Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 392 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Now that my light is up and running, I'm toying with the idea of doing a small run of casings to sell on to fund my future projects.
I was wondering how much people would be prepared to pay for a CNC machined casing.

My light is based around 3 R2 or Q5 LED's. I have re-designed it slightly but would be very similar to the photo's but without so much heatsinking around the front as it is not needed.

Any feedback would be good. I could possibly supply all the parts needed for self-assembly including all screws/o-rings/LED's/battery connector and switch/handlebar mount/battery.....

Cheers

Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
520 Posts
Interesting. I was thinking the same thing. I've been working on a design for the past while. At first for myself and maybe a couple friends, but recently I've been thinking of seeing if there was any interest in doing a run CNCd properly.

Reading your sig, it looks like you do CNC work, do you guys do small runs? Is there an hourly rate, or what would I need to know or provide to get a quote?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Gillestugan,

I'm a wannabee diyer because, up to doing this project, I had no idea what I was doing :(
I've leaned heaps and have had loads of help from all the guru's on here. Yeah, the casing is anodised. I think I'd probably go for black if I do a run though. :)

Steve

·
Off the back...
2,304 Posts
deesta said:
Thanks pinkrobe,

I'm not sure if the housing will handle MCE's.I don't have any to try but Troutie was going to try one but don't know whether he has done it yet..
Cool. I'm giving a WAG that the dimensions are 1.5" H x 2" D x 3.5" W, and with the amount of finning you are likely at almost 40 sq.in. of surface area. That would be a reasonable amount of surface for a triple MC-E, given the 2 sq.in. per watt guideline.

·
Registered
192 Posts
@deesta I assume the three images of lights that is taken in the back yard is of the light your displaying with a single light followed by two lights on and then a third is that correct or am I wrong so could you clear those images up to what they represent please.

How much would you charge for the CNC machined body plus all lights installed ready to be used that is pretty impressive and thanks for showing. BTW a black housing would be my choice of anodising.

I'm currently running AY-UP lights and I can get them for $121 so that would be my price matching point if that helps too what I would be prepared to pay.

·
Bandolero
2,438 Posts
bikeny did something similar, but I recall even though people expressed interest, he only sold a few.

Heatstroke did the same earlier this year, selling them for $60 and was sold out.

I've paid $45 for triple/quad housings turned on a lathe without a mount, which was a bargain.

I'd say $85 for your housing and mount would be what I would be willing to pay. I'd love one but I've got 2 housings sitting around waiting for me to put the guts into them.

·
aka RossC
936 Posts
notaknob said:
bikeny did something similar, but I recall even though people expressed interest, he only sold a few.
That was the thread that came to mind when i read Deesta's proposal. People are all very keen until it comes time to spend the money.

Part of the problem with that thread was that the price wasn't clear before people expressed interest. If you are clear about exactly what it is going to cost people up front, then you will probably be more successful.

Since you have direct access to the CNC rather than paying someone else to run a batch, you can probably have a little more margin to work with.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
}SkOrPn--7: The beamshots are of 3 different settings using a bFlex. The top one is on low, middle on medium and bottom on high. The bFlex has 5 settings so just did the top/middle and bottom settings. All 3 LED's are lit at the same time.

Cheers, Steve

·
Banned
7,930 Posts
I think you should sell them in the white... paying for anodizing will kill you on pricing, unless you can get a lot of pieces together to send off to the plating shop. Let the new owner do the anodizing color of their choice.

·
Off the back...
2,304 Posts
ocean breathes salty said:
notaknob said:
That was the thread that came to mind when i read Deesta's proposal. People are all very keen until it comes time to spend the money.

Part of the problem with that thread was that the price wasn't clear before people expressed interest. If you are clear about exactly what it is going to cost people up front, then you will probably be more successful.

Since you have direct access to the CNC rather than paying someone else to run a batch, you can probably have a little more margin to work with.
I agree with OBS - if you want to get people to buy, pick a price, post it and see what happens. If you ask your market for a price, it will end up being too low. Somebody will say, "Oh wow, that's the best one I've ever seen - $150!", but the next guy will say, "It's red, I don't like red, shipped to Alaska, $23.50". All of a sudden, $23.50 is your price.

You know what your cost is, so add in what you feel is a reasonable margin and set S/H above and beyond that. You might also want to consider a group buy for full kits, so that you have a number of quasi-confirmed orders and know how many emitters, drivers, etc. to buy. The housings are easy, since you create your own inventory as you go.

My $0.02...

·
Registered
587 Posts
got a little experience here

My DIY done cheap case is machined but not 100% as I start with rectangular aluminum tubing. (I provide all material up front) My machinist then does the following:

cuts to length
mills the grooves on 3 sides
bevels the edges
mills a lip in the front for the poly face plate to sit
drills 4 holes with threads in the rear
deburs all surfaces

Cuts the L-bracket from stock material
Cuts the back plate to size and drills 4 holes

He does this for about $25.00 each (if I order 25 or more)

I think this is a steal.

I've had moderate success selling these cases at from $20 - $35. I haven't tried too hard to sell them even though I have been using them for my builds for over a year without problem. I haven't validated them at temperature completely for different setups. (R2, MCE, XP-E). I'm pretty confident they are more than satisfactory, in terms of thermal transfer, for 2xR2 leds but I don't know yet for MC-E or 6xR2(XP-E). I don't think it is a good idea to build a case, stuff some leds in there with a driver and then limit it's output due to poor thermal management.

Looking at the OP's case I would say he has a very robust design and worth spending some money on. But before good money is put out I would want to know if I can run it with the leds I chose at the power level desired without sacrifice.

·
I spelled Knievel wrong
217 Posts
Pinkrobe is right. You should charge enough to make it worth your time, trying to keep up with incoming orders on the side gets to be not so much fun if you aren't making any money on the deal. Your housing is beautiful and executed well above the DIY level so don't try to appease all the bargain hunters, nice CNC'd stuff isn't for everyone and there are other cheaper options out there.

Re: putting MC-Es in there... I've played with MC-Es for a while now and I bet it could easily handle 3 of them as long you use a driver with thermal sensing capability like the maxflex or hipflex. The cool thing about the 3 emitter arrangement you have is that you can build it with a few different MC-E/XR-E combinations and really get a good balance of output and beam quality. I'm thinking 2 XR-Es and 1 MC-E all in series, driven with maxflex, you'd be over 1000 lumen easy and be able to get a really nice spot/flood combo.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I could also be interested in one of your cnc light box. I really like your design, well done made with a touch off an "old school" look.
At the moment I am building my own 2xMCE maxflex3 head-mounted light and therefore I am missing a bar-mounted light.

1 - 20 of 392 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.