Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2Bliss (brown) tape failed so I replaced it with gorilla tape per a few MTBR recommendations and installed a tire I ended up hating so I swapped to another. Ever since, my tire won't even hold air overnight. I'm assuming because I damaged/disturbed the gorilla tape. Is that expected to have to re-apply with every new tire? That's disappointing because I swap tires depending upon terrain.

In case it matters... the tire that is not holding air is a Maxxis Ardent 29x2.25 Exo TR on Roval Traverse wheels. I made sure that the line around sidewall near the bead is consistent (to confirm the bead is seated all the way around).

·
I ride a Swarf
1,314 Posts
Not used gorilla tape, or 2bliss, but I have never had to replace stans yellow tape, and currently my back wheel has electrical tape sealing the spokes, and that has held up for several months.

How long have you been using the new tyre? Sometimes it takes a little while for the goop to get in all the nooks, not too long normally for a tubeless ready, but worth a ride or two if it holds air long enough for a ride.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not used gorilla tape, or 2bliss, but I have never had to replace stans yellow tape, and currently my back wheel has electrical tape sealing the spokes, and that has held up for several months.

How long have you been using the new tyre? Sometimes it takes a little while for the goop to get in all the nooks, not too long normally for a tubeless ready, but worth a ride or two if it holds air long enough for a ride.
Only a few rides so far. Just threw me off cuz all other tubeless tires I've used sealed perfectly the first time except once I didn't get the bead in all the way and now I know to check for that.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just checked and this time it held air perfectly overnight... maybe it was just a freak fluke?

So I should be able to change tires as I please without worrying about messing up the tape? It's only $3 a roll so I don't really care about that, it's the time of having to re-do it that bothers me more.

·
Chris Bling
2,585 Posts
I'll echo what others have said. Once you apply the tape (Gorilla or otherwise) you shouldnt have to do it again. At least in the see-able future :)

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
I use Gorilla Tape on all wheels. The only issue I will have is if the air valve get a little loose from many, many bike pump on-offs, and allows air to escape. A strip of GT over the valve hole and cut a little X to press valve stem back in: fixes everything.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
gorilla tape usually lasts about 4 years for me. But have since moved on to 3m strapping tape. I also go old skool stan's method and "seat" the tape overnight with a tube.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I don't have the same good luck with gorilla tape as everyone else, it seems. It probably lasts two tire changes on average for me before I have to reapply.

I think the problem is with dried up stans welding the bead and the tape together, and when the tire comes off it moves the tape a little and loosens it, which then lets stans in there and leaking starts.

It is dry where I live and stan's evaporates fast, that may affect things.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't have the same good luck with gorilla tape as everyone else, it seems. It probably lasts two tire changes on average for me before I have to reapply.

I think the problem is with dried up stans welding the bead and the tape together, and when the tire comes off it moves the tape a little and loosens it, which then lets stans in there and leaking starts.

It is dry where I live and stan's evaporates fast, that may affect things.
Ya I kinda felt like taking the tire off lifted the tape in a few spots but it went back down on its own.

My concern is that there's some particularly aggressive trails I change tires for. I don't ride them often but it'll be a pain now when I do.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
If you used a tire lever to remove or install the tire, maybe you moved the tape enough to break the seal?
If you are using tire levers and aren't careful then this can happen. I haven't found I need tire levers for most tubeless rims and tires but I know some combinations (esp Stans rims) can be a PITA to mount and remove.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you are using tire levers and aren't careful then this can happen. I haven't found I need tire levers for most tubeless rims and tires but I know some combinations (esp Stans rims) can be a PITA to mount and remove.
Couldn't imagine doing it without a lever. Can't get them on or off without one and I'm a bigger guy with a long weight lifting background.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts