Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
let freedom ring!
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know alot of people push there Trances beyond what they were intended for. I am over 200lbs and have taken mine down some lift assisted downhill trails here locally, and it performed awesome. I also take it on a local freeride trail climbing rocks and again it has done awesome. So lets here it! What kind of crazy " I can't believe this bike survived" stories do you have..

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
so you are a clyde pushing the limits of your trance. sick! do you bottom out your shock much?

·
let freedom ring!
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
a "clyde"

I rarely bottom the rear at all, I am running around 245lbs of pressure in it and have the rebound turned down, it's way smooth that way. I run a vanilla rlc up front with 130mm of travel and it puts the bike in a perfect agressive stance..... way fun.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wow!! 245lb of pressure?? I am 220 and only use 200-210 in the shock. I'd consider myself a smooth rider to a degree and I haven't ever felt a bottom out to date. I used to race DH and had the chanceto take this on a couple of courses and have ridden at nearly race speed and am absoutly amazed at how the bike handles, reacts and takes it all.

·
Gone riding
3,351 Posts
Yeah they can take a little bit of "abuse". :D

This photo was taken during one of the rounds of last years Australian National Series. Mind you it is a team bike, so I guess preservation might not be too important. I guess it depends how smooth you are as a rider too.

Dave.

·
Registered
205 Posts
All I can say is I've had some good wipe outs on mine...and save a bent hangar, which I had replaced, it's performed exceptionally for lots of abuse. I'm 6' and 190 lbs riding some pretty rough stuff in AZ....without the South Mountain 3 foot drops.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
I'm no clyde by any means - around 170-175 - but I've had my '05 Trance for over 18 months and put in over 3,500 miles on it and it's still going strong. About 2,800 of those are rough road/trail miles and I don't take the smoothest line (especially when I first got it and wanted to see how it performed). Only thing I've had issues with was a bolt in the top mount for the shock that had a too short shoulder and wore the bushings and the crappy pivot bearings they installed in the '05 models.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
What did it look like after the landing?

Impressive as the picture may be, it means nothing until you see what the bike looked like after the landing.
:)

·
Gone riding
3,351 Posts
It survived a practise session and a full day of riding, so I assume it was alright. :D

As I said it was a team bike, smooth professional rider, and he had team support so who knows how things went in the long run. Maestro based bikes were only trickling in at that stage, so I wouldn’t be surprised if he had to make do with what he was given.

Dave.

·
Motion activated
3,256 Posts
It should also be worth noting that the shock on that bike is most likely valved for 4x. A regular rp3 setup with the right amount of sag and the standard valving for trail riding would bottom out putting a lot of stress on the frame.

·
Gone riding
3,351 Posts
Yeah it was most likely re-valved. Anyway we're getting a little off topic here. Sorry Get Lost!

Actually Steve brings up a good point though, have any of you heavier riders considered re-valving your shocks at all?

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
What do you consider heavy?

I've never given any thought to revalving in the past when I actually owned an FS but since I am now in the market for a new one, I'm curious what you would consider heavy. I weight somewhere between 185 - 190. Not light but not a Clyde. How would revalving help if I got a new Trance with the Fox RP23 or would it not help at all? What about forks? I've been riding the same SID for years and don't detect any problems but you never know when something gradually degrades over time it is often not noticed.

Well, enough off topic rambles for this morning. I still want to know what that Trance looked like "after" the landing. Sure looked great in the air.......

·
Gone riding
3,351 Posts
Well this photo was taken with a mate's camera during the next round. I don't have any others of it in action, but I assure you the bike lasted the full day! :D

Dave.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
DOn't know about the RP23 axcept that it's being toated as better than the RP3. As far as rider weight I'm around 170-175lbs right now and was around 180-185lbs (hope to get back there soon) and I would say with the stock FloatR's they don't suit a rider over 170lbs. I'm curious about the Rp23's 'cause I plan on holding on to my Trance for a while yet and am considering buying one for it and then maybe have the FloatR PUSHed.

Rev Bubba said:
I've never given any thought to revalving in the past when I actually owned an FS but since I am now in the market for a new one, I'm curious what you would consider heavy. I weight somewhere between 185 - 190. Not light but not a Clyde. How would revalving help if I got a new Trance with the Fox RP23 or would it not help at all? .
As for your SID, I'm not quite sure how a guy my weight or heavier could ride a SID. From all I've read and heard and from watching my friends SID they are flexy as hell and I wouldn't like to ride one - friends about 150-160lbs. I would suggest you condier buying one of the new RS forks for tyour Trance, either the Revelation w/ U-Turn or a REBA.

What about forks? I've been riding the same SID for years and don't detect any problems but you never know when something gradually degrades over time it is often not noticed.

Well, enough off topic rambles for this morning. I still want to know what that Trance looked like "after" the landing. Sure looked great in the air......

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
SID is on an IF hardtail and it stays there

I use the SID where it was intended. A light weight (24 lbs) XC hardtail. For that purpose, it is excellent and my weight has never been an issue with the fork.

The fork I would be putting on the Trance is a Pike. Overkill, yes, but it is what is on my Chameleon and I intend to swap parts if/when I get a new frame. I am quite happy with the Pike and can dial it down to the proper length for the Trance.

·
Motion activated
3,256 Posts
Low_Rider said:
Well this photo was taken with a mate's camera during the next round. I don't have any others of it in action, but I assure you the bike lasted the full day! :D

Dave.
But he's coming last in that photo :madmax: The only thing to conclude is that Giant make durable, but slow bikes :D

·
Motion activated
3,256 Posts
Rev Bubba said:
How would revalving help if I got a new Trance with the Fox RP23 or would it not help at all?
I can't say for sure as I've no experience with the Trance, but Push Ind would have measured it and should be able to give you a clear indication of what to expect. Some linkages will benefit more than others. At 180lb or so you're in the range that the shock was designed for I'd imagine, but then again leverage ratios can play a big part in that as well.

Then again, ride it and if your happy with it that is all that matters. When it needs a service it's not that much extra to get push to re-valve it as apposed to just a rebuild.

·
Five is right out
3,174 Posts
Aluminum is very strong, but has no fatigue limit. If an aluminium frame is going to fail from heavy abuse, it will only do so after repeated abuse time, not just a couple of months of abuse. Certainly not after a day.

Short of really bad build problems (which I would not expect from Giant), riding a Trance (or any other bike) hard isn't going to break the bike initially. The real test is how many hard-ridden frames start failing after they've been in the market for several years.

On the plus side the Trance frames seem to be a tad heavy. That's a point in their favour as far as durability is concerned.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts