Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Interesting test. What I was looking at was how much the chain jumped around and it looked to be about the same between the two.
I don't see how the movement of the body of the derailleur really matters all that much. Chain control is what really matters, not how much the body of the derailleur jumps around.

·
Addicted 2 building trail
124 Posts
I found that my Shimano derailleur was rattling against my frame so much, I had to stick a piece of rubber on there to quieten it down a little. I was planning to switch to SRAM, when it wore anyway. Now, it looks like another reason why it would be good to switch to SRAM

I ride a Kona Dawg Dee-lux

·
ol'guy who says hi &waves
2,546 Posts
My only question... are the deraileur spring tensions equal?

I run both and set up both myself.

I haven't noticed a significant difference, but I also don't have the same view angle as the camera.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Feel like riding a single speed. :thumbsup:

Before yall jump all over me, I ride a Yeti AS-X as well. I'm not a Singlie snob. ;)

·
Registered
9,583 Posts
I was watching the chain

Look again at the difference of how high the upper part of the chain goes up between Shimano to SRAM. It seemed to me as if the Shimano der.'s action counteracted the desire of the chain to deflect up and down so violently. It was interesting that the SRAM der. didn't move like the Shimano but maybe the XTRs movement is a calculated thing. I have an XTR rear der. BTW. Love it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have you guys notice that when the video shows the shimano del. in the comparison, it shows it with blue lines and the SRAM with red ones? probably the guys wants to say something with that, like blue is good and red is bad.... :S I don't know and I really want to find out (I'm about to buy a new SRAM transmition

·
Si vales, valeo.
277 Posts
I would be interested in seeing a video of my setup - Shimano Saint (short cage) with E13 chainguide. :)

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
It appears that the Shimano is one gear higher than the SRAM?

While chain slap is an issue (not big for me) it appears that this is a gliding test, cause the foot does not move.

I really want to see a pedalling and shifting test since thats what I mostly do.

I assume that both RD's are well set-up

I really like it when people provide excellent raw data such as this.

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
I initially was with the same thought that others expressed, noticing the chain bounce a lot in both cases, with the derailleur motion not really mattering as long as it keeps it on the cogs.

But then I realized there is a small effect on chain wrap-around, (the number of teeth that the chain engages, usually set by the B-screw. This is important because not enough wrap-around under torque can cause the chain to slip over the cogs, especially when they are slightly worn.

I would think however, the biggest issue is the top chain bouncing like it does in both cases. This would likely cause the chain to pop onto smaller cogs--but rectified quickly when the rider turns the crank.

·
just along for the ride
3,033 Posts
Interesting if both set-ups are brand spanking new, they better be cause even a bit of ring wear will make the rear D jump way more. If both are indeed new drivetrains then its obvious the SRAM has a much stronger spring load.

·
Registered
205 Posts
It's just down to what you want. More chain tension comes at a higher spring rate of the RD cage, but the down side is added drag in the jockey pulleys. Two independently engineered & manufactured systems from different companies will have different spring rates, and different amounts of drag.

If you're into the XC racerboy thing, then you might prefer the XTR, since it'll have slightly less drag, at a cost of some chain control.

If you're not, you might prefer Sram, since it'll help keep chainsuck & stay damage down.

Campagnolo still beats both of em though.

·
Registered
205 Posts
JMH said:
Yeah, Record OR is da bomb!:rolleyes: JMH
Well, I was referring to the new stuff. Record 3x10, with long cage RD & either dirt drops or Moonhead/Record thumb shifters. Interference fit, close tolerances, super light weight, tight springs, great workmanship, mud venting, and servicability. Shimano & Sram don't come close to it.

But since you brought it up, yes, Record OR was damn nice stuff. By the time it came out, it was too late to repair the damage from their half-assed attempts at an MTB gruppo with Olympus, Euclid, Centaur, and Icarus. It's easy to assume that everything in the past was crap since so much of it was, and products that aren't still around are equally easy to write off, but OR is one of those few instances where someone got it right. If they'd only started with that... There's more than one reason why Record OR thumbshifters sell for $300, pedals $450, cranks $5-600... with the luxury of hindsight, it's now known to be one of the few collectors gruppos that's not only ridable, but rides as well as anything. Not for those on a budget, of course, but it never was.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.