Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I backed it down a touch, feels better now. I think it was too tight. I can put a little pressure on the top of the chain and it goes down about 1/2". If I really pushed hard I might be able to make the chain touch the chain stay.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Mike A. said:
find the loose spot and aim for 1/4"
Is that +/- 1/4" (1/2" full range) or 1/4" total, up and down?

I ask because I had a chain too tight last season and snapped it in 2, and other times I feel some "popping". It is pretty tough to get things "perfect".

·
Registered
218 Posts
If it is a new chain I set it tight. The chain will stretch and the be ideal. If it is a chain I've used for a while u should get the tool and check it every now and them so that it doesn't brake on you again and you cam swap it in time.

·
Registered
7,942 Posts
Firemedix911 said:
If it is a new chain I set it tight. The chain will stretch and the be ideal. If it is a chain I've used for a while u should get the tool and check it every now and them so that it doesn't brake on you again and you cam swap it in time.
Why would you want to make the chain wear quicker? :confused:

Set the correct tension from the very beginning. I try and set 1/2" of total deflection (total up and down). I recently found out Cannondale recommends the same. A little looser is preferable to a little tighter, as tighter wears out equipment faster.

·
Registered
976 Posts
bad mechanic said:
Why would you want to make the chain wear quicker? :confused:

Set the correct tension from the very beginning. I try and set 1/2" of total deflection (total up and down). I recently found out Cannondale recommends the same. A little looser is preferable to a little tighter, as tighter wears out equipment faster.
BM, when you say 1/2" deflection, is this the amount of "normal" sag 1/2 way between chain ring and cog, or are you applying some pressure and pressing down on the chain ?

·
Registered
218 Posts
I didn't say it's the right thing to do, neither I said I make so tight that it makes noise. Just tight enough to allow for stretching and not having to mess with chain tension all the time. It works just fine for me. No issues here. Chains brake Bc people don't check it enough not Bc it is too tight.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.