Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
So it goes.....
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Converted my old Fisher Paragon hardtail (1998) since it doesn't get much action these days with a beautiful 5' trail bike sharing the garage..... and I didn't even have to use a tensioner. I am running 32:18 to start out and spun the chain onto the rings when I was finished putting the chain back together. It spun right up onto the 32 chain ring and I didn't even bother using the Rennen Rollenlager I purchased. Chainline is dead perfect. I guess I am wondering if the chain is too tight.

Since this is my first attempt at a SS conversion I just used the middle ring that was on the bike and the 18t cog from the cassette that was also on the bike. Also used the chain. I noticed that the chain is quite tight but it does seem to spin ok. I still feel what seems like a bit of resistance. Rides ok up and down the hills in the neighborhood on my test ride. Chain definitely isn't gonna pop off !

I am wondering if the tooth pattern on the cogs/chainring is causing the binding I am feeling when pedaling the bike on the workstand. It doesn't seem to be a problem when riding but it isn't the smoothest feeling drivetrain in the world. I figure that tight is better than loose but is it possible to be too tight?

Any comments/suggestions/words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

OD

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
It's not possble to be too tight and not feel it.
If it feels too hard to spin the cranks, it's too tight. As far as I know there's no magical rules of thumb, but if it rides fine (and backpedals fine) it's probably good.

Hope this helps some

fm

·
So it goes.....
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the comments.

purchased a new low end shimano chain and redid the conversion. The only problem is that I can't use a 32:18 ratio since either the chain is too tight or I cannot dial in the needed tension with the Rollenlager I have set up on the bike. Using the Rennen Rollenlager allowed me to run a 32:20 but I would like to run a 32:18. If I remove the links I need for the tension I am back to square one with a chain that is too tight. Seems like I need something that just reduces the chain a bit but not a full link. Will a half link help with this? Do I just use it like a regular link?

Even with the 32:20 I had a blast riding out to the nearby park and doing some laps on the easy single track stuff. Seems I really need a 32:18 though since it was so easy to spin it out on the flats and downhills.

Thanks.

·
So it goes.....
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
salimoneus said:
too tight? thats like having too much money, it's just not possible!

oh wait you're talking about chain tension....right...
um ok.....

Don't forget to take your medication it WILL help.:thumbsup:

OD

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.