Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many days a week, for how long, intensity level, terrain, etc.

I suppose I'll start. I try to ride at least a couple times during the week - usually Mon, Tues, and Wed afternoons. I have the most time on Tues so I go for a uphill trek (1.5 hr climb) followed by a fun downhill run. I try to do the same on Mon and Wed., but finding the time (and energy) is more difficult. I like to ride on Sat. and Sun. and use those days to explore and either do a trail in my area that I haven't done or drive somewhere else - these rides are typically about half a day's worth.

I'm asking because I want to give my body time to recuperate, but I also want to ride alot, of course!

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
You can do five or six days a week. If you're increasing volume, work up slowly. Like +10%/week.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
How many days a week, for how long, intensity level, terrain, etc.

I suppose I'll start. I try to ride at least a couple times during the week - usually Mon, Tues, and Wed afternoons. I have the most time on Tues so I go for a uphill trek (1.5 hr climb) followed by a fun downhill run. I try to do the same on Mon and Wed., but finding the time (and energy) is more difficult. I like to ride on Sat. and Sun. and use those days to explore and either do a trail in my area that I haven't done or drive somewhere else - these rides are typically about half a day's worth.

I'm asking because I want to give my body time to recuperate, but I also want to ride alot, of course!
Everyday! :)

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
When I was racing, I used to ride 5-6 times a week. Usually road bike. Intensity was as hard as possible. Distance was usually anywhere from 17-40 miles, depending on daylight. I used to be able to average 21-28 mph, depending on the course.

Now, I am trying to get back into riding, after 15 years of motocross. Since I only started in Novemeber, it's been a rough winter to start training. I like to get out 4 times a week, usually mountain bike (due to temps at this point). Distance is only anywhere from 9.5-15 miles. Intensity, based on heart rate however, is usually averaging at about 85%, with max heart rates up to 110% of my theoretical max.

·
DFMBA.org
1,874 Posts
Try every other day while you're building up. Maybe even skip 2 days if you're going to go on a really long ride. A lot of people here hit it hard because they've trained their body for years and years but IMO adequate rest is just as important

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Try every other day while you're building up. Maybe even skip 2 days if you're going to go on a really long ride. A lot of people here hit it hard because they've trained their body for years and years but IMO adequate rest is just as important
I do find that after a several hour ride I need a two day break before riding again or my legs feel too weak.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
In the beginning of the season I go twice, start off doing a few hours pretty easy rides.. After that 5 days, harder and more technical, longer, etc

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
841 Posts
I used to ride 3-4 times a week and was too beat to ride more. I now have a coach and ride about 6 times a week (a fair bit of it on road) and more than double the hours and I don't feel as beat. The big thing I learned was that not every ride has to be a hammer ride. My fitness improved much quicker putting in more hours at a moderate pace with some intervals. Also, I'd have at least one recovery ride per week (which is so easy it does nothing for fitness, but it helps recovery.)

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
During the riding season I ride twice during the week and once during the weekend but if possible try to ride twice on the weekend. Off season the bike don't see any use. Week day rides are usually timed, 1 to 1.5 hrs depending on trail and light conditions. Weekend, 1.5+ hrs; depending on the trail.

If you're trying to build up try riding every other day for at least an hour during the week and one long ride during the weekend; increase intensity or time as you develop, then you can decide if you can handle riding on a daily basis.

·
Registered
87 Posts
currently a newer a rider so i'm at about 3-4 days/week for about an hour of some good hills on trails and pavement, hoping to get my first two hour ride in tomorrow with a mix of trails/grass/asphalt, i just a need a day to explore!!!

·
Trailhead Poseur
506 Posts
Three or four times per week, on average. My weekday after work rides are usually about an hour and ~10 miles. On the weekend I can often ride longer and get a ride in the 1.5-2 hour range.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I've gotten back to my older form from 2 years ago when I was Road Riding....being able to not only finish rides, but go hard and strong when I feel like it. Now I'm building up my strength and endurance to join some XC races in the future. I currently ride about 5 times one week, 2 rest days - one of doing absolutely nothing and the other spent doing a recovery jog or easy spin on a trail. If I go harder the previous week then I may take 3 days off completely and feed my body big time to nourish it. I feel like this combo has been working great for me and I'm getting stronger on more rides with experienced riders. I definitely want to get to ride 6 days a week tho and have my body in the "training mode", and be completely all right with it.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Don't go out and attempt my routine. You have to slowly increase your volume like Andrew said. When I first started riding, there's no way I could ride 10 hours in a week.

With that said, you are going to get vastly different responses because everyone isn't riding for the same reason. If it is to prevent a heart attack you can be a weekend warrior.

For an enthusiast, it will be multiple times a week for 2 hours a ride or everyday depending on how serious they are.

For a racer, they will log anywhere from 9-15 hours a week with multiple intensities.

This winter I didn't get to ride much at all and I was burned out. With that said, I picked up my bike again around March 8th.

I ride a long ride on Monday 2-3 hours.
Tuesday - 1-2 hours or off depending on how I feel.
Wednesday - 1-2 hours
Thursday - visit family
Friday - 2-3 hours
Saturday - 2 hours or trail work
Sunday - 2 hours

I'm averaging 9-10 hours a week over the past month excluding my trail work days.

Since I haven't ridden much in the winter I'm trying to just get miles in my legs. Once my on bike fitness improves I'll start ramping up the tempo, especially on the hills. I have to get my climbing legs back. Once that happens, my rides will become shorter and more intense to mimic racing.

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
As a new rider as well, I'm going 3x a week and an avg. of 10-12miles round tirp, although I went on Monday after being off Sunday and my legs were super stiff! I'm not sure what happened, alcohol? lol

I'm planning to increase it to 4 x week - I also play soccer so I try not to ride on Saturdays because if I do both I'm hurting. It is however, amazing how quickly your body takes the extra work when you are consistent.

·
bikerbert
1,082 Posts
4-5 days a week. T/Thu 90 min hill repeats/interval, sat/sun longer rides, wed easy spin when I get the chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
bikerbert
1,082 Posts
Check out one of the "Time Crunched Cyclists" books. Really good templates for all levels of fitness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
589 Posts
Unfortunately my work schedule doesn't allow much time to ride during the week. I can occasionally get in an evening ride. Most of the time I can only ride trails on the weekends. Saturday morning and sunday afternoon. Try to get some hill repeats in when I can't hit trails during the week.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts