Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every couple rides will get completely wrecked by dehydration. I dont think im drinking enough daily and constantly.

Ive heard half your weight in oz is decent but that seems alot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
In my experience, the speed of hydration is pretty quick. It only takes minutes for what I drink to have an effect...like fixing dry eyes and allowing me to sweat if it's hot. Drink too much and 1/2 hour later I'll start peeing it out. Drinking days before a ride doesn't help me. Drinking soon before and during the ride does. I don't keep track of what I drink on a daily basis. I do purposefully drink before riding. While riding I drink when thirsty.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Half your lbs as oz seems like a reasonable amount. When I attempt to drink about 30% more than that (a gallon for me) it is a stretch, but has some benefits.

I don't measure any more, outside of what I bring on a ride. I know I need to drink more if it isn't coming out nearly clear.

While riding, I drink more than a lot of folks, even when I am in good shape. It comes out to about 12% of my lbs as oz per hour (24 oz, but 36 if it is hot, less if it is cool).

When I am a little out of shape, or if riding for at least a couple hours, my water has low or no calorie electrolytes in it (Nuun) to prevent cramps.

·
9 lives
17,680 Posts
There is a simple formula you can use to determine the right amount of water consumption each day. The formula is: Your body weight ÷ 2 = Optimal H2O Intake. The optimal amount of water to drink is ½ your body weight (pounds) in ounces per day.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
I have a 52oz bottle that I try to drink two of a day plus whatever incidental liquid I take in...such as my morning protein shake which is 16oz of almond milk...sometimes an unsweet tea if I eat out...in the evening if I partake in an adult beverage...though alcohol does have a dehydrating effect. Usually not half my weight in oz though but I pee clear most of the time and I have to hit the John within 10 minutes of drinking anything so far as I can tell I'm fairly well hydrated. But on the bike I will drink as much as 50-100oz of water. I'm a heavy sweater so I definitely need it. I know when I'm starting to get dehydrated because I'll get a headache.

·
Formerly of Kent
13,080 Posts
I’d be drinking 72oz a day. That’s way, way too low for me here in CO.

If I was sedentary, maybe. But I drink at least a gallon a day here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,233 Posts
Seems like it depends on what you're doing too. Using that formula I'd be at about 80oz, which is about 4 regular water bottles. I easily drink that much on a 4 hour ride, maybe more.

I usually drink about 1 bottle an hour on rides but intensity and weather can alter that. Also it's best to start the ride hydrated and drink plenty after. A weight check before and after a hard ride is revealing. It's no big deal for me to drink a gallon or so in a day.

·
Cycologist
10,085 Posts
It depends on a lot of things. Just as part of my normal diet, I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables so I get water from that along with the water I drink.

Rough guess:

4 cups of coffee: 32 oz
water with lunch/during the day: 20 oz
water with dinner: 20 oz
other water: 8 oz

total: 80 oz

If I ride or do a lot of yardwork/out in hot sun, that goes up. I'm around 150lbs so looks like I hit your formula on a normal non-riding day and drink a lot more if I ride. And coffee is not a diuretic like a lot of people think.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Yeah, um, not quite, also have to factor in where you live in the world, heat, altitude, etc. Down here in the Tropics where it's either hot, hotter, or really fvcking hot and most people don't have the luxuury of AC, I drink a min of 3 litres a day, that does not include if I do any yard work, trail work or ride. More when it's hotter and I will regularly add a electrolyte tab once or twice a week to a glass even when doing nothing, always take a bottle with it when I ride.

There is a simple formula you can use to determine the right amount of water consumption each day. The formula is: Your body weight ÷ 2 = Optimal H2O Intake. The optimal amount of water to drink is ½ your body weight (pounds) in ounces per day.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Yeah, um, not quite, also have to factor in where you live in the world, heat, altitude, etc. Down here in the Tropics where it's either hot, hotter, or really fvcking hot and most people don't have the luxuury of AC, I drink a min of 3 litres a day, that does not include if I do any yard work, trail work or ride. More when it's hotter and I will regularly add a electrolyte tab once or twice a week to a glass even when doing nothing, always take a bottle with it when I ride.
I'd consider the formula as a baseline that will get most people in the ballpark. Everyone is different of course...based on their own physiology as well as the factors you mentioned. For me...I feel like I can drink less than half my body weight...thank goodness. Otherwise I'd probably drown. But if I drink even 25% less than what I do (100oz min.) then I definitely feel it. That's just a normal sedentary day. Like you said...if it's hot out and I'm outside doing yard work, riding, anything that makes me sweat...I try to increase by at least 50% because I'm a heavy sweater.

·
Registered
615 Posts
This started with rides "wrecked by dehydration". I don't think a formula is going to work. My anecdotal evidence from myself and others I ride with is that everyone is different. Every different, If you are a person that sweats a lot, you will need a greater intake for an extended effort. If you are a person that sweats out lots of salts when you sweat, you will need more than just water after a liter or two of plain water. If you are on the extreme end of the salty sweat types, you might want to start out you efforts with a replenishing drink instead of waiting and only starting with water.

Drinking too much water can be just as bad as too little. As a person on one end of the spectrum, I actually start to get sick if I drink too much water. With pre-hydration less than one hour before a ride, I can ride for a long time at a high exertion level without anything. My wife is the opposite, and she would almost need medical attention on a similar ride if she didn't hydrate. She often drinks over a liter per-hour.

I would slowly drink water throughout the day until you need to urinate every hour or two. Then try a ride that has caused trouble before while drinking when you think you have lost what you are putting in, or you feel thirsty. If that isn't enough to solve it, I think the underlying issue isn't really just hydration. A sweat test might help with additional analysis.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Note, that was just plain water I was talking about, nothing to do with my 3-4 8oz cups of tea a day I drink ;)

As has been mentioned, drinking too much can also be bad for you and I maybe do (might be slightly addicted), that's why despite not doing any strenuous activity some weeks, I still pop a electrolyte tab to help keep things at a good level. OP should probably also consider getting some electrolyte tabs or energy/sports drink to keep those levels up along with increasing how much just water they drink.

I'd consider the formula as a baseline that will get most people in the ballpark. Everyone is different of course...based on their own physiology as well as the factors you mentioned. For me...I feel like I can drink less than half my body weight...thank goodness. Otherwise I'd probably drown. But if I drink even 25% less than what I do (100oz min.) then I definitely feel it. That's just a normal sedentary day. Like you said...if it's hot out and I'm outside doing yard work, riding, anything that makes me sweat...I try to increase by at least 50% because I'm a heavy sweater.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Don't forget to look at the color of your pee. If it's light colored, you're drinking enough. If it's more darker yellow, either you should drink more or you're taking something the colors it, like excess vitamin C, B2, supplements like tumeric, etc...

·
Registered
17,233 Posts
Don't forget to look at the color of your pee. If it's light colored, you're drinking enough. If it's more darker yellow, either you should drink more or you're taking something the colors it, like excess vitamin C, B2, supplements like tumeric, etc...
Color is a good indicator but not all that accurate. I'm listening to a trainer road episode right now and they were saying that specific gravity pee strips are best.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Note, that was just plain water I was talking about, nothing to do with my 3-4 8oz cups of tea a day I drink ;)

As has been mentioned, drinking too much can also be bad for you and I maybe do (might be slightly addicted), that's why despite not doing any strenuous activity some weeks, I still pop a electrolyte tab to help keep things at a good level. OP should probably also consider getting some electrolyte tabs or energy/sports drink to keep those levels up along with increasing how much just water they drink.
Yeah...that's true. Too much water without replacing electrolytes can dilute what's there. Not a bad idea...especially for the water you are drinking during activity...to add some electrolytes of some sort. I usually just add a little salt and salt substitute and a touch of epsom salt. To counter the salty taste I'll add in a packet of flavoring.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.