Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a solid singletrack bike with this level of specs. New I'm looking at $1500-ish. Came across this 2005 Jamis locally. My size, barely used, asking $475. Spoke to the owner and it's all original everything, just hardly ever used. At 1/3 the price of new I can't help but consider it. A new bike will look worse after a dozen trail rides.
But what concerns are there with a 9y/o bike?

Thanks for any feedback.

FS 2005 Jamis Dakota XC - a set on Flickr

·
Registered
45 Posts
Give it a good search over, check all the welds and any areas of stress.
Its hard to say how old is too old. If we take out the changes in design over those years and just come back to the reliability it will come down to a few things

-material used, different material have certain life spans and characteristics
-design, if its built to be light weight race bike it wont last as long, on the flip if its built to be burly it will last much longer
-life it has had, a well looked after bike ridden by on basic trails by an average rider is going to be in great condition compared to bike ridden on the roughest trails by a above average rider who thrashes everything.
-Maintenance, how well looked after the bike is comes into play for sure.

The other things that would be under consideration would be the improvements in technology and geometry since the bike was created.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Age per se, meh.

Parts compatibility is what really makes older bikes become too much trouble, or unable to ride like their newer peers.

To the rear spacing and 1-1/8" threadless headset, I'd add disc brakes and at least an 80 mm fork in the original spec. You should have all that with an '05 Jamis.

If you like the way it rides, do it.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Nothing wrong with a 2005. It looks like a very nice bike. First thing is to consider is if you want a 26er. Nothing wrong with that, but if you really want a 29er, then you may end up selling the Jamis. Not that you would lose a lot of money, but you would still have to sell it anyway.

Then, read the reviews to see the positives and negatives. If you get it, I would get the fork serviced, even if it has just been sitting around all these years. Possibly get new tires, tubes, chain and a tune-up. Depending on whether you do the work or not You may be into it for another $100-$150, but I think it is worth it.

John

·
1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
1,283 Posts
I like old bikes...but some age better than others. the geo on my 25 year old roadie is pretty good and I am happy with it but I wouldn't be happy on a 10 year old old school 26er geo mtb. Long stem and front wheel under me is OK for road but I don;t like it off road. Still, it's kind of fun if it isn;t your only bike.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
I actually don't think XC hardtail geometry has changed in the last 10 years.

Handlebars have. I think the new wider bars are pretty cool and using those means a shorter stem to keep the same riding position.

I don't have a sense as to whether more people set up their MTBs like cruisers now than they used to. Back when, people pointed their bar ends at the sky and rode bolt upright with their palms on the bends. I think homeless alcoholics using them are one of the big reasons bar ends have fallen out of favor.

Of course, there are some new trends in hardtails too. AM hardtails and the new wheel sizes - I think neither was around in '05, although I'm pretty sure there were already dirt jumpers and dual slalom hardtails.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.