Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so back in christmas of 1995 my folks gave me a Boulder Giant.

i rode it some in college and now would like to get back on to it. do you guys think that there will be any problems with upgrading it? I've been trying to check out the Giant website but all of there stuff is from the last 5 years.

Does anyone know of a place that i could find the specs of a bike this old?

·
Domestic Fowl
869 Posts
shiitake said:
so back in christmas of 1995 my folks gave me a Boulder Giant.

i rode it some in college and now would like to get back on to it. do you guys think that there will be any problems with upgrading it? I've been trying to check out the Giant website but all of there stuff is from the last 5 years.

Does anyone know of a place that i could find the specs of a bike this old?
Not sure how much you're looking to upgrade, but here's a few things to consider....

At that age there's a good chance that that bike has a 1" steering tube. The standard these days is 1-1/8" steering tube. This will seriously limit suspension fork choices for you. I know Marzocchi was still making a fork with a 1" steering tube a couple of years ago, but I don't know if they still do. Its likely that the frame doesn't have brake mounts for disc brakes either, so a rear disc is out of the question. If you do manage to find a fork that will fit that bike, you may still be able to put one on the front, if you desire. Lots of people do this. Most of your braking power comes from the front wheel anyway. That bike is likely to have had catilever brakes as well, which means a brake levers will need replacing if you go with v-brakes and/or cable pull disc up front.

As far as drivetrain stuff, there's a good chance you have a 7 speed setup(just count the number of gears on the back wheel), which is probably going to push you into a full shifter and drivetrain upgrade.

You're looking at a pretty solid chunk of money at this point if you want to bring this thing up to date. You're probably 3/4 (or more) of the way to a new bike. I'd price out some parts online and compare with some new bike prices. Look for some end-of-season sales that will be coming up soon.

Good luck!

FRC

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks man.

i think i'm just going to have to wait untill i have the bike here and then see how it feels.

primarily i'm thinking that it will be a great commuter bike to use for getting me to and from the train station everyday.

i'll probably want to do some train riding during the weekends. but i guess we'll see.

·
Domestic Fowl
869 Posts
shiitake said:
thanks man.

i think i'm just going to have to wait untill i have the bike here and then see how it feels.

primarily i'm thinking that it will be a great commuter bike to use for getting me to and from the train station everyday.

i'll probably want to do some train riding during the weekends. but i guess we'll see.
No problem. If you're going to use this as a commuter, I'd just fix things as they break.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.