Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in my LBS the other day and one of the employees was shocked that I didn't own a rear shock pump, and even more shocked to hear that I have never put air in the rear shock.

How often, if ever, are you folks putting air in? Mine is still in great working order and has zero reduction in sag in the couple years I've ridden on it. Is that out of the ordinary? I believe it's a RockShox Ario (or something like that).

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Every ride. Depending on where i'm riding that day, i may need to adjust pressure. Bigger stuff gets a bit more pressure and smoother/quicker bumps get a bit less. I like knowing where my pressure is at before every ride for all suspension and tires.

·
EDR
10,103 Posts
I keep an eye on my sag. When I notice it's sagging a little too much I'll check the air pressure. If anything I have to add air once or twice a year. The only other times I check the pressure is when I'm going to be heavily loaded like on an overnight bikepacking trip. In that case I just want to bump up the pressure to accommodate the extra weight on the bike.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Before I ride, I pretty much have a mental checklist that I go through and one of them is checking the front and rear sag along with tire pressure among other things. I know a few LBS that gives people a pump for their shocks when they purchase a new bike.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
About once a month. I think it takes longer than that to lose significant pressure, so I figure checking my fork and shock once a month means they're always at the pressures I think are best for me.

Tires, about once a week, basically the same logic.

·
Registered
11,688 Posts
Shock AND fork and not just psi either b/c im always working on balancing my suspension set up so id say pretty frequently.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
I ride with almost the same stuff every time, and since the ideal gas law is subject to absolute temperature, around here, the ambient temperatures when I ride just don't change enough to notice a change in pressure.

Though I could swear it affects my dampers' behavior.

·
Registered
258 Posts
My Fox rear shock doesn't seem to lose pressure but I do routinely check sag and also adjust it with temperature changes. Here in Ohio we can see some pretty big shifts in temperature between the spring, summer, and fall riding seasons.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts