Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
K n e e m o i
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often do you get a new bike/frame? Every year, every two years, every six months? Why?

I just thought it'll be a curious thing to ask. Sponsored racer? Single person with too much money? "I gotta have the latest and greatest or gonna go insane!" type? Work at a bikeshop so you get many discounts? Go nuts.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
not often...

well i'm 16 and i just got a new bike. A specialized hardrock pro. before that i had a redline mini that i raced bmx on in k-garden. then we moved to where there weren't any bmx tracks for over an hour away so we got into mtn. biking. So in like 3rd or 4th grade i got a trek 220. Rode that for along time till it was way too small. I was riding an old trek road bike that WAS top of the line in its time but out dated when i was riding it. After getting out of biking for awhile i got back into it and my parents got me my hardrock. I am going to be getting a urban assult bike soon. Prolly next few months. I'm buying that though so it won't be complete for a while cause i'll prolly build it up from scratch.

So i don't get bikes often. They are too expensive!!! I was going to build a race mtn. bike back in about 7th grade and i was going to build up a bike from a gt zaskar team frame. With a SID and all the best components. Race face cranks and everything. well i had 1500 bucks and ended up buying a dirtbike instead.....bikes are really a ripoff!!!!! they are very over priced, but hey thats what they cost so complaining won't change it.

How often do you get a new bikes or frames??

·
Registered
916 Posts
ibanezrg520kid said:
well i'm 16 and i just got a new bike. A specialized hardrock pro. before that i had a redline mini that i raced bmx on in k-garden. then we moved to where there weren't any bmx tracks for over an hour away so we got into mtn. biking. So in like 3rd or 4th grade i got a trek 220. Rode that for along time till it was way too small. I was riding an old trek road bike that WAS top of the line in its time but out dated when i was riding it. After getting out of biking for awhile i got back into it and my parents got me my hardrock. I am going to be getting a urban assult bike soon. Prolly next few months. I'm buying that though so it won't be complete for a while cause i'll prolly build it up from scratch.

So i don't get bikes often. They are too expensive!!! I was going to build a race mtn. bike back in about 7th grade and i was going to build up a bike from a gt zaskar team frame. With a SID and all the best components. Race face cranks and everything. well i had 1500 bucks and ended up buying a dirtbike instead.....bikes are really a ripoff!!!!! they are very over priced, but hey thats what they cost so complaining won't change it.

How often do you get a new bikes or frames??
Bike are not overpriced, you get what you paid for...

Get a job

·
K n e e m o i
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Megaclocker said:

Get a job
I agree, you do get what you get pay for.

Although from one college Frosh guy a while back, I got the comment, "Why do you spend so much on a bike? It is so stupid, it is just a metal frame with two wheels on it!"

Then I said to him, "Why do you spend so much money upgrading amps, woofers and rims on your 96 Neon? It is just an economy car that is not really worth anything now. You put more money accessorizing your car than you spent buying it. No matter how much money you put into it, it is still a crapass Neon."

Then he shut up. :D

·
Want to vent?
654 Posts
oh my word back in college i would buy(ebay) a new frame and build it from the ground up every year...why you might ask........easy, student loan money.......its super fun paying that back now.... :)

the funny part is you end up having bikes your afraid to ride to class cause they cost too damn much to have chained up outside the class buildings...and you get to explain to your roomates and friends that infamous question as noted above....why do you spend so much? :)

-Boz

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
Hey, he's 16!! I was riding without a helmet while in college, and had no idea that a bike could cost more than $1,000. Live and learn.

Anyway, my first mountain bike was a Specialized HardRock Sport. Toe clips, water bottle cage, what more would I need? Figured I'd have that bike 'til it fell apart.

After nearly a decade of being my trail/commuter bike, learned about front-suspension and got a Trek. Two years later, had some disposable income with nothing better to spend it on, and figured a Blur was worth it considering how passionate I'd become about the sport.
Most expensive thing I ever bought, cars included.

Upgradeitis still hits me now and then, but having the latest/greatest isn't important. I'll ride this bike 'til the frame cracks. Or until I magically come into heaps of money :)

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
The SS Boz said:
oh my word back in college i would buy(ebay) a new frame and build it from the ground up every year...why you might ask........easy, student loan money.......its super fun paying that back now.... :)

the funny part is you end up having bikes your afraid to ride to class cause they cost too damn much to have chained up outside the class buildings...and you get to explain to your roomates and friends that infamous question as noted above....why do you spend so much? :)

-Boz
wow, i think we think identically. I've got my mtb in my room and everytime people come over my friends have to show them my bike cuz they cant believe that it costs several thousand dollars. Luckily I work at a bike shop. I've gone through 2 bikes in less than a year so far and who knows. I may keep my current one and get a singlespeed.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
bikes are overpriced....

Megaclocker said:

Get a job
OK so bikes aren't over priced?? Then why is it for the same price of a bike i could buy a dirtbike? I know you guys don't think bikes are over priced, but they are too expensive. Don't tell me to get a job...you don't know me. I'm a guitar teacher. You know just stating your opinion that bikes are overpriced would have been fine but your getting a little personal telling someone you don't know to get a job. I'm 16years old making $20 an hour teaching guitar. please don't tell me to get a job when i work extremly hard and you know nothing about me.

So if bikes aren't expensive then why should a fork cost 800 bucks....i can but the top of the line motocross forks for alittle over a grand and they are much stronger and can handle much much more than a bike fork. They take way more material than a bike fork to...so why should it cost that much? If you would have looked at what i wrote i said they were overprice, but thats what they cost so there is not point to complaining. Hmmm....i was just stating that they shouldn't cost what they do.

Sure you "get what you paid for" but i could spend that money you spend on a down hill bike and go and do 110' jumps while going 50mph and being 30ft in the air on a motorcycle......much more for your money right there. Don't get me wrong i'm not trying to bash biking in anyway, shape, or form. I'm acutally quiting motocross to devote all my time to biking.

For example on how bike stuff is a rip off. I wear sidi motocross boots. They are the best money can buy. they cost me $350 for a boot that is argued as to be one of the best. Now tell my why a tiny little mtn. bike shoe made by sidi should cast $250+???? Don't say...well its italian leather....so are my boots and it has much much more than the bike shoes. A tinly little carbon sole isn't worth all that extra cash for sure. so explain to me how thats not a rip off?

so like i said i'm not complaing....i know thats what it cost so i deal with it. however they are way overpriced and i was just stating that.

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
They take way more material than a bike fork to...so why should it cost that much?

Hmmm. Now he's got me wondering the same thing..........

·
Don't touch me!
876 Posts
Technology, R&D, testing, materials, limited production runs, advertising, legal fees, blah blah. Yes, a mtn fork uses less materials than a dirt bike fork. Does that mean the mtn fork should cost less? Well, I'll be more than happy to trade my 26# commuter for someone's 19# race rig + cash. My bike has more "material" in it so therefore it's worth more :D.

Your issue is a subjective one. It's really hard (impossible) to quantify the value of products across different industries. A $5000 bicycle or dirt bike. Or a car. Or a big-ass plasma tv. Or a super high end computer with raided 15,000 rpm scuzzy drives w/16mb caches, 4 gb RAM, 2 SLI'd 7800GTXs, and an AMD FX57. Or a bedazzled purse made by a Hilton. Which would you buy? Depends on what you're interests are.

(Just picking a little bit, but my Sidi D5's are Lorica and cost me $175.)

·
Misfit Psycles
2,772 Posts
yes they are but at the same time yes you do. the reason bikes are expensive (overpriced) is because we constantly need the best of the best. bikes with moderate components - the level of components MOST of us actually need and can realistically handle are not too bad.

the market can afford to charge a premium for this years latest and greatest shiny arse bit of marketing genius BECAUSE YOU WILL BUY IT. a high school student wants a SID fork XTR XC racing machine, a great example really.

Get a job

UGH! This isn't going to turn into one of those threads where people are called puzzy and queer etc b/c they have an opinion, is it?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Given that people buy these expensive bikes, one cannot really say they're overpriced. Price is not the same thing as value. Price is a subjective judgment about what people will pay for a given object. Until people are not willing to pay that amount, you can't say they're overpriced.

I will say that the price of today's MTB products bears little relation to their actual value (at least for me I should say). Without a doubt, a $500 bike is leaps and bounds better than a $100 Wal-Mart bike. But is a $4,000 bike really 4 times better than a $1,000 bike? I don't think so. It is probably "better", but not enough to justify a 400 percent increase in cost.

Likewise, I think the amount charged for certain components has absolutely no rational relation to their value. Is a seatpost, a round tube, really worth hundreds of dollars? Is a tube of grease really worth $15? Etc. But we pay it, because we're fools, so they're not overpriced.

I am hopeful, though, that as MTBing grows as a sport more manufacturers will lead to greater competition and lower cost. But I do fear that as MTBing grows it will go the way of the roadies and we'll become snobbish about everything and there will be tremendous negative pressure on anyone daring to ride less than the most expensive products.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Hijack Alert!

OK, now that we've digressed from "How often do you buy a new bike or frame" to "Mountain bikes are too expensive...no they're not....yes they are", I'll do my part to get this train back on track.

In 5 years of mountain biking I have purchased 3 mountain bikes. First bike was a used, fully rigid Giant Yukon. That was replaced after a couple years with a brand new '04 Gaint Warp. The Warp was replaced by my current ride, a Leader 626S.

For me, the process was more of an evolution in my love of the sport, and finding the right bike for my size and riding style. The Yukon go me off the paved paths and into the singletrack world. As I got more and more into it, I decided I would reward myself with a new bike, hence the Warp. I went about a path of upgrading the Warp, and came upon the 626S frame, and swapped out most of the upgraded parts on the Warp to the Leader build. At this point I'm very happy with the ride I have and it's ability to satisfy my riding style. With that said, I will be upgrading the current Marathon S to an AM 1 and hoping this will do it for a while. My intent is to ride the bike and replace parts as they wear out or break. I'm sure in a few years my hand will be foreced, and I'll buy another frame and build from there.

And no, mountian bikes aren't too expensive.

Bob

·
Registered
305 Posts
I don't replace my bike unless its broken or its not worth upgrading the parts on the old frame, however I will spend alot of upgrades over time.

I'd like to say that I find bikes to be expensive but not "too" expensive, or overpriced. Like others have said if people are willing to pay that much thats what the stores are going to sell it for. If its selling its not overpriced. If you are on a budget I think you just need to stay away from the bling, LX level parts will work fine and will cost alot less then XTR

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Bikes are only as expensive as you let 'em be.

There are lots of ways to try and bring down the bite of a new bike. Purchase a close out from last year's model, e-bay, buy used, have a shop-rat buddy get ya a deal, etc, etc.

Comparing a bike and a motorcycle are not exactly the same thing though.

The motorcycle companies have a few things that make them different from bicycle companies. Honda or Harley have an economy of scale that bike companies just can't match (well unless it's a huffy or some sort.). How many models does Honda put out? How does that compare to even a smaller company like KHS? Then how many sizes? There is a variability of bicycles that is not found in the motorcycle world. Finally how often is there a revision or substantial design change? All that will drive up cost.

And unlike some other industries, the bike industry is beholden to it's suppliers, not the other way around.

So yeah, bikes can be expensive. Likewise I can buy a $1000 full suspension, or a $500 hardtail that should be able to take me anywhere I want to go. I could race it too. It's the motor that matters most.

So yes, you can argue that bikes are expensive. As are stereo components, cars, boats, cameras, motorcycles. If you want to compare the $7000 Specialized or Titus at the top of the heap, please compare it against anything else at the top of the heap, not something at the bottom or lower-middle.

JmZ

ibanezrg520kid said:
OK so bikes aren't over priced?? Then why is it for the same price of a bike i could buy a dirtbike? I know you guys don't think bikes are over priced, but they are too expensive. Don't tell me to get a job...you don't know me. I'm a guitar teacher. You know just stating your opinion that bikes are overpriced would have been fine but your getting a little personal telling someone you don't know to get a job. I'm 16years old making $20 an hour teaching guitar. please don't tell me to get a job when i work extremly hard and you know nothing about me.

So if bikes aren't expensive then why should a fork cost 800 bucks....i can but the top of the line motocross forks for alittle over a grand and they are much stronger and can handle much much more than a bike fork. They take way more material than a bike fork to...so why should it cost that much? If you would have looked at what i wrote i said they were overprice, but thats what they cost so there is not point to complaining. Hmmm....i was just stating that they shouldn't cost what they do.

Sure you "get what you paid for" but i could spend that money you spend on a down hill bike and go and do 110' jumps while going 50mph and being 30ft in the air on a motorcycle......much more for your money right there. Don't get me wrong i'm not trying to bash biking in anyway, shape, or form. I'm acutally quiting motocross to devote all my time to biking.

For example on how bike stuff is a rip off. I wear sidi motocross boots. They are the best money can buy. they cost me $350 for a boot that is argued as to be one of the best. Now tell my why a tiny little mtn. bike shoe made by sidi should cast $250+???? Don't say...well its italian leather....so are my boots and it has much much more than the bike shoes. A tinly little carbon sole isn't worth all that extra cash for sure. so explain to me how thats not a rip off?

so like i said i'm not complaing....i know thats what it cost so i deal with it. however they are way overpriced and i was just stating that.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
actually i was going to buy all close out parts

nogearshere said:
yes they are but at the same time yes you do. the reason bikes are expensive (overpriced) is because we constantly need the best of the best. bikes with moderate components - the level of components MOST of us actually need and can realistically handle are not too bad.

the market can afford to charge a premium for this years latest and greatest shiny arse bit of marketing genius BECAUSE YOU WILL BUY IT. a high school student wants a SID fork XTR XC racing machine, a great example really.

Get a job

UGH! This isn't going to turn into one of those threads where people are called puzzy and queer etc b/c they have an opinion, is it?
I'm a fine example of that huh. first off i was in the 7th grade. second is that i was going to buy all my parts as closeouts from the previvous year. Frame, fork, cranks, everything were the previvious years model. I wouldn't have paid full price for them...they weren't worth it to me, but i had found amazingly good deals on those parts is why i chose those. i was going to get the parts almost all half off.

·
Misfit Psycles
2,772 Posts
ibanezrg520kid said:
I'm a fine example of that huh. first off i was in the 7th grade. second is that i was going to buy all my parts as closeouts from the previvous year. Frame, fork, cranks, everything were the previvious years model. I wouldn't have paid full price for them...they weren't worth it to me, but i had found amazingly good deals on those parts is why i chose those. i was going to get the parts almost all half off.
not intended as a shot at you.

perhaps the component comparision was my error, the fact remains a 7th grade student and a $1500 bike is a bit wacked, even at closeout. the fact is you went from top-o-the-line (be it this year, next year or last year) to nothing...instead of making due with the best you could actually afford.

the demand for best or nothing may be one of the things that keep prices high.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
ibanezrg520kid said:
OK so bikes aren't over priced?? Then why is it for the same price of a bike i could buy a dirtbike? I'm a guitar teacher. I'm 16years old making $20 an hour teaching guitar. So if bikes aren't expensive then why should a fork cost 800 bucks.
How come a Gibson Les Paul costs $2000? How come a Fender Custom Shop Strat costs $1600? How come a Martin D-41 costs $3400? Why does a PRS McCarty cost $2500? For the same price I could buy a used pickup truck!

The fact is, SOME bikes are expensive -- the really good ones -- just like the guitars I mentioned. But there are some great deals out there, as well: PRS SE series, Fender Highway 1 series, the faded Gibsons and the Martin 15 or 16 series, for example.

Similarly the Gary Fisher 29ers, some Konas, KHS, Jamis, some Bianchis, Surlys, and others represent stellar values in cycling. They may not be the lightest or the grooviest, but they get the job done without breaking the bank. A creative person could walk out of bike shop with a bike that would give him years of service for about $1200, and it would have parts on it that are better than the parts on the most expensive bikes from ten or fifteen years ago. But like guitars, if you want the best, you're going to have to pay for it. But few players (and few riders) could probably tell the difference between the private reserve stuff and the workhorses anyway.

My advice: Buy a Surly and a Telecaster.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Well, I'm the idiot that lives his life with every intention of not falling into the bling trap, only to find himself doing so. I just ordered a new Specialized Epic from at the LBS. Fourth mountain bike in 6 years of riding, 3 years of racing. First full suspension. I know, I know.

Oh, sure, I puzzled through the soulful ramifications of shelling out the dough for the new bike, and I intellectually came down on the side of "ride what you have and replace what wears out". But emotions are funny things, and I became convinced that the new bike would be the bees knees on the Endurance/Marathon type races I want to start doing more of.

Hey, I'll be that guy who pretends to have to decide, hardtail or fs, on an XC Sunday! Please don't punch me in the face! I race Sport!!

Hell, it'll be a fun ride. And it's not like I live an otherwise lavish lifestyle. Achhh! Consumer guilt! Can I afford this bike? Well, sort of. In the end, I figure I won't be regretting that I couldn't go longer than six months without a credit card balance when I'm on my death bed.

My present race bike was provided frame fork and wheels via a super deal at the LBS, so a lot of the drivetrain and controls came off the earlier ride. This will be the first bike I will have ever bought right out of the box, complete, with, in my world, drool worthy parts. I'm looking forward to riding and racing.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
oh....nah dude i went from top line to bottom cause

nogearshere said:
not intended as a shot at you.

perhaps the component comparision was my error, the fact remains a 7th grade student and a $1500 bike is a bit wacked, even at closeout. the fact is you went from top-o-the-line (be it this year, next year or last year) to nothing...instead of making due with the best you could actually afford.

the demand for best or nothing may be one of the things that keep prices high.
nah dude i didn't go from top of the line to the bottom, because i thought they were a rip off. i did that because i got pissed for the expreiance of racing and getting cheated from 1st out of 7 to 6th out of 7. and my buddy went from 2nd to last. We were doing a race that was a complete mud fest....absoulty no way a bike would come back clean...u would have had to power wash you bike to get them clean cause the mud would hit and stick. well everyone in our class cheated except for us. They all came back with their bikes spotless and our bikes were so muddy we had to have the v brakes un hooked other wise we couldn't move. i was so mad and other people, as in other adult racers, tired sticking up for us, but the people in charged had no hard pro or witnesses that they cheated so we got screwed. I know i didn't do the wrong course cause i would ride that course everyday after school. anyways so that turned me away from mtn. biking and i bought a dirtbike instead of a new bike.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.