Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bolts/ fasteners for the rear linkages in the suspension; how often do you give them a good thorough check to ensure they aren’t loosening or backing out.

After one good downhill day I found a loose bolt on my pivot link. The manual specs threadlocker and instead the threads were greased so now I’m going to go through the rear end. (2021 bike)

Just got me thinking, aside from improper assembly how often do you generally look over your fasteners?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm paranoid about linkage bolts because they've backed out on me before too - a loose bolt for even one day of hard riding can be enough to nuke a bearing or two. I give them a once over any time the bike is in the stand to lube the chain or whatever, definitely worth the small amount of effort imo

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Regular trail riding, I check them after 2 rides. My rear shock bolt always needs a turn. Occasionally, another linkage bolt will also need a turn, but that rear shock bolt must get a lot of stress.

I recently did a big day in the mountains, and that loosened them up after a day. More rowdy = check more often.

·
Magically Delicious
14,188 Posts
Properly prepare your fasteners and install then in accordance with OEM specifications and you should not have to have a continual inspection program to determine if they are tight.

Properly clean the threads, apply grease or thread fastener and torque in accordance with specifications and you should be golden.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Gaining Capt. usually clears that hurdle
Yeah.
F/O: "How come you don't make these mistakes?
Capt: "Because I'm experienced".
F/O "How'd you get that experience"?
Capt: "I already made all those mistakes and lived to tell about it".

I think I read somewhere that once a guy hits about 35, you might as well let him out of prison. By then his "T" level is low enough that he's probably human again.

·
Registered
Status 140, NS Suburban
465 Posts
The bolts/ fasteners for the rear linkages in the suspension; how often do you give them a good thorough check to ensure they aren't loosening or backing out.

After one good downhill day I found a loose bolt on my pivot link. The manual specs threadlocker and instead the threads were greased so now I'm going to go through the rear end. (2021 bike)

Just got me thinking, aside from improper assembly how often do you generally look over your fasteners?
As per documentation:

Tires, brakes , chain every ride
Bolts once per month
Suspension once per year

Etc…

Read bike manual that comes with frame for torque, lockrite and maintenance guide

Cheers

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.