Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Hack Racer
Joined
·
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found out a fellow car racer was into Mountain bike a decade ago. He sent me some pics. He said it's about 11 years old. I don't recognize anything on the bike other than the words shimano on the front and rear derailer. Compared to my brand new 05 specialized stumpjumper disc it looks like a motorcycle.
 

Attachments

·
3.14159265358979323846…
Joined
·
2,847 Posts
Dude that's Bobke's bike!

Cheers! said:
Found out a fellow car racer was into Mountain bike a decade ago. He sent me some pics. He said it's about 11 years old. I don't recognize anything on the bike other than the words shimano on the front and rear derailer. Compared to my brand new 05 specialized stumpjumper disc it looks like a motorcycle.
Bob Roll raced one just like that back in the early-mid 90's... complete with Hed wheels. He and a couple other names that I can't remember.
 

·
Suddenly feeling my age..
Joined
·
165 Posts
Rumpfy said:
Ask him if he wants to sell me that wheelset! :D

It's circa 95-96. Not quite 'vintage', but very hip in it's day.
Those Hed DH wheels were terrible. Went out of true easily and were a ***** to true. You had to remove the tyre, tube and rim tape and use a 6mm hex driver as a spoke key. The rim was a single wall, soft piece of crap... and they weighed a ton!
 

·
uh, or something!
Joined
·
479 Posts
we sold them at the shop i worked at years ago - if i remember correctly, that was either called beast or animal. weighed a ton! we always had a pile of broken frames and swingarms.....proflex/offroad was a local RI company that had great ideas but they seemed to let the consumers do the strength part of R&D for them in the field.
 

·
Person
Joined
·
775 Posts
I read somewhere that the OEM Hed wheels were fiberglass that had been dyed black.

Have no idea if that's true or not, but it would explain the bike being a reasonable price at the time. IIRC it was only a couple hundred bucks more than the 855, which had normal wheels and canti brakes.
 

·
just 1 more
Joined
·
1,153 Posts
This is an Animal, you can kinda read it on the top tube. Couple of guys I rode with had these, the right combination of downhill pitch and rock or rut would throw them off hard. Seemed to have a really steep seat tube angle that put the C/G too forward and the front axle motion coming up and back were a bad deal. The rear sus. action would tug the chain and they ghost shifted bad. Well named.
 

·
VRC Illuminati
Joined
·
17,650 Posts
Arran said:
Those Hed DH wheels were terrible. Went out of true easily and were a ***** to true. You had to remove the tyre, tube and rim tape and use a 6mm hex driver as a spoke key. The rim was a single wall, soft piece of crap... and they weighed a ton!
Dude....I ride Tioga Tension Disks.:crazy:
 

·
I wear two thongs
Joined
·
1,675 Posts
Didn't K2 end up buying Proflex and use their frame design for a few yrs?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
robinmiller said:
Well, however antiquated the suspension design, that was a pretty drool-worthy bike in its day.
Not if you worked in a shop that sold/serviced them. Every mechanic minus the owner of the shop I worked at in the mid to late '90s hated ProFlex/K2. Those forks were super-high maintenance and performed poorly--even for the time. And remember this is when the Judy forks were out. Thank God Marzocchi introduced the Bomber. Ahh...oil bath:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
462 Posts
filegiant said:
Not if you worked in a shop that sold/serviced them. Every mechanic minus the owner of the shop I worked at in the mid to late '90s hated ProFlex/K2. Those forks were super-high maintenance and performed poorly--even for the time. And remember this is when the Judy forks were out. Thank God Marzocchi introduced the Bomber. Ahh...oil bath:)
I guess so.. But back then i was in high school, and used to go drool over those and the candy painted DeKerfs at the Bike Cellar in North Vancouver. ;)

At least i get 1 out of 2 in the taste department!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
robinmiller said:
I guess so.. But back then i was in high school, and used to go drool over those and the candy painted DeKerfs at the Bike Cellar in North Vancouver. ;)

At least i get 1 out of 2 in the taste department!
DeKerfs are nice. I'll secong the 1 out of 2 ;)
 

·
uh, or something!
Joined
·
479 Posts
Correct - K2 bought Proflex. Proflex was originally called Offroad - Woonsocket, Rhode Island. My buddy raced on one of the first full suspension Proflex rigs and it was actually made by Serotta.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top