Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a daily commuter I got about 6 flat tires this year. How often do you get flat tires on a fatbike. I ask because I'm contemplating riding a portion of an unused railroad track and odds are there is broken glass there...

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Since going tubeless, I burped air out once, I had a flat in the garage once (after sitting overnight). No flats on the trail. Prior to going tubeless, I flatted twice in 4 rides (or so).

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have only had my Moolander for about 14 months now, I live on the bike and just ride around Europe with bags front and back and a tugging a BOB. So far I have only had 1 flat on the rear. I beat this bike much more than I did my last one I had for nearly 16 years (not a fatbike), my Moonlander lets me go places I could not take my last bike and my last bike I would average about 9 flats a year.

·
Anchorage, AK
1,352 Posts
As a daily commuter I got about 6 flat tires this year. How often do you get flat tires on a fatbike. I ask because I'm contemplating riding a portion of an unused railroad track and odds are there is broken glass there...
Daily commuting for two years around anchorage for 2 years with no flats. Then 5 in two days. Ouch. Basically, if your tread is good, you may not get a huge number of flats. But it is all pretty situation dependent.

·
Rocking on a Rocky
1,625 Posts
3 once the snow was gone.

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
:Knocks on wood: none!! Almost twelve months of riding... some pretty hideous rock gardens to boot ^^

·
Registered
164 Posts
started biking since December 28, 2013 almost 5000 kilometers now road, and some light to medium off road trails,

encountered 1 flat couple of months ago but I didn't use a patch since I had tire sealant at that time... I just inflated the tire up to 40 psi and was able to go home without problems after few days I patch up my rear tire even thou pressure is still at 40psi

but now I don't use any tire sealant.. will definitely encounter some flats next time

·
Elitest thrill junkie
34,999 Posts
Riding in rough terrain, either shards of ice or rocks on trails, seem to accelerate tire wear at a very high rate combined w/low pressure. Watch the sidewalls.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Only one in the last two years, a pinch flat from using too low pressure in rocky terrain.

My backup tube was a light tube with a patch. I found out that patching the downhill (non surly) tubes doesn't work. The patch doesn't let the tube stretch. Moral of my story is don't patch lightweight fatbike tubes.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I get about a flat a month. Not a big deal, I ride almost every day, anywhere from 5 to 25 miles depending.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

·
turtles make me hot
11,442 Posts
Not a one since going tubeless a few years ago.

Just started riding a folder to work and haven't tried to convert it yet... Carrying a pump and patches. Not cool.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Over 6,000 Tubeless miles on my Moonlander last winter, zero flats, but did have to add some air after putting a 1/4" cut on a sidewall.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I've had my fatbike for about a week. Rode it 4 times and had a flat on front and rear tire already. I hope this is not going to happen this often. :-(

1 - 20 of 43 Posts