Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just courious how many of you use as your main ride a bike 10 years or older. I was using a 2003 FS Stumpy, but now have switched over to a 1996 Schwinn HG hardtail. All the componetry is 96-98 XT, XTR including a 96 Judy XC. 8 speed, V-brakes and what not. It's dated, but works for me.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
1983 Puegot puke green moped with bald tires and a bad muffler. Some people laugh at it but they all like to hook up with fat chicks, so it all evens out in the end.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Most of my recent mileage is commuting so I guess my main ride is my Hardrock rigid. Bought it new in '92. I started using it for commuting about 4 yrs. ago but it does still goes on the occasional trail ride.

·
2006 Yeti AS-X
3,217 Posts
I still occasionally ride a 1999 Specialized FSR Ground Control.. Used to be my main bike until a year ago. Now my main joy is an 06 AS-X.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
In the summer, I spend most of my time on my single speed. It is from about 1995 (the frame) Many of the parts are from 1989-1992.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Scott O said:
1983 Puegot puke green moped with bald tires and a bad muffler. Some people laugh at it but they all like to hook up with fat chicks, so it all evens out in the end.
I love big chicks bigger the better! 05 reign still rocks some rough stuff.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
27 Posts
My main bike is a 99 diamondback DBR x-10. I think I will get a new bike next year, probably an Ibis Mojo HD or Knolly Endorphin, BAM YAH!

·
local jackass
931 Posts
2010 Spesh P1 All Mountain

·
Seeeriously easy Livin
1,863 Posts
2005 sinister splinter, frame has seen 3 sets of cranks, 3 wheelsets, 3 rear shocks, 3 handlebars, 3 saddles, 3 stems, 2 rear deraileurs, 2 saddles, but just one marzocchi Z1 freeride.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Used to ride a Rock Hopper circa 1992 I think to commute on, but it had small wheels so I bought a big wheeled bike to replace it :D RIght now my bikes are 2.75 yrs old and 1.75 yrs old, do have a in very good condition 2005 Trance frame as wall art ;)

·
Registered
552 Posts
My primary MTB is two years old, a 2008 Kent Eriksen hardtail. In 2008 it replaced my then 13 year old 1995 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 FS. My primary road bike is nine years old, a 2001 Gunnar Crosshairs.

·
Registered
331 Posts
my primary commuter is a gary fisher wahoo from some time in the 90's. It set up SS with bull bars and slicks. Original wheel set and brakes both of which need to be replaced.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
My main trail bike is a 2soulscycles hardtail, put together in 2008.

After my 1992 (?) HardRock frame split at the seat tube, a couple of years ago, I've been accumulating all sorts of mileage on the Banshee Scirocco, originally built in 2005.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Custom Tom Teasdale frame with short 16" stays. Built in 2003, still has Suntour XC Pro thumbshifters on it. All other parts 2003-ish.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
2003 Blur... Also 2003 Triumph.

Too bad my road bike isn't an '03 as well. I still have my first MTB, a '98 Fisher that's now setup SS. But you said main ride...

·
Chilling out
6,030 Posts
My main ride is a 2003 Titus Quasi Moto - so not ten years old yet.

But it's going to make it!

Of course, there's dang little on the bike that is original-build equipment, what with the punishment it's had to deal with: main triangle, seat post, seat mast, seat stay, headset.

Original bits still in service just not on that bike are the hubs ( 2001 King DiscGoTech ) and the brakes ( 2003 Magura Louise FR ). The former were replaced by DT Swiss FR440 last year, the latter were replaced by 2007 edition of the same thing in that year. I still have the original stem ( Thomson ) but have switched to a shorter stem.

Oh, and I polished the frame over the winter. It looks much happier now.

click link for a piccy if desire

1 - 20 of 192 Posts