Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Running Sram 830 chains w/Connex link and seem to have to adjust dropout for stretch on a weekly basis. How often does everyone replace chains?
The one on my rig now is way out of spec in less than 500 miles.... do they ever stop growing or just break?

·
Registered
958 Posts
I've been doing the same with cheap sram 8 speed chains. BUT, just discovered KMC half-link chains. The wide version works perfectly with n/w rings and let's you dial in chainstay length just like the old days with individual half links and/or odd-tooth count rings.

We'll see how the durability is compared to the cheap 8 speed stuff…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I'm assuming you're using a chain checker? How do they actually measure out? I've heard of some chain checkers being basically worthless but I don't remember which ones.

FWIW, I usually replace my chains once or twice a year, but I don't track mileage.

·
Rippin da fAt
11,875 Posts
Running Sram 830 chains w/Connex link and seem to have to adjust dropout for stretch on a weekly basis. How often does everyone replace chains?
The one on my rig now is way out of spec in less than 500 miles.... do they ever stop growing or just break?
For a SS chain to get the job, my trials bike has to approve it! Sram chains don't make the cut!
Chains can let go unexpectedly, causing a condition called collidus. Your jewels collide with the back of the stem with great force, nearly shearing em off...

KMC 710 or equivalent is what works for a season on my SS's and go through two a season with the trials bike.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I've been doing the same with cheap sram 8 speed chains. BUT, just discovered KMC half-link chains. The wide version works perfectly with n/w rings and let's you dial in chainstay length just like the old days with individual half links and/or odd-tooth count rings.

We'll see how the durability is compared to the cheap 8 speed stuff…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Let us know how it goes, which model number did you go with? I have always ran KMC 610 and have been crazy durable. Curious how the half link goes.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.