Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I lost 30 pounds my current baggy shorts don't fit so well. The waist area is drawstring to that is fine, just the pad moves all over.

I ordered a pair of baggys from Performance in size medium I'm a 34 to 35 waist with 32 inseam so according to their chart I'm a medium. So I get the mediums and boy are the liners snug. The waist area is loose, but the liner feels snug around my leg are and the pad is very snug right where it should be. Doesn't feel like the pad will move at all.

Is this what it's suppose to feel like? or should it be just a tad looser cause its really snug. Again, the baggy part is fine.

Thanks.

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
I wear the spandex so I don't know about baggies. But I like the spandex tight on my leg muscles. The pressure reduces fatigue. Thats what I've heard. A very good pair will be tight on the thigh muscles but looser at the waist and knees for breathing room. Those make me feel comfortable like a second skin. Whats good for you is what makes you comfortable while riding. You should not be thinking about your shorts while riding. They should be so comforatble that you forget they are there

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the liners in baggy's are the same as spandex just for some reason spandex always has better pads. The leg grippers are tight and it just overrall feels tight. But the pad is sure in the right spot. That's why I was wondering if this is what is should be like.

Maybe it's just a sizing issue for me. Different brands fit different ways.

I think I may cut out the old liner in my baggies, get a pair of spandex and wear them underneath. Get a much better pad.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
From the sounds of it....

your new baggies fit correctly. As you said the outter short is nice a loose but the linner fits tight. The big thing is that the linner isn't too tight. It should be tight enough to provide some muscle compression and so that the pad doesn't slide around, but not so tight that it binds or causes discomfort. Best way to figure this one is to ride in em! If you can ride all day and they don't become uncomfortable then you're good to go.

I hear what you're saying about the pad in most baggies not being as good as the pad in many lycra shorts. I've found that Fox baggies usually have about the best pads for a baggie short. I've got a pair of mid rangers and a pair of base shorts from Fox that l like quite well. Both have a quality pad that is just heavy enough to provide good comfort and protection, and they run pretty true to size. Mids retail for $65 and the Base for $45. But you can find them for less if you shop around. Another nice thing about the Fox shorts is they seem to know where to put pockets as well. I know that sounds like a trivial thing, but if you use them to commute in it's nice to be able to put you keys, walet, change etc. in pockets that are velcroed closed and don't interfere while your riding. I can carry my walet, keys, and change in the pockes of my Base shorts and don't even know they are there when I'm on the bike.

Anyway, don't know if you wearing Fox shorts or not. If so then I don't know what else to recommend other than going to Wally World, buying some cheap athletic shorts and then getting some good lycra shorts from some where and using them in combination. It's allot cheaper than dropping the coin on cycling specific baggies and then cutting the linner out of them and doing the same thing.

Just my 2 cents.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
m1ke said:
Why not go to your LBS and try some on? Some will be too tight, some will be too loose, but when you find a pair that fits you'll know it.
Just got done doing that. Amazing how different all these brands fit. Of course Sugoi Flex fit the best and cost the most ($120). The bad is beautiful. Pearl's were really good too so I may go with those.

My shorts are past tight into discomfort, especially after trying on other pairs.

I haven't tried Fox, but I cut out my liner in my old Sugoi so I will wear spandex in its place. For races, I will just wear the spandex, which kinda creeps me out. Like going to the beach in a speedo.

Thanks for the pointers on this.

·
Registered
100 Posts
you said earlier that you may cut the cheaper liner out of the shorts and wear lycra underneath. That is what I do, I have 2 pair of Pearl baggy shells, then I wear my Pearl/Trico bibs underneath. works out nice plus you can change clothes if you are muddy just by slipping off the baggies and putting another pair of shorts on w/out gettin' necked!!! haha

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.