Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done mountain biking in the past, but most of my riding is road. I just moved to Georgia where I don't feel as safe on the roads as I did in Colorado so I decided to buy a 29er. Tried a 27.5 Scott size medium but felt it was too small. Rode a Trek X Caliber 8 size medium and I liked it. But then I tried the Cannondale Trail 4, size M and it felt great. I like the way it handled on the pavement. But then I took it for a spin on a trail. Hmm, a couple of stops when I got to a steep descent almost had me singing soprano. My crotch did hit the the top bar. I am about 5 7 and ½. Since knee replacement I lost some height. Oh and I am 72 and want to live until 73.
Is this bike too big for me? <object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>

·
Registered
14,131 Posts
On trail demo is the way to go and that is what you're doing. Demo days offer options to try several sizes back to back over the same terrain. You can ask if any are coming up because this is the best time of year for them. Comfort doesn't put standover as high on the list of getting a good fit as controlling the bike on steeper downhills. If you are confident with the fit on those downhills that is the most important for you to get to next season. But a smaller size can be tweaked with a setback seatpost and different length stem and wider bars to help create more cockpit space. Some frame types are more comfortable on joints like knees. The Trek 9.6 carbon is worth a demo. It has very good compliance over bumps. Titanium frames also can be good over bumps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that info. What I was wondering is should I look more seriously at 27.5 bikes rather than the 29er?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm 68. I suggest sticking with 29ers. But as you get older its best to set your bike up a little differently. Higher handldebars, at least even with your saddle and most seniors prefer a longer top tube combined with a shorter stem.

·
Registered
14,131 Posts
The more bikes you ride, the better chance of finding a good one for you. On trail is best. I also like 29s.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Agree to disagree. Given your height, you are at a point where 27.5 might be better. Demo, demo, demo until you find the bike that makes you smile.

27.5 or 29, just get a plush, full suspension ride and some low (easy) gears to save your knees on the climbs.
I'm 65, and just went back to full suspension (Salsa Spearfish) and got a 2x set up with a 22-tooth small front ring.

But honestly, the best $$ you can spend at this point is for a Better Ride clinic to develop the good habits and skills you need to keep you safely on your new mountain bike so you can enjoy the trails. They are expensive and worth every penny. There is one in Ellijay next weekend, but it is showing as filled up. The next one in Georgia is at Conyers this fall.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
June Bug. Thanks for the Link to the clinic. Did not know about that. The local Performance Bike in Buford Ga is having a clinic on April 19 that I will attend. I guess I should admit, I do have some fears of falling. Never had an accident or fall that was serious on a road bike, mechanical break downs was about it. But I broke a rib in a fall down a hill (endo) some 9 years ago. Then a year ago October I fell on a simple climb. In fact I was ecstatic that I finally made it all the way up but stuck in SAND and could not unclip fast enough. So though what the H, I have fallen before. This time I fell on my left shoulder and tore the rotator. 18 months later I am only feeling safe enough to ride again and though I don't have complete range of motion, on the bike I have enough. So I guess I am thinking that is why I like a 'smaller' frame?
If I knew I could do it, I would look at the full suspension, but for now I just want a mid entry level bike. Not a lot of stores where I live without having to drive some 35 miles in atlanta traffic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts