Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
mnoutain bkie rdier
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really don't know if it is just me that does this, but it seems that predictably at about 60% thru any race, I will think to myself "I will never do this again, I feel like crap".

At around 80% I remind myself that I do not enjoy this and this will be my last race.

After the race is over, I again think...."What am I doing here and why did I just put myself thru that?"

The following day.... I can't wait for the next one...:confused:

·
Registered
566 Posts
My thoughts are more along the lines of.........."How did those guys get so far ahead of me"..............and................."How the **** am I going to catch them"

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Don't race anymore, but when I did ... I couldn't control myself at the start. I would think these things at about 5 to 10 minutes into the race. Races where I was caught in the pack and had to chill out a while were enjoyable.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Never but...

I never swear off racing but everytime I wonder why the hell I do it to myself.

Same as drinking too much. I've never uttered the words "I'll never drink again" when I'm in the middle of a hangover, but I do ponder how I could have been so stupid as to have those last couple drinks.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I prepare the entire winter for the upcoming race season, then when I'm actually racing and suffering, I ask myself the same thing. I also ask myself this whenever I'm suffering during interval training or on a long grueling climb.

Once I cross the finish line, finished that interval, or reach the top of a climb, I'd feel great and proud of the pain I just put my body through.

...masochistic?

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
5 min

I feel that way during the first 5 minutes of the race, and then on some climbs when I am going 110% and feel like I'm going to die. Once I settle in, I'm usually having fun. For me endurance isn't as stressful and usually is fun for the entire time.

·
Registered
637 Posts
In cyclocross races, yes... I swear off doing any more, ever again. Somehow I end up back on the start line, though.

XC mtb racing, nope, hasn't happened yet. No matter how hard they are, they're too much fun.

·
Registered
537 Posts
A lot of people fall in love with the idea of racing, but they don't LOVE racing.

If you aren't having fun at a race, then perhaps racing isn't for you.

I know tons of fast riders who spend hours on bikes, but HATE racing.

To each and everyone their own.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I reserve that for when I get 3 day silent treatment for riding 1/2 hour longer than expected. I'm ecstatic when I actually make it to a race. I love the burn on a long hard climb; especially when I have someone I'm chasing or who is chasing me.

·
Your Best Friend
5,457 Posts
Usually around the 4th or 5th lap of any 24 hour race I wonder why the hell I am doing this again.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Rydbyk,

I think the same thing every race. This year I am doing team event to see if I enjoy racing more.

Brian

·
mnoutain bkie rdier
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
iWiLRiDe said:
A lot of people fall in love with the idea of racing, but they don't LOVE racing.

If you aren't having fun at a race, then perhaps racing isn't for you.

I know tons of fast riders who spend hours on bikes, but HATE racing.

To each and everyone their own.
I am not sure it is truly about "fun" for many endurance athletes. I don't believe that those who climb Everest would say they do it for "fun" either. Pain is not fun for most of us. Although confused by it all, apparently it IS for me because mysteriously I end up at the starting line over and over and over.....

Possibly the sense of accomplishment outweighs how crappy I feel during a race. Also, if one does not feel "crappy", I would say to them "Ride harder...then check back".:p

Possibly if you are having "fun" during a race, then you are not riding to full potential. If you are, then props to you...I am jealous!

·
Rip Van Winkle
310 Posts
Yep, the last race 9 years ago I told myself, this isn't good. Now I'm thinking I will do one race a year and do it for fun, just to give me a goal.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Every race doesn't have to be a suffer-fest. I save it up for a few important races a year. Some races I just show up, when it starts to hurt i'll back off. I'll do my best, but many times i would rather just try to maintain a good rythem in a zone thats under the pain threshold.

Those few races where I go 100%, I am prepared mentally and phsyically to go 100%. Those baby's have been on the calendar for months and the time has come.. pain.. can't feel it on those days! I am so amped up and nervous that I can't help but punch it. On those days it hurts the worst, but if I'm not pushing to the limits.. I would feel worse. Sometimes ya blow, cramp, whatever, but thats racing!

I couldn't race 100% every race, too brutal. It does need to be fun, and its always fun showing up, no matter what pace/place I end up in.

Theres always those oddball days where for some unknown reason everything feels great.. but those days are far and few between.. and always seem to come outa nowhere.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I swear off racing everytime when I go into a race unprepared thinking that my training was "enough," and yeah, I swear at during races but I only have myself to blame for that.

·
Brant-C.
1,072 Posts
i don't think i have sworn off racing.

i have too much fun at them...especially at the team events.

but when i'm suffering during the final lap(s), i think to myself, "What the **** am I doing!"

Then I start praying, "Holy Mother pray for me! Lord Jesus, HELP ME!"

Then I get back to the finish; kiss the wife and kids hello; and talk about it until the next race.

Lots o' fun!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts