Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Evlkneevljr
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...I built my first set of rims. 819's, Competition Spokes 2.0/1.8, and hadley hubs. It took me awhile, but, I got them true and evenly tensioned within about 5% for each side (which I didn't think would even be possible).

I mount some regular UST tires on these and happened to check the tension again with the TM-1. I heard that you lose some tension with a tire mounted....well...I started around 120Kg (rear drive side) and as soon as I mounted the tire that same side now reads about 90Kg. I'm temped to tension them up to about 155Kg then, once the tire is mounted, it will be back to a mid-high tension in the recommended range.

Should I be tensioning the rims higher to compensate for the tire? Or, is the recommended tension without a tire and I should just expect it to drop that much? It just seems like the spokes are not as tight as I would think they should be to make a solid rim. Can anyone throw this newbie wheelbuilder some good advise?

I want to build a solid wheel, but, I don't want to overdue it. It would make sense to me I could go over the range since you always have a tire on your rim??

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
NO do not retension the wheels....

Wheel tension specs are set up by the manufacturer without tires mounted. It's normal to loose tension when the tire is mounted and aired up. This is taken into consideration when the specs are set. Running your tension up with the tire mounted will put you considerably over tension spec when the tire is dismounted. So set your tension within spec when you build up the wheel and then leave it alone.

Good Dirt

·
Evlkneevljr
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Since I'm new at this, I got freaked out when my spokes were out of tension specs when I put a tire on it. I took the tire off to make sure I wasn't off my rocker when I checked the tension BEFORE I put the tire on. I backed the tension down, so hopefully their good now. An inflated tire changes the tension that much? Drive side Rear went from 120Kg to 90kg once I mounted the tire

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
daverach2478 said:
So...I built my first set of rims. 819's, Competition Spokes 2.0/1.8, and hadley hubs. It took me awhile, but, I got them true and evenly tensioned within about 5% for each side (which I didn't think would even be possible).

I mount some regular UST tires on these and happened to check the tension again with the TM-1. I heard that you lose some tension with a tire mounted....well...I started around 120Kg (rear drive side) and as soon as I mounted the tire that same side now reads about 90Kg. I'm temped to tension them up to about 155Kg then, once the tire is mounted, it will be back to a mid-high tension in the recommended range.

Should I be tensioning the rims higher to compensate for the tire? Or, is the recommended tension without a tire and I should just expect it to drop that much? It just seems like the spokes are not as tight as I would think they should be to make a solid rim. Can anyone throw this newbie wheelbuilder some good advise?

I want to build a solid wheel, but, I don't want to overdue it. It would make sense to me I could go over the range since you always have a tire on your rim??
Ditto Squash.

Also, use the correct terms. You built a wheel of which the rim is only one part. It will help avoid confusion in the future.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.