Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started riding when I was just a wee lad, spent most of my youth jumping people, cars, houses, dogs and whatever I could find. I broke a lot of frames back then.
When I was young I lived in southern California (Orange county) and was around for the begining of BMX, We had races every weekend and the local radio station even came out to broadcast our races. The good old days.
I am curious what the average age around here is?
By the way , I'm 46 ( I think?) A.H.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Born in Dec of 75 but I don't remember that very well. Some of my earliest memories though are of riding BMX. When I moved to England in 88 I got involved with the freestyle riders at the base. RAD was the best movie back then and BMX Plus! was the magazine of choice. I rode all through school and then when I moved to Florida it was just so damn hot that I took up surfing instead. Eventually I got a motorcycle and took all my freestyle love to the streat with that. A few years ago my motorcycle was stolen. I ended up getting a road bike that I have been riding on and off for the past 3 years and now I'm in the market to get a mountain bike. I love to get outside and ride, it makes me feel like a kid.

·
Registered
293 Posts
41 here.

Aaron, my story is almost the same as yours. Starting riding when I was a wee punk. There wasn't a BMX frame in the neighborhood I couldn't break jumping off of loading docks and piles of shipping skids. I was constantly wrenching frankenbikes in my back yard and even tore down my moms bike (with a 3 speed internal geared rear hub) to trade those parts parts for my jump bikes. She was pi$$ed. I remember bunny hopping garbage cans on the way home from school.

I thought BMX racing was boring because it was more about speed and less about how far and high you could jump. In hindsight, I wish I raced BMX as it would have kept me in the cycling world longer.

·
Pedaler of dirt
903 Posts
I'll be 39 later this year, sheesh. Started out on a rigid bike about 22 years ago, moved to a hardtail, invested in a full sus, went back to racing a hardtail for a while and now thinking of going single speed 29. My wife keeps wishing I'd grow out of mtbing and take up a sport more fitting a person of my years. I've told her, if they ever made golf a full contact sport I'd be all over it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'll be 40 in a few days. Rode BMX when I was a teen, got out of biking for awhile then started riding/racing MTB in the early 90's. Now I'm middle-aged, have kids, etc. BUT despite all that, MTB is in my blood until I'm dead.

I just started racing again last year and don't plan to stop. I'm going to expand my horizons into cyclocross later this year hopefully. Biking is one of the rare sports where you can be very competitive well into your 40's and 50's.

If your wife is telling you to give up bikes, then I'd consider having a serious conversation with her. My wife is totally supportive of me riding. She knows the health benefits (physical and mental) are well worth the time and dollars.

Besides, golf SUCKS. It's for fat, rich, white guys with no sense of humor. lol

·
My dogs are barkin
126 Posts
I am 38, going on 39 (ouch). Picked up my first bike in '87, an old Miyata Ridge Runner. Pretty sweet ride back then. Many bikes have come and gone since, put my years in on the race circuit and am now back to just LOVIN the bike.

B

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was just thinking how funny old Schwinn stingray frames looked with the back half of the frame bent up after a jump, and how hard it was to steer when the forks bent. I remember when I got my first good frame, I think it was a GTX Spoiler? I think that's what it was called, Then I got the first forks that I couldn't break, Ashtabula, they were heavy but indestructible. We used to tie our spokes together to keep the rim from bending. We would have to tear our rear hubs apart to get rid of the Bendix brake and modify brakes off of ten speeds to fit our rims. We bought our handle bars from motorcycle shops and cut them down. I remember getting really excited when the first double clamp "goose-necks" came out, you weren't cool if you didnt have one even though they weighed about four pounds. Anyone have one of those nylon front sprokets that wore out after a week? All our bike were covered with foam pipe insulation until the real deal came out. Breaking one piece cranks on a hard landing always resulted in an interesting injury. I sure miss those days! A.H.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Be 59 in a couple days......

Age doesn't mean much.

I spent last weekend getting up early and riding 25 miles a day on the road bike than heading to the beach for a couple hours surfing. This is my normal Saturday - Monday routine for a good part of the year.

When I'm not at the shore, I'm on one of my three mountain bikes.

The last bike I built up (couple weeks ago) was a long travel Chameleon.

Next major purchase will be another surfboard.

Oh, yeah, there is ski season to round things out. I'm going on my 19th year as an instructor (41st year as a skier) and plan to ski Paradise at Mad River Glen once again this winter and maybe try Taos for something different.

Life only gets better if you let it.
:D

·
don't thread on me
429 Posts
56 in August. I think we need our own "OLD DUDE!" forum, where we can talk about our old guy hucking, jumping, shredding, pain, prostate glands, cancer, heart problems, hemorrhoids, incontinence, etc without all of these young guys jumping our asses...:D

Send Gregg, Francios and the mods your request for an OLD DUDE Forum. Can you imagine the threads that will be in there! :crazy:

1 - 20 of 140 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.