Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
What about a set of chains to fit a 3.7? Might be nice for extreme ice, hopefully they would be easy to remove and put on so you could take them on and off trailside.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I don't know about clearance with chains. A lot of frames/forks can barely handle 3.7s, let alone an extra 10mm or so for chains rattling around the wheel...

·
Banned
165 Posts
Well, if you got a flat, that would fix everything.
You'd have to cut off all the zipties!

·
Ologist
964 Posts
I ride a frozen lake pretty often here in AK and don't even need studs let alone chains. I guess if your ice was close to 30 degrees Fahrenheit then I think they could help.

·
Administrator
11,875 Posts
They think chains help in mud? :skep:

You could get bike chains like this in the '90s. You deflate the tire to get them on/off.
I remember one winter in Canada when a friend of mine got a pair of those to ride in winter. I riding my white porcupines, decided that it wasn't really that needed. I also remember watching them walk off the rear tire, suck into his cantilevers and eject him into a pile on the ground, while breaking the brake, bending the canti stud and f-ing up his wheel. Even with discs I think these would be a bad idea, one broken strand or leaking tire and they could easily jam up in drivetrain, BB area or fork crowns/brake bridges.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.