you are missing or have worn something in the freehub causing undesired friction. Your internals may be similar to DT 350, so that manual may be relevant.

At base level, what you're saying doesn't sound right so if you're looking for some motivation to tear them apart, that could be interesting...

At minimum you want those nuts at least partially tight so your cassette and disc always sit at the same position when you put your back wheel on. Also so the loading is right between the nut and your axle. I tighten mine as if I were adjusting a cup and cone bearing but the mechanics with respect to loading can vary based on how the hub is designed.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are they called hub axle nuts? If I know what it's called I can find the torque spec and fix it myself. I'm just kind of surprised that they were only finger tight when I got it.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Are they called hub axle nuts? If I know what it's called I can find the torque spec and fix it myself. I'm just kind of surprised that they were only finger tight when I got it.
There is no torque spec. It needs to be adjusted and tightened properly for the hub to function, or you will destroy the bearings and maybe the hub.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
If they are too lose you hub slides side to side right? There should be a jam nut and you need to play with it so it spins freely but minimal to no side play.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If they are too lose you hub slides side to side right? There should be a jam nut and you need to play with it so it spins freely but minimal to no side play.
Yeah maybe 1mm of side to side.

But if it's loose enough for the hub to spin, the nuts loosen as I tighten the thru axle

·
Registered
369 Posts
If this axle has jam nuts on both sides, you may need to remove the cassette to access the drive side for adjustment.

This hub is begging to be taken apart and put back together with clean parts and new grease where needed to gain a solid understanding of what went wrong and to make sure it is OK for riding. Sourcing some outside non-virtual counsel (LBS) could definitely be useful for this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts