Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious how often you guys who ride a lot get injured? Went over the handlebars today, got 5 stitches in my face, banged up my legs. Dislocated my finger in January and had my knee stitched up last year. Several road rash falls in between. minor bangs but I get the comments "you wreck a lot". I ride pretty rough cc single track with about 2000' up/down average 3 times a week. Is this normal behavior?

·
> /dev/null 2&>1
3,824 Posts
I wreck a couple times a year. Usually just some dirt rash. Last one I had was doozie - concussion and bad intercostal sprain. But usually not bad. I think a couple minor crashes a year is a good balance, you have to push the limits . . . and if you're not a little out of control (once and a while) you're not pushing yourself or learning.

For a while I was washing out a lot, trying to keep up with faster riders, and, it turned out I really had no idea how to corner correctly. I thought I did, but I really had a 1990's conception of correct cornering. A few videos, some skills drills, and a lot of practice on the trail and I'm feeling the flow now.

But, sounds like you had a bad year, you might be either pushing it too hard, or you might be missing something fundamental . . . and a good skills camp or a lesson at the park this summer would help you see where your riding is lacking.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I think I fall a few times a year and I've never had a serious injury from biking. Minor fracture in a finger last year, but the injuries that have had serious long term impacts on my athletic ability came from either soccer or rock climbing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was def pushing today. Didn't speed check going down a steep decent into a shallow creek bottom. Fast and not far enough behind the seat. Iv done this one right 100 times. Most my crashes are speed related, missed/washed out turns. Skills course would be a good refresher.

·
Content from my avatar
4,355 Posts
I try not to crash while "just riding" or not racing. Sure, accidents happen, but they also take away from riding time. Come to think of it, all my crashes that me off the bike for a few days have been during races. Partly from riding in unfamiliar territory, but also from riding at 110% and taking risks that I otherwise wouldn't take.

·
Banned
1,502 Posts
Big difference between going down and actually hurting my self. Ill separate from my bike a few times each year. It actually causes lingering pain about once a year.

Considering some of the stuff im doing, i really dont want to imagine a full on yard sale. My crashes are 99% slow speed. Come up on a corner way to hard, realize i wont make it and wind up going into the bushes after braking to a near stop kinda stuff. Went OTB on a rock garden decent a few weekends ago. That one had me limping for a week and needing a few repairs on the bike. Hopefully that was my sacrifice for the year.

·
Registered
252 Posts
It depends what you mean by "Wreck" I almost never REALLY hurt my self. I OTB every so often but its usually very slow. I used to wreck a lot more than I do now. I used to push through dicey situations and try to save it. Now I stop and go back and try again instead of trying to force through a bad situation. I draw blood on about 50% of my rides but almost always that's just the superficial sort of stuff with no lingering effects. Actually since giving up on many years of riding without gloves and buying some full finger ones I don't bloody up my hands anymore so that removes a lot of my bleeding. If I rode with some sort of leg protection I would probably never bleed on a ride again... But then where would the fun be in that? I do bloody my left shoulder every so often clipping trees. I never have figured out why I clip trees when cornering to the left but not when going to the right... Odd isn't it? I have a bunch of T-shirts with torn left sleeves from tree contact. Ok... That's all I got on that topic.

·
Registered
437 Posts
When I first started riding, about 15 years ago, I wrecked all the friggin' time. Scraped knees and elbows. Then in 2004 smashed my collar bone doing a 6' drop. I stopped doing drops after that. Well, maybe a foot. But my skill is much better these days, combined with the fact that I just don't take the crazy risks like I used to - so I very rarely wreck. Well.. my front wheel has washed out on a loose corner a couple times this year. But there's a big difference between the last few years, and the first few years, in how often I eat it.

·
Off the back...
2,278 Posts
I have developed an aversion to crashing. So much so that I wreak havoc on my body as I use extreme body English to keep myself upright. I'm pretty sure the strained muscles and days of pain are worse than the wee scrapes I would otherwise receive.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I went 4 years on my first Kona only crashing ONE time.. It was a 21' Blast that was a little to big for me with a super-long stem and toe-clips. It ended up being perfect for a non-racer like myself. The one time I crashed was actually on a flat grassy surface where there was a hole you couldn't see. 4 years of riding every weekend (and then some) and one crash. I then got a smaller bike with a short stem and I proceeded to go over the handle-bars twice on my very first ride. I got used to one kid of bike, a bike everybody would have said is "all wrong," and once I started riding a smaller bike with no stem I could barely stay on it. I have bikes that fit me better now.

Anyways, I went over the handlebars the other day and got banged up, that was on cement. The track I used to ride all the time, and is still my favorite tech single track, is all kinds of washed out in places it never used to be, and I notice myself bailing out to the side a couple times a ride. Not really "crashes," but small wipe-outs. Basically, I suck now a bit. I was kind of a natural when I started, but I lost it along the way after a couple/few years off.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Difference between crashing and getting injured. My body probably hit the ground 3 times last year (that I can recall), which is about average for me. A minor slide-out due to loss of traction, a moment of inattention, or (more usual) stalling out picking my way down a steep rock garden, resulting in a slow roll out or get off, as I like to call them. One actually resulted in my first 'injury' in several years.

I would say I have only had 4 actual injuries in 15 yrs on the bike now. 2 required medical attention. Ironically, on both, I was not going more than 5 mph, and just came off the bike at the wrong time in the wrong place -- 9 out of 10, they would have been simple "get offs".

Road rash -- are you hitting the ground on a road bike? I don't get that -- I've gone 6 yrs and about 15k miles on my road bike and haven't touched the ground, or really even come close. I know guys who crash on their road bikes a couple times a year, and I just don't understand how/why they do it.

edit: ok, that's not totally true. My seatpost broke last fall, and I fell off the back of my road bike. Hurt like crazy, too - pavement is hard! But I'm not counting that one as my fault!

·
GONE
25,529 Posts
I generally have one minor crash and several fall overs each year. The fall over I had a few weeks ago is going to leave a scar on my belly. Gnarly crashes? I've had 2 or 3 since 1998. I'm not a super aggro rider. I like to keep my tires on the ground for the most part but I do like speed. Crashing is just a risky part of this activity. Take it or leave it.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Major high speed OTB once or twice a year. A fair amount of loop outs, slides, and things like that. No major off the bike injuries, but several lengthy nagging injuries. Rib/thumb/knee/shoulder/gashes. I don't go to the doc unless I absolutely have to.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I crash maybe once a ride, but havent gotten hurt badly yet. Bruised ribs were the worst.

Yesterday on my home trail it was raining, I hucked off a small (1.5 ft) ft root drop and my front wheel slid out. I somehow managed to land on my feet, but completely separated from the bike.

Another recent ride I was hauling ass around a totally flat, winding trail with a lot of large and small trees. The sun got in my eyes while I went around a corner and I missed a sapling which caught my bar. I went down hard on that one.

My worst crashes have all been endos from going too slow off drops, but these days mostly just washouts or not making a switchback.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts