Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
beater
5,991 Posts
The DHX-A gets a ton of e-hate, but I don't think it's that bad on the WFO. I've seen a thread or 2 on the Knolly forum with similar feedback on the DHX-A. One thing to remember is that most of the people who report hating it b/c it blows through the mid-stroke are on different bikes, with different leverage curves. I actually called PUSH about an MX Tune for a DHX 3.0 and talked to Darren for a while. He advised against it on the WFO, believe it or not, based on Niner's relatively flat leverage curve. If you're a bigger guy, I think it's a better choice for the WFO than the RP23, largely b/c of the bottom-out adjustment. It's not the last shock that I'll have on this frame, but it does the job. I'll swap the fork first.

·
Underskilled
4,628 Posts
I was told by Niner (when asking about what I should tell the tuning company about the bike) that the WFO has a regressive stroke.

I thought regressive stroke combined with a shock with a fast mid travel would be a recipe for disaster. Well in theory, you have tried it in practise, so are therefore biased ;-)

If you do have RP23 it is quite easy to tune the bottom out, it just does have a dial.
Take off the overflow can and put in a bit of plastic sheet (1mm thick) to reduce teh air volume. It takes a bit of trial and error but works perfectly.

Am still yet to try my modded rp on a full on DH course, but that is the plan for sunday.

·
Underskilled
4,628 Posts
I do have one thing to add on the DHX, the RP23 looks stupid on a WFO, the DHX awesome.

I know an avalanche would look best though =-)

·
Registered
37 Posts
CaveGiant said:
I do have one thing to add on the DHX, the RP23 looks stupid on a WFO, the DHX awesome.

I know an avalanche would look best though =-)
*cough, cough* CaneCreekDoubleBarrel

Excuse me, sorry about that, something in my throat...:D

21 - 25 of 25 Posts